Top 10 MLS Salaries

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by capitalist, Jul 8, 2005.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Overpaid:
    Wolff - Cut that in half 200K at the most
    Mathis - deserved it on reputation again 200K based on production
    Pope - Deserves it on longevity and loyalty again should go down like Agoos over next 4 years
    Sanneh- Should be paid 100K. He had injury. and skills were sproadic at bes
    Armas - Another one of those getting paid for the past. I don't mind it for this year but they all these should go down over next few years
    Kirovski - Should have never been signed for 290K. 150K at best

Adu, Johnson and Donovan are the 3 that deserves it. But because Donovan 'loves playing in the US' He would have signed for less. 600K anyone.

2. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow.

Do people understand that contracts are signed for multiple years and they are not based on a player's current performance?

Wolff signed his contract in the run up to WC '02 when he was scoring goals against Mexico and garnering a lot of interest from abroad. MLS ponied up the cash to keep him here instead of letting him go on a free (unlike Boca or Mathis). I would bet huge amounts of cash that the same people who are now complaining that he is overpaid are the same as the ones who were screaming for MLS to pay the money to keep him here and not go to Europe.

And to compare Donovan and Dempsey's salaries? Please. Imagine the uproar if MLS started throwing 6 figure salaries to kids straight out of college, unproven on the professional level.

Depsey will get his cash, but if MLS has him under contract for 2 more season at $50k, why just "give" him more money?

And always remember, it takes 2 to sign a contract.

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Most people posting in this thread are ********ing morons.

4. slo68

slo68 New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Does anyone have the complete MLS salaries by teams?

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So where do you propose getting the money to pay for this? I think the next step would be to have the max salary at 1.5 - 2 mil and the min at 60 - 70k (with a development countract at 30 - 40k). I think that would be a more realistic step.

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one of the most realistic posts that I've seen, when it comes to base salary. It makes a lot of sense, because the variable is the marked difference of housing costs around the country. That and the difference in auto insurance between New Jersey and the rest of the country. :p

9. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    That very nice for american players ....