Top 50 Belgian Players all time

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by The Bergamister, Mar 23, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I second that choice.

2. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd be interested in participating as long as you guys don't laugh when I take Thomas Buffel with my number one pick :D.

But seriously, I'll join if you guys need an extra person, but my knowledge of Belgian players is very limited and I'd need plenty of help from the internet.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not surprisingly, the coach of the NT at the time was Constant Vandenstock. :rolleyes:

4. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How are you dealing with the loss of the caje? Unbelievable to see Franky Van der Elst almost crying on tv... But as they say business and friendship don't mix. Lets see if you guys can secure that 3rd place

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    17. Michel De Wolf

[​IMG]

A great attacking defender. I liked the way he went forward.

He was born on January 19 1958, he played at three World Cups and at Euro 84. He played two matches at Mexico 86, four at Italia 90 and four at USA 94, scoring from a long range effort against South Korea at Italia 90. Some of his former clubs include Gent, Kortrijk and Anderlecht.

18. Marc Degryse

[​IMG]

Here's a link from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Degryse

A personal favorite of mine. I really liked his goal against South Korea at Italia 90 where he lobbed the Korean keeper from distance.

6. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Francky Van der Elst?

7. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    Alex Czerniatynski

8. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    He should be in it.

Czernia not IMO.

9. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    No Czernia? OK Ludo Coeck then.

10. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    who didn't work for anderlecht yet at that time ;)

11. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    indeed !

12. CL39

CL39 New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How about Frank Vercauteren?
    (if only for that wonder goal vs. Paraguay in 1986)

13. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    One of the best left wingers ever. His pass was brilliant. He always seemed to slice the ball.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    18. Frank Vercauteren

[​IMG]

Frank Vercauteren was born on 28 October 1956 in Brussels, Belgium. He is know as "Franky" or "The Small Prince." He was a left-sided midfielder who made his name at Anderlecht in the 1970s and 80s, making his Anderlecht debut against Mechelen in 1975. He played for the Brussels team for 12 seasons, scoring 92 goals in 368 matches. Vercauteren played in Anderlecht's 1983 UEFA Cup win as well as the wins in the 1976 and 1978 Cup Winners' Cup Finals. In 1983, he won the Player of the Year award in Belgium. He also played for Nantes in France from 1987-90 and he finished his career in 1993 with RWD Molenbeek. In two of those seasons with Nantes, he would end up with the most goal assists.

For Belgium, he won 63 caps and scored nine goals. Franky made his debut for Belgium in a 3-0 loss to Northern Ireland on 16 November 1977. He played at Espana 82 and Mexico 86 as well as Euro 84. At Euro 84, he scored in the 38th minute of the Belgium vs Denmark match in which the Belgians were winning 2-0 after Le petit prince's goal but the Danes still won 3-2. At Espana 82, he created the assist for Erwin Van Den Burgh's goal against Argentina, a 1-0 win to Belgium. At Mexico 86, he scored a great goal against Paraguay, crossed the ball to Enzo Scifo for the first goal in Belgium's 4-3 win against the Soviets and assisted in Jan Ceulemans' goal against Spain in the quarter-finals.

An important player from Belgium's glory period.

http://www.uefa.com/footballEurope/Club=50074/coach.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franky_Vercauteren

www.planetworldcup.com

15. urubelga

urubelga New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Montevideo
    19. Erwin Vandenbergh (he was part of the great NT of the 80's, but I hope that Kevin surpass him)

Erwin Vandenbergh (born January 26, 1959) was a legendary Belgian football striker. Between 1979 and 1991, he finished six times topscorer of the Belgian First Division, with three different clubs (the first three with Lierse S.K., the following two with R.S.C. Anderlecht, and the last one with K.A.A. Gent). In 1979 he was European topscorer with 39 goals out of 34 games. As a Belgian national team regular VdB scored a memorable victory goal against Argentina in the opening game of the 1982 World Cup in Spain.

Vandenbergh also played for the French club Lille OSC with his Belgian national team partner Filip Desmet under the management of another fellow Belgian Georges Heylens. His son, Kevin Vandenbergh, has also become a football striker and he currently plays for K.R.C. Genk.
    Wiki-bible

16. destekke

destekke New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    we still need 32 players :d

17. FooTh

FooTh New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Belgium
    20. Lorenzo Staelens

21. Timmy Simons

22. Daniel Van Buyten

18. FooTh

FooTh New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Belgium
    23. Branko Strupar

24. Josip Weber

25. Johan Walem

19. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I can't believe you took these two naturalized players, the only succes on those cases was Ruben Oliveira, Joske weber and strupar both did nothing for Belgium.

20. union_bhoys

union_bhoys New Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Brussels
    HI

is it possible to nominee players from long time ago too (should be correct if it is a "all time" list ...) ?

i will not speak for other teams but for R. Union Saint-Gilloise
    some names shall be :

- Edgard "poupoule" Poelmans and Joseph "Jack" Romdenne from the team before WWI
    - Emile Hanse (Rode duivels captain at Olympic 1920) and Robert Coppee from the team of the roaring 20'
    - François "Sotje" Vanden Eynden and the great Jules Pappaert captain of the invincible team of the 30', remeber as "Union 60"
    - Paul Vandenbergh, top class player of the 50' and 60', who played for Anderlecht and Standard too, (for the Union's supporters that have seen him play, the best Unionist after WWII 'till nowadays)

apache

21. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    33. Bernard Voorhoof

22. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    1 Enzo Scifo : Belgian Maradonna
    2 Ceulemans
    3 Wilmots : Great striker
    4 Van der Linden
    5 George Grun

23. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Luc Nilis is not bad.
    But I prefer Wilmots better.
    Wilmots is more consistent player.

24. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe for the National team, but you can't beat Nilis' club record...

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're basically picking players from the last 20 years. Scifo is number one in my book but lots of people would have Van Himst in the Top Five even Top Two.