Tottenham vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Sept 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR electing to ignore their limitations and going back to change one single decision -- even for the purposes of getting it correct -- when they don't have that allowance by the rules, that to me is worse for "sporting integrity". Not only because evidence for a blatant & explicit rule violation is probably more actionable than a plausible mistake, but also because at that point every club who has ever been affected by a VAR "mistake" or received a PGMOL apology can ask the question "why were the rules ignored only in THIS instance?"

But I'm not a lawyer.

100% agreed... smoking gun pointing to conspiracy is basically the only thing that really changes this, and "helps" Liverpool.

2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You wouldn’t have had Ferdinand, obviously, no more than you would have had Luis Garcia. But what about say, Matt Le Tissier? Or Tony Cascarino? Chris Sutton? Gareth Barry? Scott Parker?

Not saying it’s infallible, but it might work. As I say, there’s the kernel of a good idea there.

3. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You apparently have a very different interpretation of what "lunge" means. And why is Jone's "lunge" treated differently than the opponent's "lunge?" Because Jone's boot rode up over the ball? Baloney.

4. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is probably a horrible idea. Yet another instance of the "jockocracy" mentality that Howard Cosell complained about (but mostly for artistic reasons). There's no reason to believe that just because someone has played the game that they will be better at interpreting the rules. Some would be, but some non-players probably know the rules and can judge the game just as well or better than someone who has played.

Instead institute some sort of entrance exam where several games are officiated in the background and then review and see who did the best (got the most calls correct with the least delay of the game) over 5-10 games. Select the best and move forward. Establish a continuing grading mechanism where VAR personnel AND teams are reviewed and reshuffled to generate optimal teams (A-team, B-team, C-team, etc.). Not like this is novel management techniques... many organizations have been doing this sort of thing for years.

usscouse repped this.
  5. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Apparently there already is an automated offside system available so the would be the first thing I'd add and replace those VAR numbskulls.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #631 EruditeHobo, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Jones went in to a tackle with his lead leg stretched out at a significant angle from a 90 degree perpendicular to the ground, it was over a stride away from his original center of gravity, and his trailing leg is not controlling his bodyweight... it is in fact dragging on the ground behind/under him. So that means that the force of his body is following right behind that lead leg. Because that's how inertia works.

So that is what it means to "lunge", as far as I can tell, assuming we aren't talking about two-footed tackles or a jazzercise class... Jones forcefully comes forward, stretching out a lead leg, and very little of that force is mitigated by the trailing leg. How is that not a "lunge"?

Whatever your answers above are, people don't get reds for lunging. But it being a "lunge" seems a contributing factor when it comes to assessing the force applied in the tackle. And that force went into the opponent's standing leg.

If the same thing happened to Jones, we'd be having a different conversation. But we're not, because as I mentioned earlier... what actually happened matters, and what almost (but didn't) happen doesn't matter.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Prem clubs rejected bringing in this system for the 23/24 season in early June. Oops.

I think they can vote to bring it in in January? Or maybe can call a quicker meeting to bring it in sooner. Assuming clubs approve.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That’d work also, maybe even in tandem.

Take your point about the jockocracy, but I still think there’s a decent kernel in Savage’s idea. Some would be very good at it, others hopeless. Much like players transitioning to management. Not too many Kennys, more than a few Stevies.

You’re right that you don’t need to have played the game, but having played the game does help. The biggest problem with the players that I can see is bias. Bias with former clubs and former enemies and positional bias. Goalkeepers union and all that.

The idea was just something that caught my attention. Sounds better than the status quo to me.

speker repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    bit of a tangent, but isn't LeTiss a conspiracy nutcase? :)

speker repped this.
  10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #635 usscouse, Oct 3, 2023
    Hobo, sorry, but two people were going for the ball. Lunging if you like. It’s not like the guy in white was just standing innocently while Jones lunged at him. They were both going for the ball. Jones’ foot got to the ball first, that’s what he was aiming for. the ball rolled his foot went over and caught his oppos shin. Unintentional!
    I know in your mind that intent is irrelevant. But that’s you. The injured guy stuck his leg out to try for the ball, he had the same intent as Jones, getting the ball.

Then I ask why did the VA Ref leave the worst possible image on the screen for the ref. Instead of the start of the action in real time and then broke it down in slow mo for clarity later? Yeah, we’ll never know that. But the VA Ref did a lot wrong all game. As did the ref.

Again, two players went for the ball. Both wanted it and if you like both lunged for it.
    One came off worst but football is a contact sport. I know.

I spent time in hospital getting my cheek bone reorganized and reset. The contact was deemed unintentional because I got the ball he kicked my face. In todays game they would have given to oppo a PK for me stopping his foot. :)

edit: THIS!!!
    Menace2Sobriety said:
    Is your/(the) remit to get the decision correct or to ensure proper processes are followed?

There is only one answer to this for the sake of the game, not the laws.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm pretty sure if we all started saying VAR was great hobo would do a 180 and start arguing it was crap through and through.

usscouse and soccershaggy repped this.
  12. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Why do you think this thread has 637 posts? It's turned into a VAR-a-thon.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If it could provide instantaneous decisions, it would solve the original problem with VAR….that you can no longer celebrate goals.

14. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because a lot of us are "outraged" exactly the same reason facebook and other social media companies have turned modern society into a bunch of raving loonies! Difference here is that we aren't being fed tidbits from others outside our own highly insular community. But this is the emotional response that these companies have intentionally tapped into and promoted in order to keep people online and posting (so they can sell more ads for more money).

Think about that for a moment...

bayred repped this.
  15. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    I think it's because he sees himself as "the voice of reason", while the rest of us let our emotions override our logic.

It's the hill he has picked. I think he likes the arguing. I think it makes him feel good that, in his mind, he's able to see past the emotional side of being a fan.

But I'm sure he'll disagree with this and I'll get a lengthy response how I'm wrong.

usscouse, newterp and EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    #641 Menace2Sobriety, Oct 3, 2023
    I actually agree.

My poorly stated point was that PGMOL or the I(not so)FAB should amend the rules and processes in place where getting to the correct decision is paramount - when there is miscommunication between VAR and the on field referee, which is very different from when both VAR and referee are making the wrong decision...ie Wolves vs Utd

EruditeHobo repped this.
  17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I usually don’t get involved in the VAR debates and find them boring. I’m really not that interested in discussing the Jones red card. I don’t think it should have been given, but others can make an argument for why it was.

The Diaz goal goes way beyond VAR. It’s unfathomable. I’ve watched the video with the audio of the VAR room at least 5 times because I still can’t wrap my head around what happened. In a league where billions of pounds are spent every year, league titles are decided by one point, games are decided by one goal, I still can’t believe that this level of incompetence can happen.

It’s also unfathomable that these refs, who are having a hard enough time executing their job as is, are being allowed to fly to the UAE and back for a game 48 hours prior. They are showing up on Saturday on no sleep, with no preparation, and with a huge check signed by Manchester City’s owners in their pocket.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree! Sometimes it matters when the guy is standing on the other guy's shin... that's really all I'm saying here. And I still think this is at best a 50/50 red. It's a much better yellow, and if we had orange cards I think this would be a good example for what those should look like.

It's not me, my good man... I'm talking about the rules. Intent does not factor in to serious foul play at all.
    Am I wrong? Please point out where it's mentioned if you don't mind...
    I'm happy to be wrong if I learn something out of it! May not seem like it sometimes, but I promise.

I 100% agree -- this is not good VARing.

Well... tell Sam, I guess. Because he said I was full of shit for saying Jones "lunged".
    That said I'm really happy you agree with me, though. At least about lunging. :inlove:

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is 100% accurate.

CB-West repped this.
  20. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Unsolicited comment regarding @EruditeHobo... I think Hobo talks alot of sense and without being tribal. Sometimes I question his true allegiances (I kid - maybe? :)) but I've always found his perspective reasonable and well articulated.

Europe can't come soon enough. We all need to move on as nothing much will change in this case and we're all just in an echo chamber.

EruditeHobo and CB-West repped this.
  21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said elsewhere

there was mistaken identity of course - the mistake was thinking we had competent officials capable of doing the one ********ing job that isn't subjective.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He loves ManU if you all recall. :D:D

el-capitano, EruditeHobo and usscouse repped this.
  23. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Well, we've got a fUkking steep hill to climb, given the ridiculous spending we are seeing from competing clubs and the ongoing league and official bias against everything Liverpool. Just have to suck it up and walk on.

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    F-ck Hobo, your first fkn sentence is inflammatory and Pisses me off before I get into the rest of your fkn opinionated shit.

So the Spurs player was just standing there minding his own business, not even thinking the ball was near when Jones for no reason leaped, no, “Lunged” at him over the ball with malice. Do you know how fkn stupidly brainwashed you sound.

You are so fkng brain washed with VAR, you’ve lost track of what the game is about. You are not concerned with what is the right decision just what the fkn protocol of VAR might be . That is basically some opinionated arshole sitting in front of a TV making subjective decisions that suit him. You would love to do that. It would be like you going to church. It’s a religion for you.

There are several George Orwell quotes that could be attributed to you. Especially when to try to use my words to imply that you were correct. I said both players lunged at the ball and you try to say I agreed about ‘only’ Jones lunged for the ball.
    Sam was right you are full of shit!

I can easily see why you love trump.

SamScouse and soccershaggy repped this.
  25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You are correct, that is how he sees himself. Like a VAR version of a born again right wing evangelical christian.

He will surely agree with you, not understanding.