TORAINO SINGLETON at S.S. Lazio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Who is this guy?

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A black American at Lazio? Jesus, those fascist fans will have a field day.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There was a former Texas El-Paso football star with the same name. Maybe a son or a nephew?

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I went to high school with Toraino Singleton!

The elder of course, assuming they're related. His presumptive father or uncle was the football star at my high school (El Paso Coronado. '91) and was probably the best football player ever at the school up to that time. He was about 6-3 235 and ran a 4.5. Was supposed to go to one of the major football factories, but for some reason that I don't recall ended up back at UTEP.

I want to say that he ended up as the leading rusher at UTEP although he only played a couple of years. He was projected as one of the top 5 running backs for the NFL draft going into his senior season. Didn't end up that way, though.

Didn't know him more than in passing. Needless to say, he was a heck of an athlete.

Anyway, what a wild blast from the past to wake up to on a Saturday morning!

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of these things is not like the other.....one of these things just doesnt belong.....can you tell me which thing is not like the other......before i finish my song :rolleyes:

well, good luck to him i suppose from a soccer standpoint.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I found this write-up on him from February of 2010:

TORAINO SINGLETON: A BORN GOAL-SCORER

Toraino Singleton. Born 1994, striker with Lazio.

A player who is still growing from a soccer standpoint, but with physical strength and devastating power. He was one of Lazio's main weapons in the finals of the Giovanissimi Nazionali league last season (2009), and he has now been promoted to their Allievi Nazionali team (93s). He hasn't been used much this season (the roster is full) but has earned the interest of many other Serie A clubs. Many experts in the field consider him one of the revelations for next season.​

http://zonacalcio.nbita.it/news.html?news=38346

8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably, this is one of the reasons why.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    When the Lazio coaching staff goes home for Christmas, do they have to hope for a tornado? :D

10. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well! This took a while, but it seems Toraino Jr. might have moved to a club called Monreale in December:

Ad arricchire la rosa a disposizione di mister Paolo Scalia sono arrivati il portiere Girolamo "Gigi" Enea, l'esterno Toraino Singleton e l'attaccante Salvatore Cane. ​

http://www.calciosicilia.it/index.php/Eccellenza/tre-nuovi-giocatori-per-l-audace-monreale.html

The club might actually be called Audace Monreale. I can't seem to find out much about them, apart from that Monreale is in Sicily, like the Marinos.

12. chuwy2000

chuwy2000 Member

Jun 17, 2000
    El Paso Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Toraino Singleton. Wow that brings back childhood memories. Remember seeing Sr. at the Sun Bowl when playing for the Miners.

SO has it been determined how this gentlemen is related to Toraino, the soccer player?

13. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he has checked out the Monreale cathedral. Magnificent Norman Arab architecture. Seriously though, playing soccer in Palermo doesn't seem too shabby to me...

Also, Monreale plays in the Eccelenza Sicilia A, which is the 6th division of the Italian pyramid. They are currently mid-table. I've been reading through the match reports and it doesn't appear that he has been playing.

The best way to follow the club is probably the local newspaper... http://www.monrealenews.it/sportnotizie-sportive/calcio.html

14. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like he could be signed due to paperwork issues. It sounds like he was already registered with Real Avola, another Sicilian club. They play in the Eccelenza Sicilia B, for teams on the eastern side of Sicily.

http://www.monrealenews.it/sportnot...tario-salta-il-tesseramento-di-singleton.html

He isn't listed on their website, but he did play for them earlier this season.

This shows him coming on as a sub in an October match against Ragusa
    http://www.calciodilettantisicilia.it/ragusa-real-avola-1-2/

This article calls him an Italian-American and says that he should have done better with a chance.

http://www.aretusasport.it/index.ph...cle&id=4955&el_mcal_month=9&el_mcal_year=2011

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    with a name that common, how could you ever know? ;)

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toraino Singleton appears to have moved around the Maltese Second Division (third tier) a whole lot. The Maltese FA website lists him as having scored for Gharghur in September, and he is now listed on the roster at Zejtun Corinthians. No idea how much he's playing; his player profile lists no appearances for either club in 2014/15, but that can't be accurate if he scored at least once.

Second Division results and goalscorers:
    http://www.maltafootball.com/results-fixtures/second-division/results/

Zejtun Corinthians roster:
    http://mfa.com.mt/en/leagues/leagues/25/bov-second-division.htm?feature=teams&mp=221

Testudo and BostonRed repped this.
  18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun (and in the wrong forum).

There's a 10-year-old kid from Charlotte that trained with Lazio's invitation only youth camp last summer and is going back over this summer. He's so fair that they nicknamed him "pomodoro" because his face turned red all the time.

The experience sounded wonderful. He speaks no Italian and most of the players and coaches spoke limited English. Soccer was the universal language. He's come back a significantly more aggressive player- he's a midfielder (right now). Interesting that he learned that- really added a hard (i.e., mean) edge to his game. His parents took him but I think are going to let him stay with a host family next summer.

He's just a kid, so no need to put his name out there. He plays in the academy system here and is a good family friend. I'll let you all know if this turns into anything. Most likely it will just be an amazing experience for a kid in his life, but you never know.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Balerion repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gotcha, thanks.

22. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I wonder how these opportunities come about. I feel like I read about YAs in wild places all the time. Do they just have agents who throw darts and see how it ends ups. I doubt Maltese 3rd division clubs have a scouting network good enough to... they honestly probably don't have scouting networks.

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In this case, though I don't know the details, I tend to guess (take that for what it's worth) that if Singleton was in Italy as a teen, with no moves to or from the U.S. reported that I can recall, he may have been living/raised (at least partly) in Europe. Again, just a guess.

As to the rest, the short answer to your question is yes. Agents generally have coaches/leagues/countries where they are connected and have a history of placing players at appropriate levels.

On the other hand, some players basically head overseas with a few numbers in their phone -- certainly possible in the lower divisions, for those willing to live that kind of life and who can afford to do it. Often times their youth/college coaches help open doors.

Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.