TOA is now the new NASL

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by pc4th, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I don't think there is a chance that the USSF would sanction a USL1 with only 4 teams and not the NASL with 10 teams

That would be totally absurd

2. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, well then I'm calling you out for not knowing this stuff. Please post a link where he didn't say this, and where he says that USL is definitely inferior to MLS. ;)

This is one of those ridiculous foils - who keeps bookmarks to links from articles going back 5-10 years? yet that is the argument you are making Seaside. You expect me to just have direct quotes from a TV interview from many years ago, and when I don't produce them you act like I must be lying. :rolleyes:

What does that even mean? He has consistently paid lip service to competing, but has never actually challenged for first division status. But that's what my point has been form the beginning, that USL/A-League was always a huge spin operation with not much behind the curtain.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what others have been saying in this thread, sanctioning isn't a yearly thing. So since USL1 is already sanctioned, it could be conceivable that they retain their sanction even with only 4 teams.

4. Seaside

Seaside Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Oh man, don't tell me we've been arguing this whole time and I misunderstood your point. Well here is what you actually wrote which prompted me to challenge you:
    (https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19412144&postcount=729)

I agree, that notion is absurd. I think Marcos knows that too. My point remains that I've followed longer than that and don't remember him ever coming close to that notion. Furthermore, if it's as well known that he used to spend all this time saying it, why can't it be pulled up on the almighty Google?

There are plenty of things to dislike about Marcos and USL, but this isn't one of them and again there are more direct overtures from owners of teams in the TOA that have said more about competing with MLS than he has...

I don't want to clog up this thread with anymore of this back and forth. I'm surely willing to continue this privately, but this has devolved into something other than the thread title.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    If the USSF does not sanction the new NASL, a lot of professional players and coaches could lose their job, and this would be absolutely negative for US soccer

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree. Just saying that it is conceivable that NASL could not be sanctioned while USL1 keeps its sanction. If that were the case, I suspect USL would accept most of the NASL teams back. Obviously St. Louis, Miami, and Atlanta would be SOL, but the others shouldn't have a problem.

7. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And PR made it to Semi-Finals.

8. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except all the problems that lead them to form the TOA two years ago. I don't see a forced compromise solving anything - just punting the problem down the road for another year.

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be why I fixed his post to only say one instead of two.

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition to the problems that lead them to form the TOA still existing, there would be a whole lot more problems. Forced compromise is definitely not the best of ideas, but there is nothing requiring USSF to sanction NASL.

11. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    What I recall is that Tim Holt would come out with "we have the opportunity to surpass or be level with MLS with our momentum," some butthurt would happen, then Francisco Marcos would say "USL-1 is a second division league under USSF." This cycle happened, oh, annually.

The difference between this and my complaint about Wellman (first saying things that can't be unsaid based on some reaction in the media and here, then talking about $2-3 million for payrolls, in effect saying the same thing) is that USL already has sanction, and up until this silly season, had enough teams. NASL has to go through Marcos (and, yes perhaps, many other BoG members) to get there.

Many people have been assuming USSF intends to make a rational decision. Um, er, I could have a chuckle over this. At least it's likely only a couple weeks before we know for sure.

12. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kk. Sorry. I tend to skim when I got 4 pages to catch up on. :p

13. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    **sigh** You are so obviously trolling but I will answer to your post anyway...

1) The team who will replace the Caps in NASL in 2011 has already been announced: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Jones/2009/11/30/11986986-sun.html it will be in Edmonton.

2) Montreal will be in MLS in 2012 and has already agreed to a 35$ million dollar expansion fee ( same as Vancouver and Portland) it will be officially announced at first kick 2010 as reported by Ben Rycroft (who was also the first to announce that Vancouver and Portland where in):

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/co...much-time-montreal-appears-ready-to-enter-mls

It is obvious you are not informed at all about the subject at hand and are just posting crap so either please get informed or kindly piss off....

P.S. And if you want to talk about mismanagement you can look squarely at MLSE for a great example..

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Well, thanks to a pissy troll, I learned something that I somehow entirely missed, what with paying so much attention to the USL/NASL. Thanks for repeating something that many folks apparently had already seen!:)

And, no, I'm not being sarcastic. I really do appreciate it!

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chef Medeski

Chef Medeski Member

Sep 25, 2008
    NYC
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they are super busy like everyone else is during December.... man we need some news so we don't have to live off this crap speculation.

17. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I didn't miss this, but I understand what you're saying. I mean, can we really be calling each other out for not recalling every post that the rest of the members of the board have made? This thing is now over 75 pages long, and the thread has been relocated at least twice. I was here since the original page three, and there are definitely beats I've missed.

18. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang, its like a bunch of chicks in her fighting over the last hat.:rolleyes:

I hope someone joins the NASL soon so we have something new to talk about! :cool:

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so happy the USL forum has become so popular. A big welcome to new posters out there. You've joined at a really incredible time of, hmmm...., growth for USL and minor league soccer in North America.

And to all you old guys, keep posting. :D

20. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking about changing my BS bookmark directly to the USL forum instead of the overall forum home page since I immediately scroll down here anyways.

21. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm waiting to change mine to the new NASL forum.

22. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. NJSG

NJSG New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Morris Plains, NJ
    The W-League is at around 34 teams for 2010, the WPSL looks like it will be at around 70. WPSL, like the NPSL, and WPSL, and NASL, is an owner run league.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Bariaga

Bariaga Member

Jul 9, 2008