Tony Adams' #6 shirt - The Official view

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Jeff L, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    After raising the topic with our vice chairman, Mr. David Dein, about giving consideration to "permanently retiring" Tony's shirt, I got a letter from the club today on this point. I'll "cut to the chase" for the important paragraph.
    "Tony was a legendary player for us and will be sorely missed. As a mark of respect, we have retired the number 6 shirt for this season".
    Draw from that want you want. My opinion is, is that it will not be a "Permanent Reitirement", and if we had had signed someone other than Toure after Tony confirming his retirement it might have gone. Does the "respect" for him after this season?
    My view is that they will probably keep it out for a season after that until the red shirt changes again and then Sol Campbell will "drop down" from 23 to 6.
    It has to go to someone with some background and "almost equalness", and he does wear 6 for England.
    Let's wait and see. Any other view points, I'll be glad to hear on.

2. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one reason why I haven't bought a Campbell kit yet.

3. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just as it should be.

Remove the shirt from circulation for one season as a mark of respect to a true Arsenal legend but then bring it back.

With all due respect to Mr. Adams there have been equally venerated men before him who have retired and recieved far less.