Tottenham's Team of the '90's

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by jumhed, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    IMO, this is the best Spurs team for the whole of the 1990's. I think some of the players overlap 80's/90's/00's. Let me know what you think. I must admit that I've struggled with the Defensive Midfielder position, simply because I can't remember who we had who was any good!

GK - Erik Thorsvedt

RB - Steven Carr

CB - Mabbutt

CB - Campbell (yeah, I know! But he was great. Deal with it!)

LB - Taricco

RM - Anderton

DM - Dunno! Samways?

AM - Gascoigne

LM - Daviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Ginola

FW - Sheringham

FW - Klinsmann

Honourable Mentions;

Lineker, Freund, Iverson, Howells, Walker,
    Barmby, Ferdinand, Armstrong, Ziege

They Came, They Saw, They Were Sh1te;

Kerslake,Cundy, Scales, Tramazani (sp?)
    Vega, Wilson, Fox, Dozzell

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's thin on the ground for DM's - but I would elect Gica Popescu. He was only here for a season, but he did score a derby winner against the Arse and had a top class career. Can't argue with that.

Left back has to be a fully fit Ziege over your b*stard son Tanno :D

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Bloody hell, I had forgotten how bad we have been. And for so long. David Howells, Tarricco, Edinburgh aaaaaaaah. What a nightmare.

You should forget about a d-mid, play attacking football and stick Lineker in the team where he belongs. (He was better than Klinsmann anyway).

4. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lineker better than Klinsmann? Are you mad? Klinsmann could score from virtually anywhere and also with his head. lineker was a 6-yard box striker. A proper fox-in-the-box.
    klinsmann played for Monaco, Bayern Munich, Sampdoria, Spurs (hurrah!) among others.

Lineker played for leicester, Everton, Barcelona, Spurs, and Grampus 8.

I'm keeping it 4-4-2, hence Lineker isn't in it. One thing i feel that really highlights our marshmallow centre is the lack of any real contenders for the DMid position. It's shocking!

Tano is selected ahead of Ziege because he played as first-choice RB for 6 years, despite being left-footed. Ziege used to leave the pitch at full-time with no mud on him. He spent whole games on the touchline waiting for the ball. If he'd worn a tracksuit top he would've been mistaken for a sub warming up.....very slowly.

And while yes, Giga Popescu was a stunning talent at Barca and Galatasaray, he wasn't any good at Spurs. He also said that Spurs were the worst team he ever played for, which while being accurate and perceptive, because we really were crap back then, doesn't exactly endear himself to me and my warm, fuzzy memories of players who gave their all for Spurs.

5. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    GK- Thorstvedt
    RB- Carr
    LB- Taricco
    CB- Mabbutt
    CB- King (I couldn't put HIM in :))
    RM- Anderton
    LM- Ginola
    CM- Gascoigne
    CM- Stewart
    ST- Lineker
    ST- Klinsmann

Taricco played better for us than Ziege did excluding the Free-Kick Ziege scored against Arsenal
    Paul Stewart gets in for the equaliser in the F.A.Cup final. If Nick Barmby stayed with us for longer he would have been in. Paul Allen was a decent winger for us aswell who deserves a mention

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well choose him if you want, but Lineker was the better player for Spurs.

Check out their records

Klinsmann
    http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerplayer_statistics.asp?PLAYID=216
    Lineker
    http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerplayer_statistics.asp?PLAYID=213

Lineker played more, scored more, finished higher and actually won something for Spurs. Klinsmann was a great player, but his second spell was piss poor only salvaged by scoring 4 against Wimbledon.

7. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I'd say:

Walker
    Ziege
    Campbell
    Mabbutt
    Nethercott
    Anderton
    Gazza
    Dumistrescu
    Barmby
    Klinsmann
    Teddy Sheringham

8. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I have to agree that is a good team. Except for Nethercott. Jesus, Nethercott over Carr?

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he was manager and all, but there has got to be some place for Christian Gross in this section

10. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    GK - I Walker (90-00)
    RB - S Carr (97-04)
    LB - M Tarrico (Things gettting desperate already) (98-04)
    CB - S Campbell (92-01)
    CB - G Mabbutt (82-99)
    RM - D Anderton (92-04)
    LM - D Ginola (97-00)
    CM - Gazza (88-91)
    CM - T Sherringham (in the hole) (92-97;01-03)
    CF - J Klinsmann (94-95;98)
    CF - G Lineker (89-92)

Subs; Thorsvedt, Ruddock, Freund, Barmby, Armstrong

OK, tactically this team is pants, but it would be very high on entertaiment value. The fact is, for ther last 15 years we havent had a quality ball winning centre midfielder, so one can't be selected

11. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Exactly, a dream team should entertain, we are Tottenham after all :)

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Very good team, moulded using the Ossie Ardiles philosophy, that of the 0-0-10 formation. "Tottingham must attack!"

Again, please refrain from dissing Tano. The man is a legend (comment made me laugh alot though :D )

Bloody good team though. Where the tit's is Colin Calderwood? I forgot about him, lets stick him in the honourable mentions bit. He wasn't (all) bad.

13. natewhd

natewhd New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    VA
    Looking for friendly advice. I am traveling to London with three friends in Jan. I want to get tickets to Tottenham v Chelsea to cheer on the Spurs with some longtime Spurs fans(friends of mine). Can anyone suggest the best way to get a reasonable rate on a ticket?