Top Leagues

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by StrikerCW, Jul 5, 2005.

1. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it take for a small, "lesser" league, such as Ligue 1 in France or the Portugese Premier league (no offense to these fans), to begin a 'big league'. I.E. the 'Big Four' of England, Spain, Italy, and possibly to a lesser extent recently, Germany?

I mean, many teams in the smaller leagues are fairly well off, they are not poor clubs by any means. I personally think maybe it will take a league's teams (take France for example) to be placing highly in Continental tournaments consistantly. For example, you see the occasional Marsailles or Ajax win the Champs League or UEFA Cup. And yet many consider their home leagues still not the 'top in the world'.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought it would take for these leagues to become known as the best of the best.

thanks

2. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    Simple titles and players.

3. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    The French has provided with WC players for a long time..zidane, Platini, Henry etc....

Portugal has began to win titles...

4. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    true, but not in any comparison to the other leagues...

i think it takes consistency and balance...
    one or two european titles dont make for a top-league.
    always the same team going far in europe while no other one ever does anything doesnt either...

thats why really only the top-3 deserve that title, germany and france to a lesser extend too... germany unfortunately has had some tough years lately...

5. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    true

6. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think players make the league (well they do but not in the same sense). Good players can come from almost anywhere. True, not with any consistancy without a good home league; but you don't need a 'great' league to create good players. EX. French leagues do a good job of developing players but don't have any consistancy winning continental titles.

Also, media attention must be taken into account. Leagues which the media focuses on get the most attention and therefore money. Also these same leagues seem to be the leagues that players, traditionally, want to go to BECAUSE of the tradition that these leagues have. But what is it that builds tradition I guess I am asking. Titles and players it seems.

7. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal has been winning titles in Europe for a long time, although not as consistently as the big 3 :cool:

BTW when Porto won the champions league last year, they did it with only 3 foreign players on the team and only one of them was a starter on the team :cool: