Tottenham vs Leicester City 8/1 pre/post match talk

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fa cup on sunday, live on bbc1 (p.s wonder who Gay Lineker will support? :D) A Cup that we've won 8 times and have a great record in. Leicester are struggling in the championship but it's a cup game so it won't matter for much, we should still win as we've got way better quality. Thank fvck this isn't Fillbert Street we're going to, we used to lose there all the time. Lets hope we don't have another Grimsby

your thoughts?

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool is a week away, but we have had a lot of games so there may be some resting anyway, or at least 2nd half subs.

Must be Rasiak in place of Mido, presumably Defoe with him - would be a surprise if he kept Keane in for this imo, seeing as Jermaine has not had many minutes.

Davids and Tainio back in with Jenas and Carrick. Lennon or Routledge on the bench.

Defence will be the same except Lee, either Pamarot or Kelly in place of him. I'd maybe prefer Pamarot for the physical presence.

I'm confident the Grimsby upset won't be repeated. Leicester are near the bottom of the Championship and struggling to score goals. We're playing well and should be able to control most of the game and kill them off late, 2-0 final score. They'll give us some nervy moments at corners and will work hard though.

Even if we lose somehow I won't be too bothered, our league form more than makes up for it :cool:

3. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    spot on. The league is the main thing, of course i won't be happy if we lose but we're 4th in the league and thats the main thing this season, the cup comes a distant 2nd.

4. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    I am going to say something that will upset a lot of you. But before replying with thunder, please think about what I am going to say.

Okay, here goes:

I would like us to go out of the F.A. Cup at Leicester City.

'What the fúck is Jaymes talking about?!! You fúcking wanker! Why would you want us to go out?! You know nothing about football and the traditions of Spurs!'

Okay, now that I have verbally demolished myself, let me explain.

If we go out now, we can concentrate on the league. I cannot see us winning the F.A. Cup.

Why not rest our squad for the really challenging games instead of using the squad in games that may not really help unless we actually win the thing?

Does anyone agree with me that it's best to go full-blast ahead in the league, rather than having to take something away from our squad so as to play in the F.A. Cup?

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It could help the league form to have only that to focus on, I think it helped Everton last season.

Although saying that, we have a very big squad which can cope, and if they want European football and to do well in it, then the players and the management need to get used to playing in multiple competitions and still being consistent.

6. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

...I completely understand what you're saying, but here's an example for you:

We are drawn to play Chelsea in the Quarter-Finals. We put out a strong team for obvious reasons. We lose the game and King, Robbo, Mido, or another influential player get's injured and is out till the end of the season.

Okay, I understand that the example is all about 'if's and but's', but please try and think about it.

7. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    My starting line-up would be...

Robbo
    Pamarot Dawson Gardner Stalteri
    Lennon Carrick Jenas Tainio
    Defoe Rasiak

I think Pamarot looked fine when he came on last night (but I think Stalteri has played LB before), otherwise Kelly could fill in as an attacking full back (like Lee is). I think Carrick and Jenas looked great in central midfield together and Lennon will cause all sorts of trouble for the Leicester defence.

8. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Leicester hasn't scored in the run play in 400 minutes. I can't see them scoring against Tottenham unless the players get more up for the game as they are playing an EPL side.

Some people in Leicester are talking how there might only be 15,000 at the game. I don't think it will be that low, but it does show you what some people think of Leicester these days.

9. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    15,000 :eek:

take it things at Leicester are that bad then? shame really cuz Leicester used to be a good EPL club.

how many spurs fans will be allocated for this game?

it's a cup game so anything can happen

Grimsby who are a league 2 team beat us earlier in the league cup so you never know.

10. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

....and look at the good it's done us!

11. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    The good thing with Spurs this year is that there are players who can come in. It's been a hectic, and successful, christmas period and that's a lot of games and travelling.

No disrespect but Leicester are a lesser team, so some of the more 'active', shall we say, players should get a rest. Dawson especially, one booking away from suspension!!

Presumably Defoe will play, i hope so anyway. Kelly too. Especially if Lee is out, which he surely must be after being assaulted by that no-namer from City.

Glad it's on TV too :D!

12. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I would go for:

------------Robbo
    Stalteri-Dawson-Gardner-Kelly
    Lennon-Carrick--Jenas-Brown
    --------Rasiak-Keane

Or Tainio and/or Davids if they are available.

13. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Sorry for saying this, but what a load of rubbish.

This is the time to give players like Brown, Routledge, Raziak and Kelly the minutes they have been yearning for. Obviously the more games we play, the more chance there is of injury. But with that attitude, why try to do anything? If we hope to play in Europe we have to learn how to use our squad effectively.

Since you gave a little hypothetical, here's mine. Mido picks up an injury in Egypt, Lee's injury is worse than we thought, Lennon gets homesick again and his form dips, and Tainio twists an ankle against Liverpool, while Davids gets sent off and is banned for 5 games . Suddenly we're left with a squad of decent players, who haven't played a competitive game all season - when they could have easily been blooded out in the cup. Ok, so my scenario is a litle extreme, but you get the picture.

At the very least, a good run in the FA Cup will benefit our squad players enormously, since there is a big difference between playing in the reserves and playing a real competitive first team game - even if it's against the likes of Leicester. And at the very most it will bring us a piece of silverware that is hardly to be sneezed at. And if Europe is what we want, winning the Cup will get us there. Even if we don't win, a good run will help further cement the team (which we all agree has not quite happened yet) and will keep the team morale high.

In general, I think the modern attitude towards the FA Cup is really deplorable. That Spurs supporters have started following that trend is really quite sad. We have always been a Cup team. Perhaps lacking the consistency (or nowadays the finance) to win the league, but having enough grit, determination and raw talent to beat anyone on our day.

Personally, the FA Cup is one of my favorite competitions. No other competition has the same history and the same prestige. And the excitement of each and every game has no equal. If you lose one in the league you always have next week to make up for it. But in a cup tie you fight till the death. And anything can happen. You mention meeting Chelsea in the semis as if there is no other option but to lose. With that attitude, we would have never beaten the Ar5e in the 1991 semis, and none of the thousands of upsets to have graced the FA Cup would have happened. It's the competition where non leaguers can make it all the way to glory and when so-called second string players can finally prove their worth.

Sure, the "big picture" says Europe is our primary objective and we need to concentrate on it. But I would argue that an even bigger picture is the development of the team as a whole - which will be furthered by giving our squad players a chance. And a bigger picture still involves the love of the game and the proud traditions of this club - both of which require whole-hearted participation in one of world's most venerated competitions.

Long story short: No, I don't agree with you that it would be best for the team if we lose against Leicester.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I dont see no reason why we can't win the F.A.Cup, possibly the first one at the new Wembley.

15. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Ok, maybe I did over do it a little. Put it this way - if we go out at Leicester, it will hurt, but I'll feel better the next morning.

16. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Here's the team I would play:

[​IMG]

17. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I think we'd be out of the cup with that line up.

Robinson.
    Stalteri (LEFT), Gardner, Pamarot, Kelly
    Lennon, Jenas, Carrick, Brown
    Keane, Defoe

They have to get on sooner or later, so why not play both JD and RK now.

While it is tempting to rest a lot of the players, I sooo want to see Spurs in an FA Cup final. Dawson is one booking away from a suspension and we need him vs Liverpool, so that's why he's not in the team.

18. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

...exactly, but at least we get to use our squad, right?!

19. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Hm, half-right but half-wrong.

Use the squad and lose, or use half the squad and win. Winning is a habit and good form is cool.. so win this, and progress into the next round.

I'd like to see Spurs in the final at the new wembley. Although at the rate the builders are going that might be next year.

20. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    A risk to be sure, but these things are always a risk at this level.

There's only ever been once in my time supporting Spurs I've wanted to see them loose: The last day in 1999 at Old Trafford. I actually cheered Beckham's equaliser. Ugh, what the hatred for those bastards down the road does to us. :D

This is our year to dump them out of the Cup, too. So I say let's put Leicester away and get on with it!

21. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    So you're a Spurs supporter?

22. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    -----------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

------Stalteri----------Dawson---------Pamarot-----------Kelly-----

------Lennon---------Jenas-----------Carrick-----------Davids-----

-------------------------Defoe-------Rasiak-----------------------

Davids to cut in from the left as always and he'll give Defoe and Rasiak a start i reckon.

23. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York
    Why play such a strong line-up Colm?

24. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thats not my line up, its what i think Jol will go with, can't see him droping to many players.

25. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    -----------------------------Robinson-----------------------------

-----Stalteri---------Dawson---------Gardner-----------Paramot-----

------Lennon---------Jenas-----------Carrick-----------Brown-----

-------------------------Defoe-------Rasiak-----------------------

Jol will not play Paramot in central defense with Gardner available. For all the stick he's been getting (including from myself) I think he's improved over the last 2 games and deserves another shot against Leicester. However, I do think Jol will give Paramot a start at left back (though I'd rather see Kelly myself). In midfield, Brown might get the nod because of his fantastic performance against City, allowing Davids to rest a little before Liverpool. Up front, I agree that Defoe and Rasiak will probably start. Also prepare to see Routledge at some point (probably as a sub for Lennon).