Top 10 Players in World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Tomazo, Jul 2, 2014.

1. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Navas was good too, but I'm talking about people's ignorance in choosing Muller, I could give you 10 names ahead of Muller's for Christ sake

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    good remark ...
    Muller is a smart player , intelligent and good team worker ... but he is not a very skillful player who could win game on his own ...

3. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Not Campbell, though...

4. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can always find 'reasons' for failure or success, scoring 4 times on a WC is good, plain and simple.
    I watched Joel Campbell play recently and I must say I was more impressed with Navas, really a lot more.

goliath74 repped this.
  5. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's good. It doesn't make him a top player, not even close to JR or Robben performances this tournament. Easy goals are easy goals, the easiest when you have Germany behind you. I mean come on even fools can see this kind of stuff

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Ever heard of Gerd Müller?

7. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You might have brain damage if you can't understand what I'm saying. I'll let this circle jerk of 'most goals = best player' carry on.

8. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    True, it is a valid view point but why not stick with posting your own top 10?

Now I got the idea you thoroughly dislike Muller and because of that you feel the need to persuade others
    that Muller on their top 10 list is really a sign of very poor insight/judgment.

I for once would not have put Ronaldo (Portugal) on my top 10 until 2 years ago. I assure you that it had
    nothing to do with his quality. Just pure and deep distaste of the player himself.

9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    No one can understand what you're saying. Goal scoring is a skill. While no one here is saying that Tomas Muller is the best player but he is influential enough, very skillful, and he does what a striker is paid to do - score goals.

10. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I feel the need to point out when people give credit to undeserving players like Muller. I don't care to post a top 10 list because the names would be similar to those already posted, minus the inclusion of a glaring mistake like Muller.

Yes. Here's a comparison you might understand. If you put a monkey who's been training with the German NT in the place of Muller, you'd get 4 goals.

The thread title is 'Top players', not 'Players who do what they are paid to do'.

11. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Klose did not score 4. Schweinstiger did not score 4. Are you telling me a monkey is better than these guys?
    Tomas Muller is so much more than scoring goals. Excellent passing, excellent participation in almost EVERY attacking move Germany does.

12. DinoMostarac

DinoMostarac Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    FK Velez
    No homer but I think Pjanic should be mentioned.

He created the most scoring chances in the group stages and managed to bag a goal himself. I obviously don't think he is the best player at the World Cup, but I think he's in the discussion for top 10

13. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pjanic >>>>>>> Muller

14. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I honestly don't understand why comments like this have become so common on the internet? Do people really get so frustrated at contrary opinions that they have to act this way?

Müller is arguably THE best at finding space at this tournament. He has one of the most valuable qualities there is in a footballer, sheer intelligence. He knows where to be, so when a "freak rebound" comes out, don't think it is an accident that he is there to put a strike on it.

His drive is excellent, his speed is decent, his endurance is well above average, and as mentioned above his nose for movement off the ball is unmatched.

No, he will never be a Zidane. He doesn't have the technique to flick balls around or control balls with a completely outstretched leg like Zidane could, but to argue that a technique goal is more valuable than an intelligent goal is an exercise in futility and pointlessness.

Saying it doesn't make it true. By what metric?

gaucho16 and blissett repped this.
  15. doritos93

doritos93 Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Montreal - Europe
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Again, thread title is top players at this tournament and muller is not one of them. If he played for Nigeria he'd be a top player, but he's definitely held to a higher standard being at Germany. He's just mediocre

16. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Most people in this thread don't seem to realise that defenders are also part of football teams :)

17. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wait, so he is mediocre because the title of top player is relative to his teammates? That hardly seems fair.

That would be like putting Miroslav Klose next to Johan Cruyff and saying he is just mediocre due to relativity.

The kid is no fluke. His record at both club and national level speaks for his skill.

Not that it is a metric that should even be taken seriously, but The Guardian ranks Thomas Müller as the 25th best footballer in the world and Pjanic at 81st. Definitely means maybe only three >s instead of seven ;)

People will laugh, but I will always include Carles Puyol as one of the top 10 players in the history of the sport. He wasn't pretty, there wasn't a lot of finesse, but what a player.

18. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Lots of people getting confused, this is not top 10 in the world, but top 10 in the World Cup.

19. TheBull

TheBull New Member

Jul 6, 2014
  20. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No one is getting confused. A player can hardly be ">>>>>>Müller" in a World Cup when he is not ranked as such in the World, especially considering Müller has tallied more goals and really guided the German attack.

21. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Hey, I picked Lahm in my top 10!

22. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I wasnt attacking Muller, but despite the goals, I consider Lahm and Neuer to be better just in the german squad.

23. Guevara

Guevara Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Aix-en-provence
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In general? Sure. This world cup? No way. Lahm has been good, but since moving back to his natural position he has been a noticeably better player. Almost every German fan here at Big Soccer seems to identify Müller as the crucial cog in their machine.

If we are being honest, the whole German team has pretty much been fantastic, aside from Mustafi, Höwedes, and Götze. Özil is a debate everyone is having, and one in which I won't get involved.

24. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Neuer? I know he's excellent but he hasn't had as much work.

25. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Fair enough, I see it a little different. Muller had a great start when the opposition was relatively weaker, however, Neuer has gotten more action and saved Germany as the opposition gets harder.