Top 10 clubs in the Americas

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by MIGkiller, Oct 10, 2003.

1. AtNacional

AtNacional Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Washington DC
    467-Tolima

745-Millonarios

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    jajajajaja:D

See, that's the good thing about not being a die-hard fan, I can see things more accurately and not get offended by somebody telling the truth.

However, I think that Millos has improved to be around 733 and Tolima if they get in into the playoffs would be 401.....jajajaja.

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    estoy casi de acuerdo con Dapip (solo por que no se a quien poner de #10)?

en lo que si creo que todos estamos de acuerdo es que los top 10 de america salen de copa libertadores como ganadores de grp....mas su posicion en el torneo local pueden ser el MEJOR parametro para los primeros 7 meses del año.

BTW: tolima se metio a cuadrangulares en colombia, acaba de ganarle en un partidazo al azul de peluffo 2-1, dream on pal.

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    what to do?

what do we do with once caldas and boca?

how is the new ranking shape up?

once caldas
    boca
    river
    sao Paulo
    Dim
    LDU
    santos
    ????
    ????
    ????Help with last 5 on the top 10 list

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: what to do?

At. Nacional
    Pumas
    Dep. Tachira
    Dep. Cali

who else?

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

pumas si! pero no gano convenciendo a muchos, menos a los de chivas!
    dept tachira? gano el torno venezolano?
    cali y atl. nacional, gracias por participar en la copa Mustang......Nada mas.

I think team number 7 and 8th come from Peru or chile? Uruguay...esta de mal en peor

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Maybe from Peru, after the awful campaign that Chilean teams had in Libertadores, Chilean football is at the bottom of the totem in South America!!

[​IMG]

8. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS

The lucky bastards didn't win s..t in Venezuela (Dep. Tachira)

CaracasFC won the tournamente 2002-2003, won Apertura 2003, won Clausura 2004, automatically won the 2003-2004 tournament.
    Tachira hasn't beat CaracasFC since 2000 "The curse of the bus" (they are our b..ch)
    [​IMG]

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    alianza and cienciano(i hate to say it) are playing some nice futbol at the mo

10. benjags

benjags New Member

May 29, 2004

Sad but true :( (at least for now) but next libertadores Universidad de Chile (champion of the Apertura a few week ago) will be back to the tournament, let's hope they do something for the chilean honor...

11. ecuafutbolfreak

Jun 3, 2004
    Quito
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    LDU! cmon, they almost eliminated santos, it was just the PK that did them in. and barcelona narrowly lost to the eventual champs.

12. and once caldas did eliminate santos santos didnt get far anyways...

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    welcome here ecua! who is number one in your list

so what is your ranking for the 1st half of the year?

where do you place ecua temas? 7th or 10th....and why

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The thing now is a lot simpler than at the end of the year, since there are only 4 national Champs. And I guess that the top 8 from libertadores should be in the rank, regardless.

1. Once Caldas - Champion defeating the king of cups.
    2. Boca - They only lost in PKs.
    3. River - Argentinian Champs, lost in PKs in Libertadores.
    4. Sao Paulo - Were 1 minute away from PKs in semifinals.
    5. Santos - Also very close to get onto the next round.
    6. LDU - Nice game, close quarterfinal.
    7. Medellin - Colombian Champions.
    8. Tachira - Tournament's revelations
    9. Cali - Good run in Libertadores, nice LT, not enough.
    10. Pumas - Mexican champs.

15. dbdb

dbdb New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    São Paulo
    River
    São Paulo
    São Caetano
    Boca
    Santos
    Once Caldas

The rest are co-stars.

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    sao caetano over boca and Once? you are High are you?
    you need cienciano and the last peruvian champs or not? to fill up #7 or #8

aucas?

17. dbdb

dbdb New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    São Paulo
    Nope. I'm very sure and conscious of what I did. Just because São Caetano was eliminated earlier (on PKs to Boca) you may say they are not that good. They are. Those 5, 3 brazilians and 2 (always the same) argentinians, and Once Caldas, because they were champions. Once Caldas has its merits, bu they've been very lucky too. Against Santos, São Paulo and Boca (in order), the three played a better football, but were eliminated by details, and sometimes some luck by the colombian team. "Champion's luck"...maybe...

18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

19. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What an idiot...

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    did sao caetano did well in local tournament?

just tell us who did best in brazil 1st 6months of the yr: sao paulo, santos or sao caetano? then you get a top 10 contender

21. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    its not luck, its called discipline, they had that edge over the rest, just like Boca did in previous Libertadores.....

22. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    I call luck winning the tournament by playing easy teams.
    Once Caldas wasn't lucky, they won the right way.

Once Caldas only played one "easy" team in the 2nd round.
    They had to beat the 2003 runner-up, one of Brazil's best teams and the 2003 Champion/World Champion.

LUCKY????????

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Tell the Greeks that Portugal played better, they will laugh at you!!!

See, with few exceptions, the winning team is the better team, even if you don't like their brand of football. And let me ask you this: If they played better, how come they didn't score enough to win? Defense is a valid approach to the game!!!! And those "details" made the difference.

On the other hand Once's rivals were great contenders, and they are really close in the ranks, is not like is Once and nobody else, au contraire, it was a fun tournament because it was very difficult to predict a winner, since teams were sooooo even.

24. dbdb

dbdb New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    São Paulo
    No. Once was lucky, too. If you don't want to admit, don't admit. But if they played again for 10 times the three teams which overplayed them, maybe they could win one.
    But Greece x Portugal wasn't a clear superiority of Portugal. Specially because of the ridiculous mistake of the two portuguese defenders and the ridiculous goalkeeper. That goal was really ridiculous.
    And if you watch São Paulo x Once Caldas or Boca x Once Caldas in São Paulo and in Buenos Aires, you'll see a tremendously clear superiority of the two teams over Once. They were very unfortunate of not having scored even one goal.

What you said that "with few exceptions, the winning team is the better team" is wrong. And it's obvious. In a playoff system the best team (the one who would probably win in a league tournament) can play a game badly and (in a two game decision, like Libertadores) can't be able to recover it in the next match. In just two or one game(s) many things might happen. Maybe a team plays better but the ball doesn't enter the goal, then the opponent in a lucky strike may score. This happens in soccer. It's part of it.
    But that odd argument that the champion is the one who played best is so underrated that shouldn't deserve comments. Isn't it?

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that your brazilian colors are blinding you!!!

I saw the games Once-Sao Paolo and Once-Boca and the chances for all teams were pretty even. It only looks like the other team is dominating because that is Once's style: Let them have the ball and they counter-attack. I just watched the game against Boca (yahoo.com, don't tell my boss:D) and this is the game I saw: Once had the first chance and scored. After that Boca got the ball but did not have clear chances, but on the breakaway Once had two or three chances, and the first half ended with Boca having the ball but not knowing what to do with it. In the second half Cangele created troubles on the right wing and in a foul in that sector created a free kick that Boca sent in. After that the game was even for like 10 minutes, Boca had 2 or three chances after that, and Once gained control and had three shots one after the other where they could have scored. The final 10 minutes where very boring, slow and the teams didn't know how to break the other team's defence. In the PKs Boca did not score!!!!!

Clear superiority from Boca? I don't think so. An even game, anybody could have been the winner. As I told you before, the top 4 or 5 teams are really close, and when I said that the best team is the winner, is not because of some poetic justice (almost never happens) but the other way around: In close decisions the best team is the one lifting the silverware.