Top college players - an attempt at a comprehensive list [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On the international side, I'd put up there Larry McDonald (Trinidad and Tobago/American University). He is a solid central defender, big guy with some speed and good positioning.

Bertsch is a good player, but AU only goes as far as McDonald takes them this year.

RS

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Re: Re: Top college players - an attempt at a comprehensive list

I though playing Lacrosse was going to make him a better soccer player?

3. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Top college players - an attempt at a comprehensive list

(Assuming it's ok to post results in this thread ...)

Last night, I saw the first half of Stanford's 3-2 win over SMU. Stanford was significantly improved from game one, having moved Abe Geiger from defense into the midfield and slotted Chad Marshall into the starting line-up.

When I left, it was 2-0 Stanford. The goals I saw both showcased Levesque's ability to change a game. On the first, he dove in traffic to head a square ball to Maliza, who settled and finished extremely well from outside the box. The second goal was just an outstanding shot by Levesque. (He also assisted on the third.)

Regarding the listed defenders, I can't say that either was impressive. Dunivant couldn't get forward into the attack, and a couple of times, he got burned trying. Ihemelu was worse, looking slow and lethargic. On a positive note, Chad Marshall clearly has a lot of potential.

Then there's Diego Walsh. He's a man among boys. If he doesn't win the Hermann Trophy, I'll be stunned.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top college players - an attempt at a comprehensive list

UAB plays Sunday, I will post Baumstark's date of birth after I look in the program. He's definately one to watch. This guy comes up with huge saves. He started as a freshman and is awesome.

Flavio is a good goal scorer, but he's the Darren Anderton of college soccer, getting hurt every five seconds.

5. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Two more names for the mixer.

Should Justin Cook be included? He's been pretty consistently good for OSU, although they seem to be struggling a bit this year. He was recently named MVP of the Scarlet and Gray tournament though.

Another sleeper may be Sun Potter of Oral Roberts. He was the conference frosh of the year last year (granted its not a top conference) and is on a tear already this year having scored six goals in ORU's first three games, all wins (against such luminaries as Centenary, Stetson and Lipscomb). He is a 5-11/155 striker from Garland, Texas. Has anyone seen him play?

6. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple from UCLA have been mentioned, but here are mine to add, including those already mentioned...

Ryan Futagaki, SR: All Pac-10 (o.k. Pac-5 last year and Pac-6 this year) last year. I'm not impressed by him, but I'm not an NSCAA, Pac-10, or MLS coach, so what do I know. Plays on the leftwing, though he played as a right wingback this past weekend vs. CS Fullerton. Former U17 interantional.

Adolfo Gregorio, JR: I've compared him to Ben Olsen in the past, but he may be closer to an Eddie Lewis. Right sided midfielder, though he can play centrally. Doesn't really have a left foot.

Tim Pierce, SR: See Futagaki. He is a Taylor Twellman type player.

Aaron Lopez, SO: Similar in style to Jorge Salcedo. Good with the ball at his feet and tactically aware.

Leonard Griffin, JR: Decent with both feet and fast. Needs improvement with his headed clearances. Eddie Pope type defender.

Scot Thompson, SR: This dude can fly. His speed will get him into MLS. Can play rightback or centerback. Not the same caliber (though it's not my point), but he reminds me of Lillian Thuram.

Zach Wells, JR: Another All Pac-10 player at 'keeper. UCLA produces good 'keepers, so he might be one to watch. He played well vs. CS Fullerton on Friday. 1st time I've seen him, so his pedigree is all I've got.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Futagaki has decent skills but IMO is too small and soft for MLS.

Gregorio and Thompson both made my original list and I think highly of both of them. Gregorio is a skilled right mid and has the pace to play wide in MLS. He's in the U23 mix - I think he's a long-shot for Athens - and he will get a good long look from MLS given how few quality flanks there are.

As noted, Thompson has great pace and he has decent size, too. Not the most skilled with the ball but with his wheels, someone is gonna give him a long look in MLS. If I had to guess now, I'd say he's a second round pick.

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like saying someone is small or soft. Sure, Futagaki is small, but on Friday he didn't play soft; which is the key. He's as big as Cobi Jones and close to Wade Barrett.

As I said in my previous post, I'm not impressed with him. I don't think he has much skill. Forget about his size.

I think that by being a former YNT player and in essence a four year starter at UCLA he will get a look by MLS. He might end up as a leftback.

He is definitely a top performer at the NCAA level.

I'm real high on Gregorio, which I didn't elaborate on. He was fantastic on Friday vs. CS Fullerton, though it really wasn't a test for him or UCLA. I don't think he's a 1st rounder this year, but if he stays at UCLA for his senior season he could be one in 2004. It would be nice to see him on a MLS roster next year - it would enhance is chances at making the 2004 Oly's.

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    It is in fact Reb, not Rob, Beatty.

He recently earned tournament MVP of the Battle of Baltimore for standing on his head to lead the Greyhounds to victory over UMBC.

I am glad to see Beatty and Lepper on the list as Loyola, being a small school, often gets overlooked. Surprising since one of MLS's best keeps is from Loyola.

Also, Loyola has a good looking freshman by the name of Vinnie Psicopo who should add some offense this year.

10. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Harkes - how do you rate Miguel Abreu?

Two more potential corrections on the original list. Sumed Ibrahim is a redhsirt junior, not a sophomore. Matt Oliver is also listed as redshirt junior, although I can't figure out why since his bio only indicates him having played one year.

Thanks to William and Mary putting their media guide on-line (and leaving South Florida and San Diego as the stone-age website leaders), I can tell you that Carlos Garcia's DOB is 5/13/81. His youth, coupled with his great performances at NCAA and PDL levels makes me think he will be in MLS next year.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Emile, San Diego's website really is the WORST!!! Hardly even worth bookmarking.

And speaking of South Florida, when I made my original list, I forgot a USF player I saw at Soccer Festival I really liked. His name is Gabe Selgado and he's a real technically gifted central midfielder. He's a senior so he may be on some MLS team's radar, though he isn't that big. I'm not saying he's a superstar or anything and I'm sure there are some flaws to his game - he hasn't put up huge numbers for the Bulls so there's likely a reason why - but he had great feet and was good taking people on and making passes.

12. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    I think the USF site has been recently updated, so I think I can confirm that USD has the worst D1 athletic website. South Florida's is still pretty lacking though too. Someone needs to have a stern talk with USF AD Lee Roy Selmon (but I'll let you do it).

USF seems to have two highly regarded players, but interestingly, neither is Salgado. Senior mid Jeff Thwaites and sophomore defender Jared Vock were both named to the conference pre-season all-league teams. Have you heard or seen anything on these guys? Cripes, I just looked up Salgado and he is listed as 5-1/147! He has to look up to Trevor Perea.

I did some research on the Marshall forward Byron Chamberlain today, who has put up eye-popping numbers (43 goals at season start) for a second-tier program. Last year he got off to a slow start but came on strong at the end of the season, and scored many of his goals against teams like Fresno State and FIU (and not Marietta). Given that performance, I would be inclined to include him, even if his level of competition is not the highest.

13. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    <bump> ... any further comments about players on this (excellent) list?

Personally, I was very impressed by CJ Klaas ... resembles Richard Mulrooney, with excellent dribbling and crossing skills. Also, I still think Stanford's Maliza deserves a spot.

14. gorilla

gorilla New Member

Feb 13, 2002
    To add to the list... I think Phil Swenda of Seton Hall deserves to be on there. He's a tricky forward, and certainly at the level of other players on this list that I've seen.

15. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Hey, Sandon

This tread started by Sandon with a preseason list of top players based on past performace. Now that we are almost thru the regular season perhaps Sandon can step back in and update it based on actual performace.
    Sandon, who's hot and who's not?

16. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Hey, Sandon

terp fan...
    I have several favorites, but while we wait for Sandon to work his magic, I notice that Maryland's A.J .Hererra is not on the list. What's happened to the 1998 HS POY? I know that Maryland passed over several guys on this list for him, but he's nowhere to be found.

17. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Re: Hey, Sandon

AJ Herrera is a great kid and a very hard worker but he's not on Sasho's "A list" right now. Last season he was counted upon to produce big numbers up top with Thompson and Goodson sitting out. Well, he didn't. This year UMD is interchanging six forwards into a 4-3-3 alignment. The normal starters are Abe Thompson (22 pts), Nino Marcantion (15 pts) and Dom Mediate (15pts). Erwin Daiz, fresh off the U-17 National Team, has contributed another 10 pts. off the bench along with another freshmen Jason Garey who's chipped in 5 pts. with AJ only accounting for 3.
    AJ had his chance last year and now he is caught in a numbers game. He is getting 35 minutes a game now but I think his confidence is shaken by not starting.
    The numbers are:
    Thompson 65 min. 22 pts.
    Dom Mediate 49 min. 15 pts.
    Nino Marcantono 38 min. 15 pts.
    Erwin Diaz 36 min. 10 pts.
    Jason Garey 30 min. 5 pts.
    AJ Herrera 35 min. 3 pts.
    (average minutes per game)

At the forward position it's all about scoring and creating chances and AJ has been UMD's least effective forward based on that criteria.
    The season is not over for UMD or AJ, hopefully he will regain his form as the games get bigger late in the year.

18. swcfutbol

swcfutbol New Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Saint Peter, Minnesota
    I think you are forgetting a certain someone named Andy Moulton GK (Gustavus Adolphus) bling bling

19. Lets get a few things straight here...the best defender in the country has got to be Chris Wingert (St Johns JR). In addition, St John's GK Billy Gaudette. He was with the U20 nat'l team IIRC and is a JR also.

20. thelogikalone

thelogikalone New Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Hamid Mehreioskouei F Bradley 2/15/81

i watch Hamid play in the southside of chicago, fo the fire reserves, & i attend Bradley University with Hamid, dont know him personally but rumor has it since hes graduating & he also plays for the Chicago Fire Reserves, i heard that there is a good chance of him playing for the Chicago Fire in the near future... true or not, just thought id let you know

21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After playing three years in the back, Jason Cole was moved up tp a forward spot for the Billikins and is leading the team in scoring.

22. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara