Tottenham vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Sept 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fck this is so ridiculous that if they suspend the only thing coming out if this is a one week suspension of the VAR ref it's a joke. If I did that in my job I'd get fired you actually neglect to do the thing you are paid to do.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  2. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not only that, but as soon as it happened, they knew it was wrong, and they just let it go..."can't do anything"

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's only dangerous if they throw the darts AT each other.... ;)

CB-West repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Jones’ red card appeal denied. 3 games. So much for my prognostications that it would be overturned.

newterp repped this.
  5. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's not like they would ever admit to another error after the Diaz goal

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so Jones will serve a longer suspension than the ref? Good times.

same ref who incorrectly still framed the "tackle" in another misuse of VAR.

LiverpoolFanatic, Samarkand and ewibe repped this.
  7. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about whether someone gets injured... people get injured for lots of reasons.

Cisse is a great example, because IIRC he had his leg broken twice right? And neither injury were the result of red card challenges. When a challenge is reasonably interpreted as leveraging excessive force against an opponent, and that amount of force is the result of the kind of challenge being made, that's when we're in serious foul play territory.

Cisse's leg breaks do not have that element... so no red. Jones is arguable because it's a direct lunging challenge.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    From The Guardian:

“The VAR protocol according to the International Football Association Board, the game’s global rule-making body, states the referee cannot undertake a review once play has restarted, except for the case of mistaken identity or for a potential red-card offence.”

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fine to say that they "should have done the right thing"... but unfortunately that might be more wrong than what happened. At least according to the rules. I'd wager breaking VAR protocol is more actionable than making (and admitting) a horrible mistake.

Sounds like exactly what I said would happen is happening. PGMOL response references these "changes":
    - codified confirmation of the on-field decision
    - confirmation of VAR's decision
    - increased focus on getting it right over doing being quick

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Whats pretty obvious is that the process is flawed , unable to properly make what should be a simple clarification re a goal. And then the protocol's are ridiculously written so that any kind of correction is impossible.

[​IMG]

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the alarming thing is the casualness of the communications.

if these guys were doing Air Traffic Control they'd be telling pilots "oh right - you wanna land, yeah? ok, whatevs".

14. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Shock surprise

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you are consistently full of shit man. back on Ignore for you. you're essentially a WUM at this point.

soccershaggy repped this.
  16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The one thing that audio does is confirm that their story is true. They are in fact just as dumb as was reported. It seemed so far fetched that I thought they were possibly lying about what actually happened, but they were indeed telling the truth.

They seem to be in such a rush to get the check completed that they completely missed what the call was in the first place. From the video, it looks like they started the check the second the ball hit the net, so they somehow missed the fact that the flag went up and that Diaz did not celebrate the goal.

Also the only person in the VAR room that had any clue what was going on was the Replay Operator. The two referees didn't even notice that the game had kicked back off from in Spurs' half.

Samarkand, owian and SamScouse repped this.
  17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep , I was expecting nothing different from this lot . Oh and heaven forbid anyone mutters a negative word.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what it is about obviously true statements that gets you upset -- Jones DID lunge in to challenge for that ball, by any definition of the world "lunge" I can think of -- but maybe it would help if you stuck to engaging with the facts of the arguments being used, instead of getting emotional and insulting those who come to different conclusions than you do?

But hey... whatever you need to do!

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well we see plenty of dodgy calls on the pitch every game so once again why would we expect the same guys to operate effectively and professionally as a VAR?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Acquaintance of mine works at the port of Dover. He’s one of 5(?) that has full control of all vehicular traffic flowing around the port.

Which when you have 3 ferries in from Europe, 2 loading outbound, huge convoy of HGVs waiting for their places, a huge amount of foot traffic plus all the staff and security traffic, it’s a very hectic job. It’s so stressful he is only allowed to work 3 shifts a week. He’s watching multiple screens live and on about 10-12 different audio channels for 10 hours+ at a stretch. Mad LFC fan.

He just texted me having listened to the audio.

“Just far too casual, not focused on their job at all. Ridiculous, and not suprising so many mistakes are being made if that’s the amount of attention they are giving their job. They wouldn’t last 2 hours here managing just one lane of motorbikes in December. Difficult to tell if they were ordering coffee or watching the replay. Their only urgency was when they had f.ucked up. I’d have been fired at half time.”

SamScouse and speker repped this.
  21. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    #621 Menace2Sobriety, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    The question then I would ask PGMOL…

Is your remit to get the decision correct or to ensure proper processes are followed? Especially since they had time to stop play. I’d argue anything other than the former brings ‘sporting integrity’ into question.

To be clear however, I’d moved on almost immediately after the match knowing other than a smoking gun comment to confirm bias - this was always the result.

usscouse and EruditeHobo repped this.
  22. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There is no reason the VAR should be being run by referees. It requires a completely different skill set than it does to be an on field match official. The decision in question is an offside decision. Even on the pitch, it is not the job of the referee to decide offsides, it’s the linesman’s job.

It’s clear that these refs are not the most intelligent people. Why not get some super intelligent people who are experts at using the technology in the VAR room. They would do a far better job and their judgment would not be clouded by the fact that it is their mate who is the one screwing up the calls on the pitch.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I disagree. The Spurs players were standing over the ball, ready to take the free from the position where Diaz had been “offside”.

Once Numpty 1 said “check complete” and that was communicated back to the the ground, they took the free. 2-3 seconds. It was only after the free was taken that all hell broke loose.

But under the laws of the game as they pertain to VAR, the most TweedleDumb and TweedleDumber could do was admit they were wrong. They couldn’t stop the game.

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Robbie Savage has said it should be a mix of retired players and retired refs, then no one feels they have to back up their mates reffing the game.

Not the worst idea I’ve heard, but with retired players you’d have to ensure they’re not VARing their former teams or enemies and it would be difficult to satisfy everyone. Still, there’s the kernel of a good idea there, overall.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    retired refs isn't a terrible idea. but retired players? no way.

in both cases, the "mates" issue is enough of a problem now. imagine if Saturday's game had Rio Ferdinand making that mistake on VAR?

I still think engaging refs / retired refs from leagues outside the UK to be VARs should be explored. distance is irrelevant with the proper network connection and many many many non-UK officials speak very good English. and anyhow for calls like offsides they can be given 100%-unambiguous scripts to follow.