Toronto's name is...

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Brian in Boston, Apr 3, 2006.

1. XCskinut

XCskinut New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    The name preferred by many in Toronto is Toronto City FC.

2. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Best post of the night.

3. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think I speak for all toronto MLS fans, we dont care what the name is as long as we get our team!

4. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True Dat, True Dat.

The problem is that I make nit-picky notes like this for a living, so I would love a team name that makes sense in English. Inter Toronto FC doesn't make sense in English, so I would prefer Toronto International FC, which they could nickname anything they want.

All the same, it beats the crap out of "Blizzard"

5. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the absolutely the most ignorant statement I have ever read. Who says that just because a well known European team uses Inter as its name that it is a "name that belongs to soccer teams". It makes our league look so cheap when we copy the Euro names like this. I dont understand why you guys think everything European should be emulated. What do you think this makes MLS look like? I am sure the rest of the world views this as pathetic. We have to have some originality.

6. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Toronto International FC, yeah I flew into there once. It was a pain going through Canadian and American Customs in one airport. Oh, it is a soccer team, ok.

My problem with it is the lack of creativity, I don't care about European or American names, I just want them to be fun and unique.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So why didn't they pick "International"? The name they picked has nothing to do with the city being international, and everything with trying to glom off of a foriegn club. If you buy a cheap watch on a New York City street corner, do you think it is better just because it says "Rolex" on it?

8. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Agree 100%

9. smcg

smcg New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Minnesota
    Of the Euro names I really liked Sporting Toronto

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    We're not marketing to the rest of the world.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shootouts affect the play on the field. The clock affects the play on the field. The 35 yard offside line affects the play on the field.

The name doesn't. Therefore, what's the harm in an "American/Canadian" name?

People need to explain something to me. It's Red Bull "New York" because of "marketing". People want "Philadelphia" for the South Jersey team for "marketing".

How in the world does this help marketing?

12. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not possible, Bigsoccer will not agree to anything, seriously this is the most disfunctional family to have ever existed. MLS is bashed for being to different and at the same time to alike to other leagues. It is ridiculed for not having good foriegners but also torn apart for spending too much money on foriengners. The uniforms aren't traditional enough, the uniforms are copies of every other team everywhere else. yeah as a colective we are ab solutely insane. Listen WE are all insane we have people who watch the league and come her eand say how much it sucks and watch it again. I just don't get it been coming to this place for about 6 years now and it hasn't changed. Or maybe I am insane for doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

13. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true and a good point...And that being the point why do we have to use names that the rest of the world uses?

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Omigod, that is SO FUNNY! There's a team in Italy called Inter!

http://www.inter.it/

I mean, wow, what are the odds, right?

15. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Not the greatest but I can live with it, I mean it sadly makes more sense than Real Salt Lake:D.

16. gpmetro

gpmetro Member

Nov 24, 1999
    This is completely, 100% correct. But at the same time I love being part of this soccer family and wouldn't change it at all

17. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it is a reaction within MLS to the perception that the "fiddling" with the sport in MLS' early years was a failure. The naming of teams in a fashion that is familiar to the "rest of the world" is an extension of this perception.

To some, it is pandering.

To others, it represents an effort to present the US league as one that is (at least) familiar to those who with already "know" soccer/futbol/calcio.

Will it actually cause anybody to be more open to MLS as a league? I honestly don't know. Will it drive anybody away from the league? I doubt it.

18. Whymark 79

Whymark 79 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Wow, you guys are sneaky.

I don't mind it...Toronto City SOUNDED better and rolls off the tongue easier, but is probably too British for T-dot.

If I were the Hartrells, I'd relaunch next season as the Blizzard. If the new Varsity Stadium was ready, I'd move there too.

19. northboys

northboys Member

Nov 29, 2003
    northpole
    Wow, this name might possibly be the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

20. RealGooner

RealGooner New Member

May 2, 2005
    Toronto
    Its cool.

21. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Don't have to; but in some cases it makes more sense to. Using an obvious soccer name makes the team stand out as what it is, a soccer team. In some cities it makes little sense to follow the conventional american naming system because the team would just get lost in a cluster of names already in the area. A team in Philly would have to be remembered amongst the 8 teams that are already out there named Philly "somethingorother". A distinctly soccer name immediatly creates an awareness of what sport that team plays. 99% of the population will not base their decision on whether or not to see a soccer game based on the team name. So that makes it easier for the team to have an identifiable name without having to use a gimmicky name.

22. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Just curious...what does the "inter" in Inter Milan stand for. I personally don't know.

23. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Internazionale

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Because soccer needs to establish its own tradition in this country (and Canada).

25. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why is MLS expanding to Canada anyway?