Tokyo 2020: Men's Olympic Football -- Tournament Discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jul 20, 2021.

1. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wait, I thought in the Olympics, after # of points, the next criteria would be goal difference. Wouldn't Argentina be out if Egypt wins as Egypt would have a better goal difference with the same amount of points?

2. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1-0 Spain. Had to happen. Would take a miracle to go through now. Even though we aren't having all our best guys, Jesus Christ this bunch is shite... Ledesma and Medina the only ones who get a pass from me.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We're most likely out regardless lol

Its better than losing to that yellow team since we've been shit since the begining in this tourney. Losing 0-2 to a terrible Australia team....

soul24rage repped this.
  4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, it doesn't matter as we are utterly rubbish.

locoxriver, soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  5. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Vamos!!!! Actually managed to get some chances these last few minutes but to say it is deserved would be a stretch. And Egypt two up now. If this stands we are through.

6. Duchene2Mackinnon

May 9, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What a horrible showing. Thiago with an assist did more than Alexis in less than 15 mins.

locoxriver and pregra repped this.
  7. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Almada with a nice corner. Let him start the next match.

8. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah Alexis has been shocking from the 1st minute of the 1st game unfortunately.

locoxriver and Duchene2Mackinnon repped this.
  9. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hmm on Wiki it says that goal difference counts before head to head

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, so the match's finished, we still had no idea who will progress :laugh:. I thought we're since its usually goal difference.

11. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah we are out, commentator also saying that on my stream. Didn't deserve to go through anyway.

Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They've been teribble in all pre olympics friendlies aswell. We wont win any silverware at youth level with Batista in charge. I dont count qualifier.

Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Spain was leagues above. Granted they were able to take more of a complete squad (including 6 players from the Euros roster), but so many of our guys are so average.

Urzi is Di Maria without the skills... Belmonte and Vera provide nothing.. MacAlister a ghost all tournament. De La Vega was perhaps the best midfielder, without necessarily being amazing.

Even the defense was shaky since the first game, despite counting with players like Nehuen Perez and Medina (who a lot of people wanted on the senior NT).

To have a clueless coach didn’t help either, but if it wasn’t now they were going to get eliminated eventually playing this way. They put up a fight with their limitations, but it was clear this wasn’t a Gold side

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany and France out aswell I think. Big adventage for Brazil and Spain. Although African sides usually put great performance at this level.

15. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Imagine this olympic side will become senior team without Messi, Di Maria lol.

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn’t really these games. I saw the second game, which was at 12am and the other two starters at 330 and 4… Yeah, I wasn’t going to bother with those. The second game was a snoozer. And we barely beat freakin Egypt, who by the way advanced…

Once again we come into Japan and leave with 4 points. You cannot start a tournament with a loss. The kids were probably too excited and took the Aussies lightly and paid for it because the Aussies did not manage a goal again in this tournament.

The last two Olympics have been a disappointment to say the least. They weren’t great teams but unable to get out of the group stages?

Mac Allister was pretty awful from the game I saw of him. Nehuén Pérez, he was equally as bad, and he’s meant to be something special? He looked scared and lost. Played with no confidence. He doesn’t look like a Cholo player.

It is time to replace Batista, promote Aimar or something. We cannot go on like this. We gave away a great opportunity during the Sub 20 World Cup a couple years back and we need somebody who can help these kinds develop.

That’s not how it works. These players do not automatically transition into the senior side. Maybe a couple players at best will make the leap to the senior side in the future. For many, this is the end of the road for them in representing the seleccion.
    ————————————-
    We could’ve taken a lot of our star players but they were at the CA and or clubs didn’t want to release them. Another reason I do not like the Olympics because I cannot stand the giant bitch fits clubs throw over international futbol.

pregra, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  17. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't really make too much about this. Fernando Batista is not much of a manager, imo. The Argentina youth teams used to be managed by men that became great managers. Maybe this is just one miss, and not to worry. But we need to address the coaching as well.

As far as the team, do people realize all the players that were eligible but didn't go? Cristian Romero (Tottenham), Lautaro Martinez (Inter), Lisandro Martinez (Ajax), Exequiel Palacios (Leverkusen), Gonzalo Montiel (River Plate), Julian Alvarez (River Plate), Nicolas Dominguez (Bologna), Nicolas Gonzalez (Fiorentina), Juan Foyth (Villarreal), Matias Zaracho (Atletico Mineiro), Matias Palacios (FC Basel), Marcos Senesi (Feyenoord), Leonardo Balerdi (Olympique Marseille), Dario Sarmiento (Estudiantes), Cristian Medina (Boca Juniors) and Exequiel Zeballos (Boca Juniors). ALL 23 YEARS OLD AND UNDER

Also, unlike other teams we didn't send any over 23 players. We could've sent Icardi, Buendia and Dybala. Tell me a full team with best available and these 3 over 23-years old players would not have won us another Gold.

Burr, locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This side has talent and ability. Perez and Vera for instance are excellent players in the making.

But when a coach does not have a clue what chance does anyone have ? How many times have you seen a club side with one manager and players looking lost and scared or uncertain as how to play suddenly thrive and become excellent again under a new manager. Or indeed at national level.

The culprit is Batista. Also as I said before the AFA and clubs for not taking this seriously. It's a step in tournament football getting kids used to the pressure and what it takes to succeed and a vital mentoring opportunity for senior players to work with the pibes.

Our youth set up from 1996 to 2010 was superb. Since then complacency and mismanagement has set in. It's a vital cog in developing a national team and it is being badly handled at the moment.

Why someone like Zubeldia, Beccacece could not devote time away from club duties to this beats me. As I said managing an academy is not why a manager should be chosen for such an important role.

An absolute disgrace once again after several embarrassing episodes in recent youth events.

Burr, soul24rage and Loco repped this.
  19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we didn't deserve to advance it sure looked like Spain got away with a handball in the box. Ultimately was the margin given the 1-1 final. Still it was the loss to Australia that really sunk us. Shame we didn't have some better player selection and coaching. None of our opponents were that impressive imo.

20. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure how Spain could be considered as fav. They scored just twice in 3 games, just like Argentina, Australia and Egypt. We brought underwhelming squad led by below average manager , this result is expected, unless we qualify , we'd lose along the way. Yea there's some great talents, but even these few players has been underwhelming overall. I've been saying since Olympics qualifier, no way we would do any good at real tournament with Batista in charge.

Even 2016 Portugal type of luck probably couldnt pull a team like this to win gold.

21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Spain have the best squad at the games, but like their senior squad they need to create 20 chances in a game to score 1 goal. Think the winner will probably be one of Spain, Brazil, Mexico or Ivory Coast.

locoxriver repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mexico did have history of winning the gold and they beat Brazil in the final 2012.

Japan also performed really well, they might be a darkhorse. Win all games including thrashing France 4-0.

23. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I probably haven't seen enough of him, but he looked like Biglia 2.0. Backpass after backpass and lost the ball as soon as he was put under real pressure.

locoxriver repped this.
  24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm happy for anyone but Brazil to win it :D

25. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So the U-23 Brasil team has been trolling the Argentina U-23 team after we got eliminated. . . I love this!! enough all the good vibes and "mutual respect" - lets get back to sh#t talking!! I am all in!!!