Torneo Juventud de America 2011- Ecuador U-20

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by b9d23m89, Jan 4, 2011.

1. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Chile still needs 6 points. They have to beat Colombia and Ecuador in their next games. Not only that, Chile's goal difference is -6 (3 in favor 9 against) while Ecuador's goal difference is +1 (2 in favor 1 against). Ecuador has only allowed 4 goals in 7 games an average 0.6 per game in the entire tournament. Remember in the last round, Brasil could only score 1 goal against Ecuador who played with only 10 men my friend. :cool: Chile will need a miracle. :eek:

Hopefully, Ecuador plays the great futbol they have demonstrated against the big teams and can beat Brasil this time around. Note: Neymar (2yellows) and Juan (1 red) are not playing vs Ecuador.

2. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Que triste pero Manolo tiene razón, jugaron con esa mentalidad...
    No entiendo porque. Tienen dos manos, dos piernas, un cerebro al igual que Brasileros y Argentinos. ¿Porque se sigue con esa mentaildad confirmista en la mayoría de gente aca? Viene con la educación desde la niñez. Es parte de la idiosincracia y ese sentimiento de ser menos ante otros en teoría mejores.
    Es una pena porque es uno de los mejores equipos y tenemos mucho talento...
    No puede ser que seamos tan irregulares y ante los grandes jueguen como campeones y últimamente contra Colombia y Venezuela se olviden de como jugar o jueguen a medio gas o sin ambición.
    No soy tan pesimista como tu y si creo que algun día eso cambiará. Esperemos que lo alcanzemos a ver en nuestras vidas :rolleyes:

3. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    El mini tri no jugaban al 100% frente a Colombia. No sé, pero puede ser que los muchachos estaban cansados, jugando su partido número 7 o si tambien estaban tomando todo con calma sabiendo que necesitaban descansar para el partido contra Brasil. Bueno, Ecuador todavía sigue con vida y tiene que ganar los dos partidos restantes. :)

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    By the first half it was obvious that we needed players with the qualities of De La Cruz and Cazares who can break in through the middle of the field and also generate plays from the sides. Ibarra plays strictly on the right and Caicedo does the same on the left. It was clear as day that those guys needed to come in.

5. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree that Chile has its work cut out for them if they have any aspirations of quialifying, and our defense is solid due in large part because of Jhon Jaramillo, but like you said Brazil is hungry. Losing two games in a row is not an option for them. I expect them to come out and play all out. We're lucky that Neymar is not playing and neither is Juan but in our last meeting with them we faced their B team and lost. A B-team that didn't play to its fullest potential. Ecuador has its work cut out and they better not display the complacent attitude they are prone too. A message for them, if you dont want to win just for the joy of winning or putting your country on the map, do it for yourselves, use the Ibarra rumors as motivation-Good performances will not go unnoticed by scouts.

6. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    A question just came to mind:

Who from the U-20 squad would you guys consider/give a chance to be a part of the older squad?

My choice would be John Jaramillo, John Narvaez, Renato Ibarra, Edson Montano, Marlon De Jesus, Mario Pineida, and Marcos Caicedo.

I've always like Dennis Quinonez but I get the feeling that he doesn't have the height or size to play as a center back in the NT...anyone agree?

Anyways, realistically speaking most of these guys like Montano, Ibarra, Jaramillo, and to an extent Caicedo don't get many or any minutes at all in their respective clubs. Caicedo being the exception who actually gets to play in Emelec every now and then. If this were subject to change and they all joined clubs where they could demonstrate solid performances, then they'd be a part of this process with Rueda IMO.

But if Rueda were to choose players from the U-20 squad TODAY, based on who gets playing time in their respective clubs and has great performances at the NT level, I think he should choose: John Narvaez, Mario Pineida, and Marlon De Jesus. And i'll go the extra mile and consider Edson Montano an exception to the rule.

The rest of the guys gotta find a club team somewhere where they can play after this tournaments over.

7. siempreazul

siempreazul Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Queens, New York
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    At some point some of these players will get to play for the Over 20 National Team. As for now, Ecuador has a team of experienced players.

8. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm Iffy on De Jesus, He has potential but has to catch sum more experience in my eyes. I think the U-20 Team is now feeling that Goal De Jesus Missed against Uruguay. Montano, well He's a bit of a Ballhog to say the least his finishing needs a bit of work, but his headers are killers, he can be Pure class in no time.The other guys are pretty solid as you said, all they need is to get some minutes and you have yourself the Future.

About Quinonez, I don't see it being such a problem about height, hell Ivan Cordoba (COL) Is a hell of a CB and he's only 5'7". Though I understand what you mean going against Stronger players. Maybe a bit more of muscle mass can help him out :p

9. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The players you mentioned deserve keeping an eye on them, IMO Jaramillo has been teams MVP, I know that Ibarra has had some prolific performances but without Jaramilo we wouldnt be where we are. Some ppl will say I'm being biased but I think he has been the best keeper in this tournament. Mario Peneida has been solid, and I like the way he plays. Narvaez is also good but he has to calm down on the pitch. The yellow he got in the Uruguay game was simply boneheaded. as As for Marlon de Jesus, he hasnt played the way we had hoped, but the guy has had some bad luck, I know he is capable of great things. As for Quinonez, yeah he may be a little on the short side for a CB, but thats not his natural position, he plays as a defensive mid with Barcelona and I dont think height is as important in soccer as it is in basketball, there have been and are many good midfielders who are 5'7-5'9.

10. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Jaramillo has been fantastic. I believe he can be the next Cevallos. It would be great to have a young keeper on the senior team that can be there for the next 10-12 years.

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I agree for the most part.

The problem with Ibarra and Caicedo is that we have so many top wingers right now, they could be substitutes at best.

I think Edson Montano is the type of player that we could actually use immediately. Our current set of forwards do not have his characteristics. Caicedo is not good in the air, and Benitez is small. Jaime Ayovi is still unproven. So I would start giving Montano some call-ups and even if he is not ready for Copa America, he can get some senior NT experience and maybe be a factor for the qualifiers.

12. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

well I know that's not Dennis original position but your right he could be a useful defensive mid I just think he needs more muscle too. But he's definitely got talent I like him.

And your right the MVP to me is a huge toss up between Ibarra, Jaramillo, and Montano. It could be any of the three. If I were to name the best in every position it'd be those 3 and John Narvaez.

13. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    yup that's why I'd consider him an exception to the rule. Maybe even playin in the Copa America and some of the friendlies would draw interest from other teams in Europe where he can actually play. I hope he can get some minutes in Gent b/c the one thing he needs now is key to playing a Qualifier: experience. And the only place to acquire that is on the field.

14. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Does anybody have a link for the Brazil game?

Also just wanted to mention I saw the game vs. Uruguay and what I noticed is there is a need for a holding mid or someone similar to Aguinaga who can make a final ball through the defense and control the midfield we lack this type of players. There is a lack of balance in our team I'd like to see what other players have to offer.

15. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Looks like today's game is a must win situation, Chile is winning 3-1.

16. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Well, if we lose today, then Chile can eliminate us by beating us on Saturday. Then we will really regret the goal de Jesus missed against Uruguay, and playing "relaxed" against Colombia.

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    We haven't had anybody like Aguinaga since Aguinaga.

18. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The current predicament is actually pretty amazing...we're in a position to win it all (go to the mundial and olympics with wins), or lose it all (worst case scenario). At this junction, I really can't help but feel upset at the game against Colombia and the erratic performance against Uruguay with the famous miss....two winnable games that were tied because of laziness and a lack of concentration. Hopefully there's a spark tonight because we could certainly use it....Brazil without Neymar doesn't hurt either.

19. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It just my opinion from what I saw that this team is too sloppy. We need to develop role players u know like E. Tenorio, Mendez, these guys were not super fast but, made the team function better. With all that said though I'm satisfied with how the futbol has advanced and some of these youngsters have great futures. I am glad we have Noboa at the NT level we just need to find more like him.

20. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    8 min: down 0-1

21. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  22. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wow that was terrible defense. We suck on every level. Also they almost scored again I can't believe he missed that.

23. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    cazarez, ibarra and montano need to play their hearts out next half.
    they need to apply pressure and attack on brasils weak side.

if we don't score in the first 15 minutes of second half, changes should be made.

24. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Cazarez=Biggest disappointment of the tournament IMO. He hasn't done anything good. Some good passes but that's it.

What's wrong with the defense? They are getting rapped without Brazils best player. I wouldn't want to know the score if He was in the game.

25. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    cazares is out and caicedo is in .. de la cruz is also replace by de jesus to start the second half