trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We notice everything.

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beck is much more creative and enjoyable to listen to. Beckham sounds like a gecko selling insurance…

davez repped this.
  3. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

run_it_out repped this.
  4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    run_it_out repped this.
  5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1434971031249297412 is not a valid tweet id

6. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Not thrilled with bringing in a 32 y.o. midfielder/defender.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    ...another midfielder / outside defender. Not sure how he really moves the needle. We're not even finding much use for Fierro. If Jebo is going to be out for a while, I guess we need another forward instead? Or if he plays in central midfield, to replace whom? Jackson? Remedi? Judson? Not a position of need right now. We mostly need someone who scores goals.

Sactown Soccer, SJTillIDie and davez repped this.
  8. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The roster lockdown date for the rest of the season is tomorrow.

With Jebo out a forward would be nice, but if it is this guy or nothing...take a flyer on him. We've seen Fierro and Rios...and they don't help us....this guy might be better as a wingback or centrally. Imo, just showing interest in this guy's skill set means someone is leaving either now or end of season.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Now that the season is coming to a close we have seen plenty of the roster to be able to build a concrete opinion on what the direction of the team needs to be moving forward with the new GM.

When it comes to MA, I am truly indifferent as to what they decide to do with him. I may be higher on him then most here but it is clear that he requires much better talent to work with in order for his system to be successful. It will, however, be important that the new GM be the end-all be-all when it comes to roster management.

Now, on the positive end of the spectrum, this season has shown that players like JT, Nathan, Judson, Lopez, and Beason have become unquestioned starters for us. The emergence of Nathan and Beason has really shored up and strengthened our defense so it is something to build upon. My personal hope is that MA gives Jacob Akaryngie a shot at playing in the back three alongside those two to see if there is something there for next season or if we need to look at offseason additions.

Fierro, Rios, Alanis, Vega, and Abecasis should not be part of the team moving forward. Abecasis is already on the wrong side of 30 and can be easily replaced as a depth piece by younger players within MLS. This will create more than $2.5M in salary cap space to work with which can should be used to get 5-6 quality players on much more reasonable salary figures.

Chofis is a good player and has been getting better and better as the season has gone on. I would very much like to retain him at a reasonable price and play im as a wide forward on the right where he has been the most effective.

With Jebo we have already signed a CF that we badly needed but also need him to stay healthy. I think it is finally time to say goodbye to Wondo and send him into retirement while looking to add a back-up striker from within the MLS ranks to compete with Kikanovic and Cowell.

Right back is going to be a major need. Marie should not be anything but depth off the bench as he is just not good enough and his prospects of improving are slim as he is already in his mid-20s. I feel like this should be a big priority in the offseason.

Yueill, Judson, and Remedi should all be retained for next season. Judson is indispensable to our team as the ballwinner and all-out husling machine. JY needs to take a big step next season and show that this year has just been an anomaly for him. Having said all that, we still need a quality ACM so that Remedi can be coming off the bench as a rotational player. This is another area where we need to prioritize our reasources in the off season.

Cowell, Espinoza, and Salinas (if he still intends to play) are good option on the flanks and Cowell can also play forward. I am expecting Cowell to also take the next step with his development next season and work on his technical skills so that he can augment his pace and strength.

If Leitch does indeed become the new GM then I would be much more optimistic seeing that Nathan and Jebo were acquired by him. He knows the league so a lot of the depth pieces can and should be obtained from within MLS or even a quality RB or CB via trades. I would like to see him scouting the international markets for a ACM like Reynoso or a Zalareyan who would be great fits for us.

Sactown Soccer and davez repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don’t disagree with too much there but Nathan was a Jesse acquisition. He deserves credit for that one. It was one of his few really solid base hits. Let’s call it a double over the wall.

11. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he decided on the Quakes.
    https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18178639327151912/
    Saul Sosa 18 year old FWD American from Levante in Spain

─I can play both ends and as a center forward, but I like to attack more on the right wing because, although my good leg is the right one, my left is at the same level. I like to enter the area and finish across.

›› If my team is behind on the scoreboard or the game is very close, I am always there. If you need the goal, I'll give it to you. That is not what many players today have.

12. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he deleted the instagram story but here is a screenshot
    1442975991903801344 is not a valid tweet id

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    So this is a guy who was in the Timbers academy, then played in H.S. for a year or something and then went to train with Levante, but not 1st team.

There are a few highlights of him playing in Spain in academy games or whatever they were. He didn't stand out too much to me. Looks like speed could be an issue.

Based on his comments, he doesn't lack confidence.

Beckham7 repped this.
  14. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Do we have any indication that this guy is legit? I don't know anything about anything, but it smells to me like he (or his agent if he has one) is trying to drum up some interest and is just throwing some MLS names out there. I doubt that some kid no one has ever heard of is able to just waltz in and grab a senior contract. But I'll look forward to being proven wrong!

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not that I've seen.

16. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He would be signed to the as yet unformed U23 squad project. So, as you say, he would not be grabbing a senior contract.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Diego Luna is continuing to show consistent form in USL.

According to Transfermarkt he has 7 goals and 4 assists in 25 games. He has started 62% of the games and played 64% of available minutes. If Chofis does not return to the Quakes next year, Luna could be a potential option to pursue and play in a similar role.

While Chofis seems to be the better scoring option, he looks his best playing right forward/winger and that means Espinoza ends up playing elsewhere and having less impact.

Luna is best centrally in a false 9 or even traditional 10 role and looks stronger and more physical on defense. He is only 18 and would not need an international slot. Also should be more cap friendly and might even qualify for a homegrown designation (I don't know how the rights work if a player is on a professional contract in a different league before being acquired by an MLS team. Looking at Caden Clark in NY, it seems he played on a professional contract at Red Bulls ll in USL before the NYRBs bought his homegrown rights from Minnesota United and now he has a homegrown contract with the first team.)

I don't know if he is on the typical one year USL contract at El Paso. I imagine another MLS team could trade with the Quakes for his homegrown rights or maybe even just sign him to a senior deal without compensation to SJ.

xbhaskarx, Beckham7 and JazzyJ repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Heard a rumor he is looking at Europe. Doesn't mean he will get a contract there but he is pursuing it. He is out of contract at El Paso.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Here are multiple angles of the goal. Notice how Cade nutmegs the defender with the pass. Only play he could have fit it in.

markmcf8 repped this.
  21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was sweet...also loved seeing him eliminate the defender challenging for the ball at the start of the sequence...hip checked him to the ground...bought himself a ton of time to get his head up and pick out the pass.

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Does Seattle let Rowe go after his penalty miss?

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you channeling Falvo?

Who knows? Who cares?

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think I would have expected your response if I had posted that in the "other teams results thread". Since this is the "free agency ideas" thread.....

I dunno, maybe I was thinking that the Quakes could consider acquiring him?

markmcf8 and davidjd repped this.
  25. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowe is a douche. No thank you.

Earthshaker repped this.