Tokyo Olympics 3rd place: USWNT vs Australia, August 5, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 2, 2021.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USWNT will face Australia in the match for a bronze medal on August 5 at 4 am ET (5 pm local). The match will be played in Kashima Stadium, so not only is this a re-match of the group stage match, it is in the same stadium! The game will be broadcast live on USA and Telemundo.

The teams will choose an 18-player game day roster from their 22-player rosters. However, Australia will be missing Carpenter who received a red card in their last match.

The US is 26-1-4 all-time against Australia, with of course the last match being the group stage match in which the two teams played to a 0-0 draw. Hopefully, this game, in which both teams are playing for a win, will be different than the last!

kennytt, jnielsen, West Ender and 2 others repped this.
  2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It will be very surprising if it isn't different.

blissett repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A team will be awarded bronze medals.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, if the US starters couldn't put more than 2 shots on goal in a must-win SF match, I have trouble thinking they'll provide any more excitement in the bronze medal match. Not sure about Australia, but just browsing the SF match threads, they seemed more lively in their SF than the US did.

West Ender and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I won't hold my breath. :coffee:

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Even having a third place match is absurd. The two losers in the semis should share the bronze and be done with it. I don't remember for sure but I think there is no longer a turd* place match in the World Cup or the Euros or just about any tournament now days. Turd place is for only providing extra income for the IOC.

More interesting would be a mini-tournament between the four worst teams for the right to claim the title of "The Worst team at the Olympics."

But there will never be any such because it makes so little sense to the IOC as they can't hear or see that anything is wrong with their heads up their collective a$$e$.

*Intentional.

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    WC and WWC still have it but neither of the Euros do.

sitruc, kennytt, CookieRules and 2 others repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it wasn't bad enough, this may have us US fans eating our liver: it's possible if the Fates conspire, that Germany could wind up ranked #1 as the result of a tournament they didn't even play in!

CookieRules repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    TBQH I would rather have Germany on top of the rankings than Sweden. X-D But I hope USA wins bronze and Canada gold, both outright, so as to preserve the "natural order" of things. :ROFLMAO:

CookieRules and kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tierna Davidson should start in the Bronze Medal match. It's important for the coaches to show faith in her and to help her put the penalty behind her (which is a horse-poop call even if supposedly it's becoming the norm)

Also, most of the reserves (or at least they should see major minutes).Franch of course (Naeher's injury probably prevents her from playing anyway). Krueger. Macario. Kristie Mewis. Lynn Williams.

Ertz should be rested but I hope Horan and Sam Mewis are able to play and help provide an anchor for the reserves. Carli Lloyd, I think, would be willing to put it all out there for her teammates in a Bronze Medal match. (I respect her for that)

kennytt, jnielsen, West Ender and 3 others repped this.
  11. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that you, John Herdman?

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want Alyssa to heal and my other Red Stars players to come back healthy to Chicago. We still have a Championship to play for back home!

13. PortiereNuovo

PortiereNuovo Member

Jun 20, 2019
    I remember when Phil Neville called the third place match nonsense and a bunch of the 2015 team said this was one of their proudest moments in football. I'm sure that Aus wanted gold, but getting a medal would be huge for them. Not as much for many of the Americans, true.

blissett, kolabear and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Should the "third" goalkeeper (Jane Campbell) see time as well. All she needs to do to get a metal if the US wins bronze is to be on a game day roster. I do not remember her being on one, yet. Of course if Naeher is really done then it is a moot point. I think we have to have two goalkeepers on our game day roster and, without Naeher, there are only two left.

If my memory is correct and Franch has been the backup on the bench every match then it would be horrible for Jane Campbell to be left off. If Naeher can go then Jane Campbell should be the backup or all three keepers should be on the roster or Naeher should not be on the roster.

kennytt and kolabear repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Phil Neville got a lot of negative feedback from that statement. Mainly because it showed ignorance to the rise his team had achieved to get that medal. It becomes a building block and investment can then come to bring the game in the country on even further.

Australia are in a similar position. Beating a top team in an international tournament cannot be underestimated for most teams.

sitruc, jnielsen, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  16. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australia will definitely be elated to win the bronze medal. USWNT on the other hand just probably want to leave Japan and come home right now.

blissett repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Semblance17, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    *Is that you, Phil Neville?

Thank you @PortiereNuovo for reminding me of the proper name with which to correct my one-liner. I remember John Herdman behaving rather childishly after losing one of the CONCACAF qualifying tournament finals, and I somehow confused his name with that of Phil Neville, who minimized the importance of the bronze medal match and downplayed the players' emotional investment in it...by sheer coincidence only after losing that match at the 2019 WWC.

At any rate, I would argue it's very important for the USWNT to exit this very rocky tournament they've had with their heads held high and to leave the Olympics with hardware around their necks for the first time in nine years. True a bronze medal may seem like insufficient redemption for what happened five years ago, but a victory over Australia after their extremely underwhelming meeting earlier in the tournament wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. Not to mention that the team could at least resume their commendable practice of not walking away from any major tournament empty-handed after their lapse in 2016.

jnielsen, blissett, kolabear and 3 others repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is a massive game for the US when you think of what a loss would mean. Imagine losing 3 out of the 6 games. With only one win in 90 minutes from those 6 games.

sitruc, jnielsen, West Ender and 5 others repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this exact reason, Campbell was on the game day roster against New Zealand. All 22 players will get a medal if we win the game.

I think it even matters for some of the Americans. A good number on the roster do not have an Olympic medal yet, and some also were not there in 2019 and are without a WWC title. It's not the match that they wanted to be in, but I think all still want to win.

Fun fact: this is the first time the USWNT has ever been in an Olympic 3rd place match. We obviously won gold in 1996, 2004, 2008, and 2012. We were in the final in 2000 but won silver, and were knocked out early in 2016. But, we do have experience in WWC 3rd place matches, and the USWNT actually has a perfect record in those WWC 3rd place matches (3-0 from 1995, 2003, and 2007).

jnielsen, West Ender, edcrocker and 5 others repped this.
  20. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point but with the emotional breakdown of a lot of the players post the Canada loss I don't think they have the psyche to go for the bronze.

blissett and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Shoots @Disapproving Hippo a Disapproving Glare*

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I would say this is a ridiculous post, but I guess we haven't seen much of the USWNT mentality in this tournament, so well, you may have a point.

But, I don't think it'll come down to the "psyche" of the team. Emotions from the semifinal will be processed and the team will move on to this game. Then, either the USWNT will rise to the level we know that they can play at, or Australia will continue their rise in form and make the USWNT continue the sloppy, lethargic play that they've had in most of the tournament.

blissett repped this.
  23. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming from an objective football fan, I would be shocked if they can actually pull a win on Thursday so much more than my extreme bemusement of how maybe 18 out 22 player roster just instantaneously playing so bad. I have never witnessed something of a collapse like this. There has to be something behind the scenes. Perhaps the water in Japan, real sushi, wagyu beef, that ceremony they had in Miyazaki...or something else.:unsure:

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 lil_one, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    No Naeher:

At least there's no ligament damage, so she should come back fairly quickly and be able to play for Chicago later this season.

EDIT to add: I've had a very similar injury from playing soccer (also from landing awkwardly), and it is painful. But, it heals fairly quickly, depending on the severity, of course. I would guess she's back in a few weeks as long as there really wasn't any ligament damage (with the caveat that I'm not any kind of medical professional here).

jackdoggy, kennytt, ytrs and 3 others repped this.
  25. CookieRules

CookieRules Member

N/a
    United States
    Jul 1, 2021
    What about goal differential?