Tottenham vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Thoughts

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Catfish, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    my starting lineup vs scum~

..........................Alumina...........................
    Hoyte............Toure............Senderos.......Cole
    Pennant..........Flamini........Cesc..............Reyes
    .............Van Persie................Lupoli...............

;)

2. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little influenced by the performance yesterday? ;) Hopefully the rest and new winning from the reserves will spark the first XI into action against the scum!!

3. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    None from me.

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    We Won the League (we won the league)
    At White Hart Lane (at White Hart Lane)
    We won the leauge at White Hart Lane
    We won the league at the **********e Hole
    We won the League at White Hart Lane

god, i will never tire of singing that.

5. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few things:

1. Coach, if you're interested in any history around the Ajax/Jewish connection, check out "Brilliant Orange" - great book on Dutch football.

2. Rick, don't die on Saturday. That is all.

3. If an SoCal Gooners care to join me, I plan to stay up all night and head to Shakespeare's pub in San Diego for the match at 4am Pacific. Beyond the rabid ManUtd fans, the next contingent of regulars there are Scum followers. I will be wearing my "Ifvckin8sperz" t-shirt.

4. As for the match itself, no predictions (good call, Cannon). Obviously, Edu is out, so Cesc/Vieira will be in the middle of the park again. I agree with others who have said that Wenger is probably being forced to play Cesc more than he might have liked, but it's nice to have such a solid youngster in the first team.

Spurs will be buoyed by their Carling Cup victory over lowly Burnley, and let's hope that false confidence spills over into Saturday. I'm very curious to see how Michael Carrick matches up against Vieira in the middle - maybe the former is harboring some ill will after his proposed transfer to Highbury disappeared?

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Already read it.

"Brilliant Orange" is a great book.

7. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, F you then. :D

8. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid
    My 25 mile drive to the Globe on Sat. will be the first time I will drive faster than 50 MPH on the JFK all year!

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    And a pleasant "Screw you very much" right back at ya, chief.

:p

10. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i hear that, i hate the freaking expressways in Chicago.

11. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they any better than they were in the late 90s? I remember driving on the skyway or whatever its called and dodging potholes that could eat cars before traffic stopped all movement and I sat back to enjoy the multiple hour trip to the airport. I won't even mention how nice the neighborhood around the UofChicago was.

12. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    not sure on the skyway. The Ike and the Kennedy/Edens blow. The Stevenson is not very good, but is better than the Ike. The Tri-State southbound sucks when I drive home from work at 7 PM. There is traffic and no accident or construciton, just lots of cars. I can't really compare it to traffic elsewhere, but it is horrible.

U of C's neighborhood has gotten better, i think. Its not the best, but its not the worst.

13. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm a Jewish Gunner! I would never call THFC supporters Yids! But if you want to call yourself that, then go for it.

14. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    im also a dirty Jew

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    It's what they call themselves, Catfish. We certainly didn't make it up.

16. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    F-Side? ;)

17. redondo66

redondo66 New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Seattle
    Coach,
    In a chapter entitled 'How soccer answers the Jewish Question' from Franklin Foer's new book "How Soccer explains the world- an unlikely theory of globalization" which I just finished reading, he surmises this as a direct answer to your question....

Apparently the Stamford Hill area where the Tottenham grounds lie once was(or maybe still is?) home to a large Hasidic Jew population. Since they stand out so clearly it became an obvious target for opposing fans to taunt. Though clubs like Chelsea had just as many Jewish supporters, it wouldn't stop them from railing on Tottenham. As a response the sometimes horrifically anti-semetic chants, Tottenham supporters took the 'yid' insults and made them their own in hopes of empowerment. Thus out of context 'yid' can be derogatory, but as a Tottenham guy in here just implied, is also a positive self-descriptor.

Just finished the book yesterday and recommend it. A nice mix of politics (a pretty New York Timesy even-handedness) and football. Though my favorite in that realm is Galeano's poetical 'Soccer in sun and shadow'.
    But before this wheel spins entirely off topic...

3-2 to Arsenal. Its going to be a shootout with us pressuring mostly of course. PV is omnipresent and Henry scores some kind of wonder goal almost equaling last year's gallup.

18. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Ok, lets slowly push this back to the match by ending the discussion over the term. There have been lots of discussions over whether the use is ok. Therefore simply put - no mods on this site will tolerate racism. If that your game, your in the wrong place. As Foxpoint put though, different cultures term different terms racist. Therefore Mods have to look at the most important thing, which is the context in which the term was used. the term "Yid Army" for example, is neither derogetry or racist when used in the context of Tottenham Hotspur fans, as you can see from their board themselves. outside of that context it will not be tollerated obviously. Political Correctness seems to be the new "buzz word". To me its a load of rubbish. We should not have to watch every single last word we say just to make sure we don't offend someone. At the end of the day, there will always be someone who can find something offensive about the most innoccuous comment, so can we all start thinking a little more realistically and stop throwing racism accusations around.
    Thankyou

19. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no Sol, no Edu-anyone else out? We had a great Carling Cup match this week and the young boys played well. Do you think we might see Lupoli,Van Persie and Quincy on the bench? Some competition for the starters maybe? What do you guys think?

20. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    If any of them, Id say Quincy. He's got that fight needed for a North London Derby. He's quick and looks confident. I don't think Lupoli is strong enough yet (he often goes to ground easily). Van Persie I would expect to be on the bench anyway. Id be interested to see if Flamini starts ahead of your boy wonder !! Only reason is that he looked so strong against Graveson and that will be needed on Saturday. I haven't been impressed by Flamini up until then, but as usual...... Arsene Knows!!!! :)

21. datdood

datdood New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Melbourne
    Anyone have a site for reliable injuries reports? I've used physioroom.com in the past, but it's not reliable. Everyone here seems to know Sol is definitely out for this match, when I thought him likely to return. Appreciated.

22. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick update: Shakespeare's will not be showing the match live at 4am PST. Strange, they've done so before, but maybe that was for big FA Cup matches only. In any event, wanted to make sure nobody showed up and missed the game.

23. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Good thing you sent an update, I was actually thinking of going down. I have to be at work at 8am on Saturday for a systems upgrade so I figured I'd hit the pub and go straight over to the office. Well I'll just have to watch from home.

2 - 0 to the Arsenal. Cesc & Pires with the goals.

24. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew - I thought that might happen. I'll ask the folks over there next time which matches they open early for. Last time I went at 4am PST, it was for the FA Cup Semi last season vs. United.

25. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blashphemy about Flamini starting over my man! But I agree that I had not been really impressed with Flamini bu when he came on the pitch Saturday his presence was immediately felt! (Maybe it was that Vieira was having such a crap game that he looked better but who knows! Either way he looked better than he has!)