Top 3 players on your team

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Viking64, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I had held off starting this thread, but considering what the UVA coach said in the paper, it's a fair question.

Who are the top 3 players at any position in any year in the team you watch/support?

I would like to see who the top 3 players are, and compare your assessments to the eventual MLS draft or foreign signings that NCAA college players make.

Obviously I cannot follow a college team, so I cannot go first. But, let's hear it.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Even though it's not my school, the program that I usually follow most closely is Maryland because it's the closest major program to me and tends to bring in big time opponents every year.

On Maryland, IMO, the thop three pro prospects are, in order, defensive midfielder Scott Buete, center back Clarence Goodson and wingback (as a pro, plays centrally at Md.) Seth Stammler.

Buete and Stammler are seniors, Goodson a redshirt junior who might - and should - turn pro after this season.

3. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Hehe.

Colorado School of Mines

Jared Peacock
    Joel Flanagan
    Mike Dixon

Each of these players have about the same chance of playing in the MLS as I have of getting laid tonight. I bet you all could guess what my chances are this evening.

4. Sammys

Sammys New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Virginia
    UVA Top Pro Prospects

Matt Oliver - Center back
    Will Hall - Dmid
    Joe Vide - Amid

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Those who I think have a real shot at being pros? At University of Portland, I would say Alejandro Salazar and Heath Pearce both have a real good chance at having long professional careers. At University of Washington, which is really "my team" but is a bit too far to see on a regular basis, the one guy who stands out is CJ Klaas.

Alex Salazar - Attacking Midfielder/Forward
    Heath Pearce - Left Back
    CJ Klaas - Right Back

6. fatman

fatman New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Hoosier Country
    Indiana's top 3 prospects

NED GRABAVOY
    DREW MOOR
    JAY NOLLY THE GOALIE

Grabavoy-soon to be HERMAN Winner and number 1 in the MLS draft
    Moor- one of the best defenders in college soccer
    BOTH of them named to U20 roster
    Nolly-the most underrated keeper in college soccer, leads the young IU back line

my stomach is calling me
    im out

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    ned is five feet seven. That's even shorter than Landon, Ruiz, and Carrieri. Must be faster than hell for you to say he'll go first.

Come on you guys, I know there's more of you out there.

8. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Stetson University in Daytona, Florida my friend Rudy Mehrens. A true freshman. Plays Right Mid I think for them and can play stopper. He is playing very well this yr.

9. fatman

fatman New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Hoosier Country
    Viking64-
    Size doesn't matter, It matters what you do with it. Come on now you should know that. From what I've seen Grabavoy is the best player in the country at the college level. As far as going number one in the draft he should. However, depending on what team it is you never know.

And Gosh dangit if i say hes going number one in the draft hes going number one in the draft!

my stomachs calling me
    im out

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Grabavoy has great skill, there is no question about that, and he has a great soccer brain. The international experience is also a bonus. But...

He has some very real physical limitations. Besides not being very big, he ain't that fast. To play in MLS, he basically has to be the No. 10, the attacking center mid.

He's not fast enough to play wide, he's not big enough to play - if any one should know this, it should be someone named fatman, but size DOES matter - up top and he isn't physical enough to be a D-mid.

Now, can he play this position in MLS? Yes, but it will have to be with the right coach and the right team, similar to the situation Martino is in.

His physical limitations will keep Grabavoy from being No. 1 overall. MLS ain't a finesse league.

Because of all his physical gifts, Knox Cameron will be more desired at the MLS level. Cameron is just a physical stud with great athleticism and that will take him far in MLS.

I'm not saying Cameron will be No. 1 overall, but I'm pretty confident he'll go higher than Grabavoy.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're going to like what Ohio is sending you next Fall.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UWM Panthers Top 3

I follow Wisonsin- Milwaukee, it's really tough to pick a best three on this team but here is by best three.

1. Antou Jallow ST (Hermann Award Nominee)
    2. Bobby Lish / Kyle Lance F
    3. Tighe Dombrowski CM

Go Panthers!!

13. Alej

Alej New Member

Nov 11, 2002
    South Orange, NJ
    Connecticut College

Tim Walker-F/M
    Devon Kanabay-D/M
    Michal Kosac-F

14. fatman

fatman New Member

Nov 14, 2003
    Hoosier Country
    Sandon my main man-
    I'm a lil disappointed in your evaluation of Ned the GIFT Grabavoy. I mean have you seen this kid play!!!!!!!! This kid is part man part amazing. There is no defender in college soccer that hasnt been turtored by the GIFT. Yes chad marshall even you. As far as Knox the big gallute Cameron I watched him play northwestern, the toilet bowl of all soccer schools, and get absolutely owned by a freshman. As far a speed knox may be big but he is the slowest kid in the big ten. If your looking for speed turpin is the speedster at michigan. I talked with my good buddy, Thomas Rongen, the other day and he totally agrees with the fat man.

my stomach is calling me
    im out

p.s. im having turkey for dinner with some stove top

15. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    now we're getting somewhere. Wrongen said he goes first? eh, not the best support you could ask for ;)

I'm going to go look up the UWM guys

16. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Ok, After watching a bunch of teams today

Some that weren't mentioned.

UVa
    Cristman

Bradley
    Dunsheath

Indiana
    Plotkin

Notre Dame
    Detter- classy player
    Dalby
    Richards

17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he just got voted to his all freshmen team from his conference. and btw stetson lost in conference semi to FAU.

18. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://uwmpanthers.ocsn.com/

If you want to check out the players go to the men's soccer page and download the 2003 season program in pdf. form, it's free. It has detailed player bio's, ( better than the web sites and more accurate) as well as a history of the program and former players,( Tony Sanah and Manny Lagos).

19. Soccerislife

Soccerislife New Member

Oct 25, 2003
    USA
    Best Player

I have seen Grabavoy play and I entirely disagree that he is the best player in college soccer. That is a ludicrous claim. Although he does have superb skills, by no means is he the most effective player in the country-he is a lot of hype. I would say that the best player in the country is Mehdi Ballouchy of last year's Creighton team that he led to the Final Four. This year I have no idea where he is but last year he was an extremely dominating presence in each and every game and he UNQUESTIONABLY has more skill than Grabavoy.

20. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Re: Best Player

I'll agree that Grabavoy is a tad oversold as being the best in the game this year (I still say Ngwenya is), but you might pick a little better example than Ballouchy, formerly of Creighton. I think the player at least needs to currently playing before you can make any comparison.

21. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    anyone know where Ballouchy is by the way? I saw him play at the college cup and he seemed amazing on the ball, especially for a freshman.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ballouchy is, according to a Soccer America story (maybe their college preview) attending a JuCo in the Bay area.

I don't know which school and I don't know why he choose this route. I also don't know if he's playing soccer for this JuCo or not.

I know he flirted strongly with P40 and trained with the Quakes. And, I agree that he had mad game. I would suspect he'll end up in MLS this coming year in some capacity.

23. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Trevor McEachron, speed, size, but playing in two systems. His bio says he played with the Jamaican U-23's, and the Region 1 ODP

Is he p-40 eligible?
    Is he a US citizen or not?

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    According to a Soccer America story on him a couple weeks ago, he's a US citizen whose folks are Jamaican and while he has played for Jamaica, he isn't cap-tied to them and now wants to see if there is any US interest before being cap-tied.

As to P40 eligibility, yes he is, though there is no set P40 criteria as, like most things with MLS, the league just bends the rules to suit their liking.

They have had foreign players sign P40 deals, players who are existing professionals but not in MLS sign P40 deals, guys who have played four years of college ball sign P40 deals, and so on.

So, if MLS wants him, he is "eligible" for P40.

25. fishtail parker

fishtail parker New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    NY and Santiago
    Re: Ok, After watching a bunch of teams today

Hey glad to see you mentioned ND, we don't get too much buzz for being a really solid team! The players you listed are among my favorites on the team however in terms of performance this season I would say Jack Stewart deserves to be included. Though Dalby is going to be a future star no doubt, Stewart has been a rock this year...

I would expect that Detter, Dalby, Stewart, Nate Norman, Chris Sawyer and Ian Etherington will all play after college though.