To Protect or Not to Protect (Expansion Draft Thread)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by adammac19, Oct 21, 2009.

1. juicethps

juicethps New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    CFB Borden
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Protected:
    Attakora
    Cronin
    de Guzman
    De Rosario
    Frei
    Gomez
    White
    Edwards
    Brennan
    ibby
    Guevara

Unprotected:
    Barrett
    wynne
    Fellinga
    Gala
    Garcia
    Robinson
    Vitti
    sanyang
    serioux

that my list
    think guavara has a few years left in him and if motivated him and the capt. can help guide alot of the younger talent on the team. dero and guzman gives a very solid core to work around. cronin is solid, frei and edwards both great young goalies. attakora is getting better daily and is easily our best defender. ibby due to contract restrictions hasn't played much but is a great young talent that i think we should hold on to as long as possible. gomez is a very interesting player with alot of potential. white is the man, hopefully by next season he will be 100%. i have high hopes for white. so thats my protected list. if other stay cool:)

vitti has not been productive but has had bright moments on the field, sanyang has lots of talent and good promis but just didn't make my top 11 hope we can keep him, barrett needs to go, gerba needs to work on his speed/ stamina, garcia needs to go, robinson should consider retiring after this season is finished. serioux is hurt to much, but solid when he plays felinga still too new to tell but hope serioux and felinga can stay

cheers

2. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Barrett is better than White!

3. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brennan and Edwards over Wynne and Serioux?

4. ErnieE

ErnieE Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Oakville Ontario
    Barrett is better than White....................White is probably going to be a star, Barrett never will be.

5. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Quoting again for your list making benefit:

Agree with this, usually first year players do not usually graduate, but in the case of Frei, similar to Mo Edu after his rookie season, he will likely graduate.

6. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A number of people are suggesting leaving Guevara unprotected. I hope that he's on the team next season if for no other reason than being able to see 'Amado Guevara, Toronto FC' flashed on the screen during the world cup.

7. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I would love to make a wager with you! White is 5 months younger than Barrett and he will NOT be a star in any league, ever! He has nothing to his game, I am glad you are all hoping for the next great thing, but White is nowhere near it!

8. chrisw2000

chrisw2000 Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't think this will be an issue as no games are going to be played in the MLS during the group stage of the world cup and I don't see Honduras making it out of the group stage round.

9. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The issue will come in whether he plays his heart out for TFC (gives 100%) pre World Cup or whether he will play a more reserved game in which he will do little more than what he has to in order to ensure he won't sustain injury (gives 60%, similar to what Smenge mentioned about his performances this season).

Unprotected!

10. chrisw2000

chrisw2000 Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would not be against letting Guevera go as he has not been up to the standard he played at last year. However the team needs to find someone that can take corners and free kicks with the danger that only Guevera seems to bring. I have yet to see anyone else on the team that comes close to the strikes and delivery that he provides.

11. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I am surprised that people would discuss leaving Guevara unprotected. If he has or hasn't had a great season is a fair argument, however, he is capable of influencing a game all by himself, he is the type of player that teams in this league have a hard time finding.

12. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It's more down to strategy than anything else. Guevara is an aging international, with a high salary, who may or may not be leaving MLS in the near future. Would Philadelphia be willing to take that risk on him? Probably not; they could most likely find a cheaper, younger option somewhere else. Of course it's a risk leaving him out there, as it is with any player, but there are a load of factors to consider when it comes to these expansion drafts.

13. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I agree with that logic and that is why guys like Brennan & Gerba are no brainers. I don't think anybody in the league would take a Brennan or Gerba given their age, salary or what they have shown.

14. smenge

smenge New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    0-5 TFC NYB ergo: everybody should go.

15. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agree. Aging players with high salaries are usually passed over in the expansion draft.

Most clubs expose their veterans knowing they will probably not get picked.

And Guevara will have world cup fever next season so who knows what his mindframe and commitment will be.

16. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry but you lost that wager...White is more than 5 months younger that Barrett. ;)

Maybe you don't know but White decided to finish university first before turning professional. He was eligible to be drafted last season but he passed it by. Can't really blame him for doing what he did.
    The injury was just bad karma.

Besides that...you're making a bold prediction about a guy who's coming back from major knee surgery and is still finding his legs.

17. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008

Look up their info. White and Barrett are born in the same year months apart. If White is injured and not fully fit, than he shouldn't be playing, how else can I give you an opinion. Nothing bold about it, he isn't very good.

18. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think you're the only one expecting much from White this season.

Just about everyone knows he needs to get back to the level that he used to play at. And the only way to get back to full match fitness is by getting playing time.

And by the way...you said 5 months apart. Barrett is born in April and White is born in December. Do the math...more than 5 months. Maybe you should look up info before making wagers.

19. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So how much are you up? :D Perhaps it'll help offset the price increase for the 2010 season.

20. Drexel10

Drexel10 New Member

Mar 7, 2008

You have to be joking? You are going to decipher between 5 or 7 months apart. LOL! I have nothing else to debate with you!

21. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Players to protect: Brennan, Serioux, Gomez, Attakora, De Guzman, De Rosario, Frei, Barrett, White, Guevara, Wynne.

22. kaos1970

kaos1970 Member

May 2, 2008
    Halifax
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Swap Guevara for Cronin and I'm in!

23. Chiqui Arce

Chiqui Arce New Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Haven't seen it anywhere, maybe old news but the Expansion draft is Wednesday November 25. Info came from an MLS scout in an email.

Related news, MLS has already ruled and informed TFC that Stefan Frei no longer a Gen A product, so not exempt. He will have to be protected.

24. TFCSoccerDad

TFCSoccerDad Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure that they could find a couple hundred guys making a hell of a lot less money who could hit the cross bar or put it 6 inches wide of the net every freakin time on free kicks or kick the corners right over the box. If I have to watch Guevara wince one more time after "just missing" one, I swear I'm going to snap. That said, Honduras will be a frontrunner in the World Cup of Horseshoes or Hand Grenades in 2010. He does make some spectacular kicks, but for ever one good one there are about 25 "close calls".

25. Don'ttreadonme

Don'ttreadonme New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I wouldn't protect Wynne. His stock has fallen following his rookie season in New York.

Remember when there was European interest...that's gone...

Remember when he suited with the US nats....He was abysmal and hasn't been called back....

Remember when he was one of TFC's most exciting and promising defenders....well, after watching him stumble over the ball and hit countless crosses into defenders legs it's time he goes..

He needs to go before his stock falls so far no one will take him off our hands.