Trade Cerritos!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by dburn157, Aug 1, 2002.

1. dburn157

dburn157 New Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Well it's over halfway through the season and I have to say after what I've seen of Cerritos, I'm not really impressed. I was one of his biggest defenders after the trade and I like to give everyone an even chance.

He's had his chance, Jeffries should trade him in the off season.

2. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    All the MLS executives are in DC for the All-Star game. Maybe we won't have to wait until the end of the season.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - but what could we get for him?

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    broome is not a 'true' defender. if we trade zarco and cerritos for a fast, young 'true defender', then we could put broome in midfiield where he belongs and have paul (the fastest player on the team) play a dangerous midfield position...

... but what high quality, young 'true defender' could we get?

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because Broome didn't start his career as a defender doesn't mean that he should be moved back to midfield at the first opportunity.

A lot of the best defenders started their careers at midfield or even at forward.

Tony Sanneh, for instance, used to play midfield for DC United, but with hard work he's made himself into arguably the USMNT's best defender.

It would certainly be nice if Broome was a bit taller and more physically imposing, but size isn't as critical a factor for wingbacks as it is for central defenders.

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broome is playing like a true defender. Not to mention we should have a healthy Chris Gbandi next season.

The midfield is pretty crowded, we have talent at forward. I don't think we could improve our talent with what we could get for Cerritos right now. The best we could get is equal talent which serves little purpose unless it opened up cap space for next year.

7. Bethlehem

Bethlehem New Member

May 18, 2002
    Trade Value

Change is inevitable with this team to move to the next level. The real question will be, how do you do it. One of the biggest challenges in the off-season (if not before) will be for the Burn front office to get value for Zarco and Cerritos in any trade. Neither appear to be contributing what they are capable of or expected of.

8. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Re: Trade Value

Zarco is on a one year deal anyway, so they can simply not come to terms and be rid of his salary. As for getting value, we got our value for the last few years out of him. He's no longer what he was--indispensible for the good of the team.

Cerritos is a bigger problem, because I think he's signed for a few years and we should get value back for him. Right now I'd take any pick in the first 10 of next year's draft. It would be nice if DC wanted him. Maybe if he scores a few more, he'll earn his keep or be tradeable.

Anyone notice that both Akwari and Yi are without teams right now?

9. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    DC United has just cured a longstanding rift between it and the El Salvadorean community with the acquisition and extensive playing time of a young ES National Team player, 19 year old Eliseo Quantantilla (we call him Q2 :)). I seriously doubt that they would be interested in acquiring another one at the end of his career and then either not playing him or cutting him from MLS. That would be a horrible PR move, reminiscent of Raul Diaz-Arce.

AND, there is nooooooooooooooooooooooooo way we give up one of the top few draft picks without getting value. ;)

-Tron