Top Striker from Group D?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Portista69, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who do u think is the top Striker in Group D?
    Vote and discuss!

2. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    I voted Pauleta. I really think he's on form and will make a positive impact in the World Cup.

3. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    our 18 year old wonder kid vaz te has played in 4 games for bolton this year, recording two goals and two assists..he should be our striker, hes even ahead of the mexican borgetti on the depth charts :)

but seriously, on form has to be pauleta, leading scorer of the french league 3 seasons running, and hes first place so far this season as well.

If only he can produce on the big stage.

4. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No chance, Mark my words regardless of what he does at Bolton this year, he will not be on the squad!

We all know Scolari, here's who he will take to Germany:

Pauleta
    Nuno Gomes
    Helder Postiga and perhaps Hugo Almeida! :cool:

5. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    notice how i said seriously after :rolleyes:

yah postiga and almeida :eek: i dunno man..they havent been playing that well.

We will have to see in the next months or so.

6. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Nuno Gomes for me is the supersub. When all else fails...bring on Nuno.

7. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think its Borgetti, he is absolutely deadly....

8. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fonseca, he is on a great scoring streak with the nt.

9. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    yah,...thats why an 18 year old portugeuse striker moved above him on the depth charts at bolton

BTW vaz te came on again today and when he came on he setup a goal and helped in another 2 as bolton won 4-0..bolton fans are saying he was the reason why they scored 3 goals in the last bit of the match :D

I stll say its a toss up between pauleta or blanco if he gets called up.

10. El Yucateco

El Yucateco Member

Nov 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree, unfortunately, Mexico don't currently have a world-class forward on the squad (but if Blanco gets called up they will). I had to vote for Pauleta. Guille, Kikin, and Borgetti can't compare with Pauleta. Borgetti is good at what he does, but that is very limited. He scores a lot of goals with his head, and of those many are on set pieces. Borgetti isn't going to create a lot of chances for himself or his teammates. Blanco is the best forward in Mexico, without him Mexico might not make it out of this group, its time LaVolpe gets the stick out of his ass and calls him up.

11. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I would say Pauleta followed closy by Borgetti...Pauleta just has more technique and ability than Borgetti...i havent really seen much of Angolas strike force..or Iran for that matter.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I chose Nuno Gomes....I am a little Biased though :D

13. Necaxista

Necaxista New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Cuernavaca
    Club:
    Club Necaxa
    Nat'l Team:
    Namibia
    Pauleta, because everybody else is just average (including borgetti)

14. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Hashemian has scored some big time goals for Iran within the last year even though he wasn't doing so well at club level. If he gets an early goal for Iran against Mexico, he could get going for the rest of the tournament, and if he has it on, Karimi has it on, Mahdavikia has it on then Iran will be going places. Iran could potentially turn the game against Mexico & Portugal into a goal fest and turn it into "let's see who scores more", and see at the end of the match, like two fighters who scored more punches. Iran's first game against Mexico could be a complete surprise strategically, Iran using strength and height to overwhelm and tire out the Mexican team.

15. El Yucateco

El Yucateco Member

Nov 1, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Teams with a size advantage often try this against mexico, for instance germany at the confederations cup. Germany is considerably better than Iran, and they just barely beat Mexico. Mexico is a very physically fit team, they also tired out their opponents like argentina and brazil in the confed. cup.

16. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    agreed, me and other people were talking about that in the pros/cons thread, Mexico's physical fitness has increased dramatically over the last couple years, and they will probably be one of the more fit teams in 2006. Mexico basically nullifies any size advantage other teams have. Games where mexico has lost have been because of factors other than size.

Also, Mexico doesn't typically concede early goals. I actually thinkit's part of their strategy to defend and to allow the other team that little burst at the beginning so that their offense burns out like a spark. Then it's possessional/running the hell out of the field til the end of the game

17. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Borgetti. -No doubt

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    rightttttt....

19. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    Borgetti is the best STRIKER (goal scorer) out of the bunch. Others might be better overall players, more complete etc... but when it comes to putting balls in the back of the net. None of the others can match Borgetti who has scored some very important goals against very important teams.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am sorry I completely disagree with you. Borgetti cannot creat chances by himself. He is slow, and not able to dribble, his passing is also sub-par. What he is extremely good at is headers and set pieces. There a reason why Ricardo Vaz Te took his spot on Bolton.....

Now with that said I still respect Borgetti and think he is a good player. But I think hes not better then Pauleta or Nuno Gomes...and I dont really like Pauleta either.

21. El Cabrito

El Cabrito Member

Dec 22, 2002
    Ca
    I'm sorry but perhaps you misread, I said Borgetti is the best at putting the ball in the back of the net. He's not the best at creating, not the best at passing, or the fastest. But when it comes to making goals when the opportunity arises, Borgetti wins that hands down.

By the way in regards to Bolton, Borgetti has actually scored more than Mr Vaz , apperantly Mr. Allerdyce just doesn't like people who can score. Why else would his unquestioned starting Forward be some guy who has scored 2 goals in what 20 games?

22. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Pauleta. He is in great form right now.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its true that guy Davides or whatever his name is needs to go. But they have been winning and doing well with him on so why change?

24. Violationgd

Violationgd New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because that's the point of sports, to constantly improve so that you stay ahead of all the other players and teams. Complacency should never be present with a winning attitude. They are doing good, but if Borgetti played instead of Davies, they could be doing better...

Plus i want to put Borgetti on my fantasy soccer team :D

25. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    even though not on the team...if given the chance this summer, Hugo Almeida hands down. Strong, fast, powerful striker, good aerial ability, not too bad on the ball skill either...I can see him being like Adriano, powerful left foot shot and all...except he might not be so nifty with the ball as Adriano...he still has a lethal left foot (evidence in the FC Porto-Inter Milan game in Milan a few weeks ago)