Tori Penso to referee DCU @ Nashville, 9/23/2020

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by pr0ner, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess there's still a chance this might change, but Pablo Maurer of The Athletic is reporting that Tori Penso is going to be the referee of the DC United @ Nashville match on September 23, 2020. She'll be the first woman to have the whistle in an MLS match since Sandy Hunt back in 2000.

SccrDon repped this.
  2. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure when the assignment was made, but its possible that this call helped her. She took control, even in delaying the caution till she made sure the advantage was lost. It's a small thing, but it's the kind of thing not even every MLS referee would handle well:

3. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Not sure this warrants its own thread. Especially something based on a rumour.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a rumor. The assignment is made, it just isn't supposed to be published yet. If something were to change, the early disclosure could be a reason, which is why those here who have access and info typically don't post before official disclosure. But a change is highly unlikely in this situation, given the questions it would raise.

I understand the argument that a single assignment shouldn't warrant a separate thread. But this is pretty big news and, on this board, we've given similar attention to Frappart and Steinhaus. I'm more concerned about a distinct thread treating the eventual performance--rather than the news of the assignment--differently and putting her more under a microscope. That would be unfair to her, in my opinion. So my inclination is to close this thread when the match actually arrives and include any analysis in the weekly thread.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game sheets went out to the teams yesterday so it's officially official at this point. There was some mild concern that the leak may have jeopardized the assignment, but the potential blowback for the league would not have been desirable.

Also, I suspect the league orchestrated the leak anyway, but that's purely speculation.