trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sort of a good point, although it is the MLS owners who voted him in without requiring him to build an SSS. So they knew they were giving him a $100-300M advantage. That doesn’t make him a hypocrite, that makes him a better businessman, right?

Yes, he joined an organization with revenue-sharing. That doesn’t mean he can’t bitch at them about eating his lunch at the same trough.

And yes, he’s standing on the shoulders of the legacy owners. Isn’t that the American way? No respect to the people who came before you because our twitter and facebook timelines don’t go back that far.

Quakes05 repped this.
  2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't disagree, but I'm going to call him out on it, since I think it makes him look like an idiot. I'll clarify and say that I want every owner to be putting as much money into their teams (particularly their rosters) as they can. My point is really only that Blank is a newcomer to the league, he's had a lot of early success with his team thanks to investments that paid off big time, and a fair amount of luck.

Early success is not a guarantee of continued success, and thinking you can simply spend more to become more competitive has serious drawbacks that even huge sums of money won't overcome. Thankfully he has people who seem to be good at the soccer ops side of things, because he, personally, doesn't seem to understand the larger soccer market at all.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Just a curiosity question. If the Quakes said they weren’t going to add a DP but suddenly signed a guy like Pizzaro from Monterrey would everyone be happy? Or would it be more like “He’s not Hernandez”?

4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    I’d be confused.

mjlee22 repped this.
  5. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    If there guy is better than what we have now then I would be happy. Unfortunately our talking heads have said they are done with signings until winter. There is no ambition to improve us right now

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This is most likely the case, but if the Quakes felt “burned” by the Pulido signing by SKC because the press leaked SJ interest in him, I would expect them to negotiate in secrecy with any other players that might want to join Almeyda in SJ.

So they say “nothing’s going to happen” and then pull off the deal.

7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Not only did they say 'nothings going to happen' but they laid out their plan for competing without spending money. A plan that is already being implemented.

I personally don't think this is an elaborate ruse to fool other teams.

One thing nobody is talking about is that Jesse did say we will sign a young South American DP this summer or next winter. My guess would be a 1-3m fee. He would be a 'development' player but it seems natural he would be a starter for us. If we can flip him for a profit we can repeat the process. I'm at least a little interested to see how that works out.

8. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    It would be very easy to say "we are always looking for the opportunity to sign a player that can help the first team" and that leaves the door open to do something or do nothing, instead they said no more signing until winter at the earliest.

I know people want to believe in the upside but the Quakes have not lied to us, they just never fulfill the upside.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    how many times have we heard that? "when the seasons effectively over and it's a moot point, we'll get that big time player all you ungrateful sods have been clamoring for."

:D

these guys must know that this was the wrong off season to do absolutely nothing. I really don't understand it...this is the one year when one marquee signing could've done so much good; we've got the coach, we have a handful of good players, there were times last year when we played well...we just needed that little extra quality, at both ends, and a player with some marketability and *boom* we're building on last season, instead...

...nada. feels like we took a giant step backwards just as we had a little momentum and goodwill building.

shame.

bostero24 repped this.
  10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes had better come out the gates like gangbusters or there are going to be lots of empty seats at Avaya by mid-May...

11. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Yeah, it occurred to me I might have fell for it again. Hopefully it happens.

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It’s not an easy schedule to start the season with either. Toronto who spend more than anyone. MN who we really struggled with last year and looks like they’re making some improvements in this off season. Then off to philly and we never do well on the road and we lost to philly last year too.

I do think it’s important that we win at least one of those games because it’s going to be really depressing if we don’t.

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In no universe anywhere would anyone in their right mind not be ecstatically happy if we could get Pizzaro.

14. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do something. Bring some excitement. Don’t just tread water. Professional franchises need to reel in fans by making moves and showing ambition. What is exciting about the Quakes right now?

15. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If they seriously have no plans to sign any more players, then I'm in favor of them saying so. No point in stringing fans along thinking a signing will happen only for it not to. Same reason I think teams that are purposefully intending to tank in order to rebuild should say so. Give your customers as much information as they need to make a decision on whether or not to spend their money on you.

I'm not happy that they didn't sign more players, of course, but there's no false hope about what might happen before the season starts.

16. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    we have some decent bobbleheads apparently, if you're still willing to pony up the big dollars for fisherball.

17. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they pretty much have said so without saying so, if you read the very latest comments from Jesse.

18. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think we'll be better this year, but next year we'll see significant change. They've pointed to 2021 as the season Almeyda will predominately have his guys.

I harp on it, but having Vako still under contract is slowing us down both on the field and in our ability to bring in other quality players. Jesse seems to be a very nice guy, but I'm not blown away by the job he's done up to this point acquiring talent...he pulled a rabbit out of the hat by hiring Almeyda. His relationship with Almeyda will keep him around, but going all in on Vako was really poor...unless Almeyda can permanently break him of all his bad habits....which he reverted to under more defensive pressure in the last third of the season.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Now that Tanner Tessmann has signed for FC Dallas I wonder if Edwin Cerrillo will be traded? He is young, has MLS experience and could fill in for Yuiell during his absences. Of course we now have no roster openings and we know Jesse never wants to acquire MLS players from other teams. Maybe Jack Skahan will be trained for that role.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It’ll be very interesting to see how they try to replace Wondo. My guess is they’ll try to talk him out of retirement.

To go out and purchase a player like Wondo is going to cost much more than we’ve already been paying.

However we should know how this club operates- it’s been pretty consistent over the years. I suspect they will spend mildly big for a Wondo replacement (if he actually retires) but they will cut back every where else to make up for it.

I definitely don’t think we’ll be big spenders next year. Probably an incremental increase only.

21. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is only one Wondo...truly a rare special player. All the fantastic intangibles that make a great player rolled into one person. Then add his ridiculously low compensation for the numbers he has put up.

Taking everything into account, you can't replace him on a 1 to 1 basis...no way.

You can bring in someone who potentially could score goals by the bundle but that player would cost a ton of money...Vela money....probably not going to happen.

The approach will be to find multiple players at a lower price to contribute to goal scoring collectively...more about team goals from multiple positions if I'm reading Almeyda right.

Sactown Soccer and Scott Rohde repped this.
  22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Trying to replace like for like is not always a great strategy, and I think that's especially true in soccer. First, as already pointed out, there is no true replacement for him. Nobody else really plays like that. Second, they need to be as dynamic as possible. I would expect the front line to look considerably different once he retires, and it will be a good thing for the organization.

The guy's had a great career, but fans have to be willing to let him go even more than the organization does.

Sactown Soccer and SeaJayBee repped this.
  23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    He will supposedly be working with the Academy kids next year. If he can have an impact in teaching a few of them how to score consistently that might be even more important to the Quake’s future then the goals the Quakes will be missing in his absence. The Academy kids at most every boy’s level are creating more chances than their opponents, but the effective finishing ratio is too low. If they improve on that, the Quakes become almost unbeatable in DA games.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    If another Wondo ever happens, it will likely be the same way the real Wondo happened.

25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trading Hoesen to Atlanta now that Josef is out for the season might be the best idea this dude has ever had...

1234609732482224130 is not a valid tweet id

Boysinblue, sj_oldtimer, mjlee22 and 2 others repped this.