Tournaments or other events affected by coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CornfieldSoccer, Mar 6, 2020.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Our club suspended until 4/6. I suspended my organization until 4/15.

2. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Curious what all these tournaments are doing with refunds? Ours told us only 40% was refundable...which I told them was not acceptable.

3. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    My son's club, which cancelled fairly early, is keeping a much smaller admin fee, but there's been some pushback on that. I'm curious about others, too. I think all of the remaining tournaments his winter club was playing in are called off but their refund policies aren't clear to me.

4. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Southwest Airlines told us our group travel reservations (almost 40 tickets) are non-refundable and they will instead give me an electronic gift card for the entire amount about $20k unless we can re-book before 30 May from the same departure location to the same arrival location with the same passenger names....it’s almost so disgusting I have to laugh. Guess I get to enjoy being a travel agent for 20 families. Hope the airlines enjoy their bailout money...

5. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ohio North just cancelled their Cup Series i.e. State and Presidents Cup. Which aren't even scheduled to begin until late May.

On the contrary US Club Soccer stated that they want to get their state cups in even if it means going out into mid-July here in Ohio.

Additionally, Great Lakes Alliance (GLA), has stated their intention to play games and playoffs into mid July as well.

6. Brett Strang

Brett Strang New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    IL is still deciding on Cup competitions but based on some conversations it sounds like they are going to try and get them in. They can go later into the summer since they don’t have a set date to be completed by now that Regionals and Nationals have been cancelled.

7. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I always thought spring soccer in the midwest, ohio valley and NE should start later and go further into the Summer. Spring games are always a sh**show of cancellations, delays and playing in 42 degree rain.

8. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Same in Washington. We weren’t able to get on grass fields until Spring Break last year. There was a local team that had to play 5 games over the course of 2 weekends (9 days).

9. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Do you have a source on the bolded? I looked at the Region II championship website and there's NOTHING about Corona at all.

10. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Regionals are (have been) the end of June and Nationals the end of July. For thos estates with Fall soccer, that's going to start the middle of July. So if you push back much more into Summer (our State Cup finals are usually the weekend after Memorial Day) you're going to interfere w/HS.

11. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
  13. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #38 mwulf67, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  14. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I read it as Regional competitions are cancelled. I'm guessing State Cups are up to the States.

mwulf67 repped this.
  15. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    State cups are up to the individual states. Some have stated they will try to run them later into the summer now since there is no deadline to complete the events.

16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Our state just cancelled the spring season (it had been postponed until now). No league, no State Cup, no President's Cup, no Soccer Village Cup (State cup for the U12 and under set).

DS's club said in the email announcing it that they're working on plans for tryouts for next year, a possible summer schedule (training and friendlies), and a possible refund.