To the nimrod who lit the road flare in s8

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by williamsbmwfan, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    So why did you reply then? :confused:

2. I did reply to stress that any discussion with GoHawks4 is pointless and I recommend against it. I thought I stated it quite clearly but here it is in black and white, as requested.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    so you went against your better judgement then.

Got it.

:rolleyes:

4. My take on this problem might surprise some.

I, first and foremost, think that we should aim at creating a unique soccer match atmosphere in the United States. I am dissapointed at myself that all I can manage is copy stuff already tried in Europe or America south of the border from America. I am not a big fan of smoke bombs and I even think that rolls of register tape thrown on the field are quite lame (they make a mess after they are thrown and everything looks ugly). I have always been an explorer and willing to go where nobody went before. Of course, many times you get burned and ridiculed by everyone else but that is simply the price you have to pay if you want to achieve anything on the very front.

That is why I love DSLITR chant--it is a unique and original song that, who knows, maybe will be welcomed at red laced stadia in Europe some day. It's worlds better than copying some other Liverpool or Legia shit. I think we, as a group, are creative and intelligent enough to come up with our own stuff and not just play some fucking retarded copycats again.

What does all this have in common with the subject, you ask? Let me say first that I also lost a couple of scarves and a shirt (at Soldier Field), a sweat shirt (in KC) and a brand new Fire training suit (in Morelia, Mexico) to smoke bombs and flares and like pyrotechnics. I bled from my nose when somebody decided to try a military smoke shield trying to cut Section 8 at Old Soldier Field in half, right where I was standing. I even had to cut my hair once because it was burned and stained yellow from some marine safety flare.

And it is all cool. Do I regret the losses? No way! Could I avoid some of them? Probably. I think incidents like the one we are discussing here put us further and further from getting some of the pyrotechic stuff legalized. Not necessarily approved by the authorities but by your fellow section inhabitants. Setting road flares in the middle of the section will never work, not in this country. Those who want to think otherwise will lower themselves to the level of GoHawks4.

I said once, "Organized chanting is like organized crime--much more powerful in outcome." Now I say, "Organized 'flaring' is like organized protest--much safer and pleasant in outcome."

Those who don't believe in the power of the flares will have to think again. Do they make players perform harder? Yes, indirectly. Flares excite supporters, so they yell/cheer/sing louder/harder. This promotes a player effort demanding atmosphere. Get it?

I feel for williamsbmwfan and think we should somehow reimburse him for his lost shirt (seriously). I am not wealthy enough to buy the shirt myself but I can offer a fairly large scale model of BMW Z8 pulled by an X5, all in cool Montreal blue. If not interested, I will have to make a round with a road flare burned hat (I have one, too, I forgot) in Section 8 during the next game.

Finally, those who don't believe in the charm of matches like the most recent Legia-Wisla will have to succumb to this quote of the Slovak referee who directed this game, "This was the biggest spectacle in my career," and the guy referees Champions League matches.

We ought to create the magic, too, but certainly our genuinely own.

Marcin

5. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm with you on this. Flares in the middle of a bunch of people are not cool.

I was just to the left of the guy with the flare and it scared the piss out of the guy I brought (because of his kids), we moved further out of the way...and that's OK. The way the guy wielded the thing was OK at first, but when he got nervous and looked for a place to dispose of it, I think thats when the accident happened. Flares drop hot refuse that will burn anything. I don't care for flares.

If there are going to be alot of pyrotechincs then I won't be able to be in Section 8 anymore...and thats OK too. Perhaps we can have a supporters section that is "flame" free. There are two sections at SF, right? Can we limit all of the pyro activity to the main group so I can bring my kid and not have to worry about flare burns? I know Jason brings his kids and isn't going to want to worry about this type of thing either.

So I vote for having a "tamer" Section 8, lets call it Section 8 1/2, that fans that want to be part of the action, but not exposed to anything dangerous can go.

Anyone have any comments on this?

6. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will be happy to organize this section if anyone is interested.

7. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Any flare activity that takes place in Section 8 at SF will be coordinated and completely safe or it will be taking place without the blessing of "Section 8". We have had talks with management and security and those talks are continuing with regards to things we may be planning in support of the team. With regards to flares, that issue is still under consideration between all parties at this time. If flares get approved they will be approved with guidlines to ensure everybodies safety as well as the facilities safety. There is always a chance some jacknut will just decide to do something on his own, if this were to happen then that individual will be on his/her own with regards to the consequences.

In fact, this was the case Tuesday night. After the flare went off the current security (particularly everybodies favorite goon) came to one of the designated section 8 representatives (in this case Coz) and consulted on how to proceed with entering the section and dealing with the culprit. Section 8's response was that if you know who did it then pull him out and do whatever you want with him. This is the way things will continue to run at SF. As much as possible we should be able to govern ourselves but guidelines will be set between all parties and people who step outside of those guidelines will be dealt harshly.
    Section 8 is and should rememain safe and friendly for any and all true Chicago Fire supporters.

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I think the answer is really very simple. The only safe place to use a flare at a game is when they're hanging over the edge of the section so the hot molten sulfur dripping out of the flare goes to the earth rather than on the fellow supporters. Flares are fine, as would be roman candles, if they're over the field.

I was about six feet away from the man with the flare, no I have no idea who he was, but I think this was probably his first flare. He was surprised as hell when he noticed the drippings. At least, that's my take.

So, organized flares are good, but if idiots to bring their own and don't know how to use them intelligently then we'll have clothing burned.

I have two thoughts about this. One, if we do it in an organized fashion, idiots might be encouraged to bring more. But, I think games on TV will do that too.

Personally I think if we can get them legitimized and under control we'll have less problems with people being idiots. If they're always in the front row and never in the middle of the section, even most of the idiots will learn by example how it should be done.

If we don't ever use them intelligently and let people learn by example I think we'll have occasional random problems like we did this past Tuesday. My big fear is that some idiot will light one in the middle of the section and throw it so he's not caught. Sure, the flare may land on the field, but the drippings don't.

I'd rather someone that's dumb enough to ignite one in the middle of the fans be allowed and encouraged by the people around him to take it to the aisle and down over the edge. Peer pressure from the supporters around him will be better than fear of security. If he thinks it's not allowed and security might nab him, he's more likely to throw it.

I love flares because we are The Fire, but thems my thoughts.

9. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't sit in Section 8 very often at SF. I remember alot of smoke, but no flares. I hope this is an isolated incident. I could have turned the guy in, but have no desire to be a rat.

After the incident there were unmarked security personnel in the area. You might see more of this.

Anyway, I think a Section 8 1/2 will develop on it's own in SF for wives and kids. I think it's a good idea to have a no flame zone for those types.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I anticipate that next year there's going to be some migration of fans to the sideline portion of the stadium.

There isn't universal support of the new location of section 8, and it appears that there's a younger group of people coming up who will be wanting to take charge and do things a bit differently, which is fine. That's just part of what happens with soccer.

That's how some of the other teams have ended up with so many smaller groups.

11. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    In Nappyville when I bring the wife and kids the wife and small kids always sat off to the side of the standing section anyway. I would imagine this will continue to be the case in SF. If similiar families of the standing portion of section 8 do the same thing, at least they could sit together and still chear and have a good time without getting into the 'thick' of things. Whatever. It will all work itself out.

12. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yeah, we're going to be doing something like this the first or second game back.

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yes, we have. One guy had to stir up ill feelings by doing this junk on Tuesday, but if and when we find a way to do this, there are plenty of ideas how so it will be safe.

14. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

With regard to the smoke, perhaps it would also be a good idea for a warning to be passed through the crowd for anyone suffering from respritory problems so they could get out before the smoke covers the section.

As for flares, good lord, imagine if someone's hair caught on fire. Or their clothes. Wouldn't that make for a wonderful time for that Section 8er ending up at Loyola's Burn Unit. Imagine the newspaper stories the next day. The Fire would love that kind of coverage.

Nothing fans do during the game should hurt another fan OR the team's image.

Flares are cool but only when trained, designated fans standing in the front row do it.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Keep in mind that as SF, they actually gave us a smoke machine, so that didn't carry the same bunch of safety issues that a smoke bomb would. Of course, a bunch of people thought it was lame, but that's the tradeoff, I guess.

Later,
    COZ

16. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    It did at the old place too...Section 6.While ostensibly sill aprt of Section 8 it's like any other heat-producing body...it cools off the further you are from its core, but it's all still part of the same thing. Adjoining sections or maybe sections above us will be bled into by Section 8 and be home to all sorts of supporters, and that's all good.

17. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Bingo-bango.

18. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your point is well taken.

I think it's important to keep the avid supporters close together. We started by sitting in the NE end of the old SF. When we discovered you guys, we started sliding down that way. I wanted to be as close as possible but not in the middle. Then we started hanging out in Section 8 for the 1st half to fill in until the "Mob" arrived. At that point we no longer wanted to be in section 8, as it's just too much for small kids. Naperville was far tamer.

Well, we will sit as close as possible with out obstructing the craizes while still beign able to join in.

I'm going to start on my "Sparky's Supporters" banner ASAP. Maybe figure out something for the kids to join in, like using super soakers to nail the goalies. Or perhaps a "used diaper" slingshot... that ought to add some atmosphere.

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I think everyone will be comfortable doing their own thing, and still generally be all together. And that is the main purpose anyway, that despite our individual groups and methods we are all one voice from the same end.

20. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    What Marcin said - AWESOME! Trying new things and supporting th team is where its at.

What GoHawks4 said - Dumb with a capital "D". Listen pal, if you're willing to base your opinion on thousands of people based on what one dude said to a magazine then you're just as bad as the people you claim to despise.

Let's not forget though - we're on the same side here! We're on top of the table, in the finals of the Open Cup, strong contenders for the MLS cup and widely thought to be the best team in the MLS. These are good, no, GREAT times. We should be thrilled and excited and working together to make this even better!

screw dallas,
    -Karl

21. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    This has turned into a very good constructive discussion. Much better than when the DC troller was babbling about the Waambulance.

22. Agreed, I have been close to Section 8 many times, but have never really taken the opportunity to meet many of you. I really have to admire the support for the team, the strong organization of the group, and the ability to self govern constructively.

Well done!

23. williamsbmwfan

williamsbmwfan New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Oak Park
  24. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999