Pre-match: Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham February 22, 2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sendorange, Feb 22, 2015.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A must-win, 3 points only keeps us in 6th but means only 2 points to the Gooners in 3rd, and with us having a decent run-in.

Lloris,
    Walker, Dier, Vertonghen, Rose.
    Bentaleb, Mason.
    Lamela, Dembele, Townsend.
    Kane.

Eriksen is rested on the subs bench, think it's a good decision given his last few performances and Townsend's strong showing against Fiorentina.

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great shot by Bentalab saved. Kane also hit the post from a long throughball.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    0-1
    Dembele loses the ball cheaply just outside our penalty area, as soon as that happened could see us getting punished.

Now we have a problem, especially as West Ham setup with packed midfield.

4. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Tottenham attack and West Ham scored :D its very well

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dembele and Lamela have been poor on the ball, trying to be too cute when West Ham are well organised and packing the midfield. Eriksen and Chadli two options to replace them.

SPUR-ious repped this.
  6. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    A double whammy!!!

7. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    No EL, no cup, 4th place gone. Could be a season ending week if we fail to beat Fiorentina and Chelsea. I thought this can only happen at Arsenal. :sick:

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2-2 :D

In the grand scheme of things, a point is not great, but miles better than losing to these scumbags again :p

Fantastic spirit to keep going to the death.

Count Chocula repped this.
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Lucky to get a point out of that. Big Sam whining loud and long. :D

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shortest game thread ever? I was asleep.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asleep, also... tough night. I also don't have DirecTV anymore, so viewing is difficult.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Allardyce moaning about the officials when decision-wise West Ham got very lucky. Their second goal was clear offside. When the offside player challenges for a header on the cross against the CB and the leftback is deliberately playing him off, then he's active. Also should have been second yellow for Noble, subbing him off right afterwards doesn't excuse keeping 11 players on the pitch when it should have been 10.

13. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we were poor in the middle of the park. Demeble and Mason were very poor in my eyes. I think Mason is a solid backup, but we need to go out and get a solid starter to partner Bentaleb who has been a steady Eddie. Demeble and paulinho gone so we need to get someone in who is going to have steel in there game and be able to fit just our system as those two guys are very good players but they aren't cut out for how we are starting to play. Also depay is a must-- u can't for the life of me understand why benji was not out there today. It was incredibly confusing.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, those "shots" by Mason were really poor and killed off several attacks.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the pressure mounts, it seems that Mason cracks more than others. Starter, but for a mid-table team.
    Paulinho has flashes of quality, and it almost seems he is getting time to either try and get back into the rotation or to pump his sell-ability.
    Demeble should be kept. He has good ball control on most occasions, and is a big, strong guy (even more than when he joined). Might not be first team the way Eriksen is, but definitely a positive factor more than not.

And, FWIW, Spurs seem like they are going though a bit of a lull. It was almost like everybody stepped up when Bentaleb was at the ANC, and now that he is back, the intensity has drifted a bit.

16. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    How many fecking goals have been conceeded on crosses with every damn defender standing clueless with their hands on their cocks?!?! Get someone who can clear a freaking cross

17. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Mason I just think he would be better as an AMC rather then in the midfield proper. Like yesterday I think we should have had him at AMC and more steel in the midfield. Demeble has out of this world ball control and I love him and think he is a tremendous asset, but I worry about how he is fitting into Poch's scheme. I mean he lingers on the ball far too long and with our pitch dimensions and how the wingers cut in we need quick passing to catch opponents out and when he dribbles its wasteful and allows the defense to get back into position.

If he could just speed up his decisions and only really dribble when he has to get out of a jam or something I would be much happier. I think a guy like Tom Carroll will be good if he doesn't get a perm to Swansea. He is quick in possession and gets the ball out quick. Paulinho is gone and the only real reason he stayed was because his wife was pregnant so he didn't really have a choice, but to stay for her so some of the younger players will be very much in with a shout to be that backup. I still think we need to go out and get a Left winger, Dmid (this is where we need the most quality in passing and defensive capabilities), and possibly a central defender if Jan decides to toss in his cards and head out. Also getting in another striker like maybe a young English guy to compete with Harry and push him for spots in the English Nat team would be good.

I think the most positive thing is Danny Rose is really making a case for locking up that LB role for good with some of his performances of late. He has been much improved.