Tony Meola - WC 2006 Goalie

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by QuakeAttack, Aug 2, 2002.

1. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First problem is this, Meola DOES still get beat to the near post. Don't ask me to name games, because I couldn't. I am picturing very clearly, him getting beat near post on two different occassions. This may have occurred at the end of last season, but, regardless, the problem didn't disappear eight years ago, or even four years ago. His positioning is still mediocre, which it definitely shouldn't be for a keeper of his age. Yeah, he had one spectacular year in 2000. But that is it. And there is NO WAY I can accept that any of Meola's WC games, tournaments, apperarances, etc. are better than Friedel's performance this year in Korea. The guy stopped two penalty kicks for Pete's sake, and single handedly kept us in the Korea match. Oh yeah, his foot skills suck REALLY bad. If Meola is on the 2006 WC team, it will be as a peacemaker (like this year). He will not play in WC 2006.

2. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finished typing my previous message and turned to the window sill. Aghast, and shocked nearly to horror, I could only yell out, "Where's my fugging pie??!!!??!!!"

Must be Tony's revenge.......

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    can someone give a history on the pie joke so I can laugh too?

4. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a chher that goes something like this, actually, exactly like this:

Who ate all the pies?
    who ate all the pies?
    You fat bastard, you fat bastard
    You ate all the pies!!!

He really enjoys the fans getting involved in the game and especially appreciates when you scream that in his ears for forty five minutes. And if you get tired of that, there is another fairly simple one that he enjoys just as much. And it works great, despite what his supporters say about his weight.

He's fat, he's round
    His a$$ touches the ground.
    It's Meoooola, Meoooola

And just for fun, I came up with this one just this moment, and I will dedicate it to you, flanoverseas.

(to the tune of the Slinky theme song)

Meola, Meola
    He's fat and a crappy goalie
    Meola, Meola
    On him you can score easily
    (unless you are DC with a 6,000,000 minute goalless streak)

5. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Re: the last laugh...

Zach Thorton plays with one of the best defenses in MLS most years. Last year he had Bocanegra, Curtin, CJ Brown, Whitfield, and Gutierez all spending time on his backline, all have also at one point or another been argued for callups on this very BigSoccer forum. Having Armas destroying attacks also doesn't hurt. Anyone who knows soccer knows that goalie stats mean nothing. Who is better? A goalie who faces 9 horrible long range shots and one tough shot and lets the goal go in but saved the other nine for a .900 save perecentage. Or is it a goalie like Howard who commonly is pelted with tough shots but might have a little lower save percentage. Anyone who judges a goalie by stats is ignorant, there really isn't another word for it. Thorton is an average keeper at best. His mobility is less then can be accepted at the international level and he sometimes takes bad angles to the ball. I went to this year's Colorado-Chicago game in Chicago, Fire won 2-1 but Thorton made NO good saves and the goal that beat him was weak. He also was beaten by another shot just to see it slide by the post. If Thorton is our starting keep in 2006 may God help out national team......

6. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    I agree with Travis. Thorton's stats look great, but that is because of a stellar defense. If Tim Howard was the goalie of the Fire, they'd have the best record in MLS by far.
    Tim Howard will be our goalie in 2006 unless he gets hurt. Look for Friedel or Keller to be the backup and the 3rd goalie is not important(since he won't play) so it can be anybody.

Meola's last day in a US National Team Uniform was at RFK Stadium; 7 days ago.

7. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    here we go again...

seems like I just had a post agreeing with stats alone not being a good indicator of a 'keepers worth. But some like to read selectively and see only what they want to see. Go back a few posts and read cos only an idiot would blaze through all the other dialogue just to make his own post look clever just like only an idiot would judge a 'keeper only by his stats.
    I posted those stats to show Thornton has the pedigree and experience and numbers to support my contention he's a great 'keeper, and the stats back that up. Not to PROVE my point, just to give it something tangible people can look at. That's all. End of story on that, ok?
    You've been to one whole game where you saw Thornton play? I've been to or seen several season's worth. He didn't make one good save that game you saw? I'm sorry you weren't impressed, but who's fault is that that Colorado didn't challenge him very hard? Maybe the Rapids deserve your spite a bit more.
    As for Thornton playing in front of good players...okay, fair enough. But, need I remind anybody, that this year the Fire has lost over 126 player games to injuries. Meaning they haven't had a giant portion of their players for most of the season. Not some of the season, over 50%. Way over. No Chris Armas, No Evan Whitfield(for the entire year too) no Peter Nowak for going on something like 6 or 7 weeks now...and Zach STILL kept them alive and in the hunt! Truth be known the team wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs if it weren't for him. His team knows it(and appreciates it) and the fans know it. You should be able to see that too. In fact, Bocanegra(and Brown to an extent) is the only universally recognized top flight defender on his back line. The other two have mostly been Jim Curtin(2nd year) and Kelly Gray(rookie). And you make it sound as if poor Tim Howard has nobody to play for him. He's surrounded by nothing but crap. He's only got Petke, Balboa and Jolley on 'D' and Hernandez, Williams and Mathis in the middle. Yeah, that line-up sure blows :rolleyes:
    I've never said Howard was anything but a great 'keeper himself(he makes fantastic saves), only that Zach was as good or better and deserves the same respect and to be considered for the top job same as Tim.
    I wonder if there aren't other reasons for some people's bias. This is for the national team. What clubs they play for shouldn't be an issue.

at any rate, the job is and should be Friedel's until it can't be.

8. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Well, judging keepers is highly subjective. I honestly don't know what your purpose of posting stats were but my point was to tell other people they mean nothing. I've seen a number of Fire games this year, just the Colorado one stuck out in my head. If you want to use yesterday thats fine too. The first goal shouldn't have gone in...period. Say what you will about deflections but the ball was postmarked for the same side of the goal it went to despite the deflection. I played keeper for a number of years and still do (obviously not at a level like Thorton :D) and deflections are always tough, but that one should have been had pretty easily for a man with the type of reach Zach has. Its hard to argue with the second goal, really not much you can do when your defenders decide to leave Kries wide open...
    But individual games don't matter. The bottom line in my mind is Thorton just doesn't make enough good saves to be considered for the USMNT job, is it his fault? Well not that he doesn't get more chances to, but if he would save a few more of the shots that do beat him he would be in the running. We need someone who has the ability to dominate a game, the USMNT isn't going to be the best team at the next WC, and there will probably be a game where GK will decide if we are to advance or not. I think Howard has a better chance of pulling off a string of spectacular saves then Thorton would ever have. But I guess its all opinion, and it really doesn't matter, the Bruce will have his way...

9. Miloco

Miloco Red Card

Jun 6, 2002
    West Palm Beach
    Was Tony the one behind the goal when Kansas City was beaten by Morelia 6-1 last week?

10. ultraviolet

ultraviolet New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    KC
    yes, and he was also the one who stopped 2 penalty kicks v. DC...BTW, that was a new record.

11. Casper1377

Casper1377 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    changed my mind anyway...

okay.... you STILL don't understand about the stats...go back to my last post before yours and READ CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY the first paragraph. Then read it again, sounding out each word. I swear it's in there. You should be able to find the answer. Reading comprehension...please.

anyway...yeah, he had a bad game.And that first goal WAS dispicable. No argument there whatsoever. Horrible, terrible, stinking, rotten, awful, disgraceful performance. A bad, bad game from a naughty, naughty goalkeeper. Shame!
    It seems like other 'keepers have those from time to time too. I'm sure Oliver Kahn, Peter Shmeichel, Gordon Banks and even YOU :D in your experience have had a bad game or two or let a bad goal in that you wish you could have back. Maybe not...

in any regard, Thornton sucks and we should run his ass out of town. As soon as he gets back from Dallas angry villagers with torches and pitchforks are going to his house.
    SO it looks like Tim Howard will be the only option for goal next World Cup. I just hope he can find time to come down off the cross to make the game. If he can't I'm sure you'll be available!

cheers!

12. Obviously Brad Freidel, barring injury, will be back in the nets for us in 2006. If history has shown anything, it is that a keeper will play far longer for a national team than most other players. Also given the fact that he is arguably our best player, I am doubting that he won't be in Germany. I could say the same for Keller. Howard deserves the third spot, and by that time may well be the best keeper that we have got, if he isn't right now.

The only reason Tony went to Korea was to talk to the press. Also, in the unlikely event that Casey and Brad both were injured, Tony would have come in with a lot of experience. I don't think that anyone, including Bruce Arena, would take Meola over Howard as a starting keep, but the Cup is different, and different rules apply.

Of course, Howard may not play in the WC for another eight years. You can say that a keeper gets better with age, but when you take into account that Howard's best ability is his agility, you would have to think that HE will be at his prime in four years, not in eight. Regardless, he should get the bulk of the play in internationals for the next few years.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

Only by the total morons of the world. Baggio remembered mostly for the PK? I don't think so. I honestly believe that most people will remember his 1994 WC in a positive light.

Knowledgeable baseball fans will not remember Buckner just for the one bad play that happened after the Red Sox blew a seemlingly insurmountable lead. You might have a point about Norwood, though if I recall correctly it was a 50-50 kick to begin with.

14. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

That's cold!!! Fat Tony is still getting it done in MLS and who knows if Bruce will even be the coach then???