Toughest Places to Play in MLS (Rank 'em)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by deadhead, Apr 15, 2006.

1. deadhead

deadhead New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking about this earlier. Who has the biggest home field advantage if any in this league? Rank 'em, guys.

1. DC United- hard core fan support always makes it tough to play at RFK. Good results so far this year as well.

2.LA Galaxy- big field, big time support makes points tough to come by. ONly ranked 2 b/c of poor home results so far this year.

3. Chicago (Bridgeview)- Already 3 and havn't even played a game there yet. Probably will have biggest 12th man in the league (Section 8).

4. Houston- big, vociforous crowds at first two games make Robertson a tough destination for vistors. Well below top three though.

5. FC Dallas- great stadium but lackluster fan support. It seems to be getting better, but we'll have to see as the year drags on.

6. Chivas USA- Mark my words, visitors will find points hard to come by at HDC this season. A vastly improved club.

7. Real Salt Lake- usually good support but just not a good team on the field. Real may suprise some of the top dogs at home this year though.

8. New England- dedicated fans, but in smaller numbers. Great team on the field though. Capable of a result on any day but home field adds no real advantage.

9. New York- see New England.

10. Kansas City- maybe a rising fan base. Again, great team but Arrowhead gives no advantage.

11. Columbus- sweet stadium, no real fan support to speak of. Sorry, but the team is kind of $hitty as well.

12. Colorado- new stadium will increase ranking dramatically with altitude and close proximity of fans, but right now, Mile High gives Colorado the WORST home field advantage in the league. Except on the Fourth of July!:)

Your thoughts..........

2. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    1. Los Angeles
    2. Chicago
    3. District of Columbia
    4. Dallas
    5. New England
    6. Chivas USA
    7. Real Salt Lake
    8. Houston
    9. Kansas City
    10. Columbus
    11. Colorado
    12. New York/New Jersey

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas used to be a fort and so far this year they have done ok but they still have a lot to prove. When it gets hot they need to play a style more conducive to the weather.

4. Is this thread about which stadium has the best atmosphere or which team is the toughest to beat at home? I seem to recall New England being undefeated at home last year.

5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Come June-Sept, nobody will want to play in Houston, not even the Dynamo.

6. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, cause it'll be like, 200 degrees.

But a dry heat (as they always say).

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Nope a very wet heat, 80+% humidity

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I think you guys are underestimating Colorado. The altitude's pretty tough. Crowd atmosphere, not so much unless it's July 4.

9. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Colorado as #12? Pass me some of what you're smoking. The Rapids have traditionally been a team that sucked on the road and won most of their games at home. And the altitude isn't important? Tell that to the Crew who showed up last week and were running around like maniacs the first half. In the second half, they hit the wall and lost the game. It happens game after game and it's not an advantage? Trust me, with the roster we've had in Colorado, if it wasn't for the thin air, we wouldn't have won any games at all.

10. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont really think that the crowds or atmosphere is much of a factor in any of the stadiums. think about it... you've got at most 15k in any given game (usually less in most stadiums). yea, im sure guys like djorkaeff and donovan are shaking in their boots :rolleyes:

last year, it was hands down spartan stadium because of the cramped dimensions. this year, i'd venture a guess to say rapids #1, and then everyone else tied for #2. in the summer months, everyone will push ahead of LA and chivas (la is not known for its heat waves, whereas most of the other cities are). then, for the playoff run, i'd put colorado #1, chicago/NE #2, NY/DC #3 , then everyone else (colder weather, rainier snow in those cities mentioned : example game 2 of the 1st round of playoffs last year, NY @ NE, played in snow/sleet and terrible field conditions)

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You recall incorrectly, since San Jose won there last year. The 2005 Earthquakes were the only team ever to go undefeated at home.

12. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i had forgotten how ridiculous the ball bounces at rsl's stadium. i am watching the NY-rsl game right now, the bounce of the ball reminds me of the way it behaved in the first few seasons at giants stadium. also, the ball rolls alot quicker on the ground than any other stadium (at least in my opinion). for these reasons, i would put RSL at #2 or even #1.

13. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix= 120 degrees in the summer, dry heat
    Houston=110 degrees in the summer, wet heat, heat index of 125 (exaggeration, I know)

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too be sure.

In fact, a temperature of 110 has never been recorded in Houston

((Houston's all-time record high is 107 degrees))

15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope you had to look that up.

16. Sunderland_til_death

Nov 12, 2005
    Mob Town
    yea

walk outside and begin to sweat. No just step outside and begin to sweat. open the door and begin to sweat. I just thinking about it and i am sweatin.

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Sounds like DC..

18. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is pretty typically 90+ and humid. But this year, we hardly have any home games during the summer, so no problems there.

I would think Colorado would have to be #1 just because of their altitude. Works for the NFL Broncos, too. It's just tough to beat a team at high altitude that has been training there all year.

Or course, someone could just look this up, but that wouldn't be as fun.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I did look that up. :)

But I was 99.9% sure that it'd never reached 110 in Houston.

As a former Houston and current Dallas resident, I would say that Houston's summer weather is usually a bit more uncomfortable than Dallas', especially during the evening.

In Dallas it often cools a bit during evenings, while the humidity typically keeps up the temperature during the night in Houston.

20. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about dcu's baseball infield? that has to be a nightmare for visiting teams...

21. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    BB, I promise you, it's not. Be glad that DC's game in Houston comes at the end of September this year.

22. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The original Soldier Field was probably the hardest place for a team to play. That was a mix of the good team, and the very large home support we had in the first few years. Hopefully we can replicate that in Bridgeview.

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised one of BigSoccer's stats guys hasn't chimed in yet.

No doubt, someone has compiled the WLT records of each team at their various home venues over the years.

((Actually, if we want to divy this up, I don't mind computing Dallas' WLT record at the Cotton Bowl, Southlake, and PHP; someone else could compute Chicago's record at Old Soldier Field, Naperville, New Soldier Field, etc, etc))

24. deadhead

deadhead New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, Bridgeview is going to have a pretty sweet 12th man this year and I can't wait to see it. Good luck to the Fire this year with the new venue.

When DC United gets a SSS, that could be an extremely tough place to play as well.

25. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    When other teams come to play at Houston during the summer they are going to think they are in HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! I love humid days with 100 degress outside.