To people who'd leave the Crew to support Cleveland

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Eggy, Oct 4, 2003.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You are a booby and a booby belongs in the booby hatch.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several new things about that piece, first among them being that Wolstein has gone on record about the deal. First time he's been quoted on the subject. He's been stiff arming Bergin (and others) for months. For him to grant an interview to the PD and put all this on record is a step forward for sure.

HOWEVER: this is also the first time "downtown" has been mentioned. Bath township, Warrensville Hieghts and a couple of other areas have been rumored previously. And "downtown" would seem to me to be a terrible place to put a soccer team up there.

I guess if he really does get to spend a whopping $125 million on a stadium it would really be nice. That's a hell of a lot of money. Lots more than other similar projects.

It's also the first time that anybody has mentioned public money. Previously, it's been said he would foot the bill himself. (But that was before either Cleveland or $125mm were mentioned)

I can't see where St Iggy's football does much for the proposal; they sure don't have much money to toss into the pot, and asking for public money to build a football field for a private Catholic High School would seem to be a loser.

The economy is on the rise; best quarter since 1999, all economic indicators are on the come (although Dan Rather won't mention it for fear it might help GWB) BUT: Cleveland is a basket case. The rising tide isn't likely to bail them out of their financial problems. So selling the public on taxpayer money going into the deal anytime soon, particularly with the current ditsy blonde populist idiotarian Mayor, just seems highly unlikely.

This is a city which takes Dennis Kucinich seriously. Hell, they send him to Congress. His constituency is Stupid, Eat-the-rich, "The Government owes me money" mouthbreathers. Does he strike you as a soccer guy?

If this is the plan, then I'm not holding my breath.

4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That whole article runs counter to every "confirmed rumor" (for lack of a better term) I've heard about Cleveland. This stuff makes my head hurt.

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    This fits with the desire of bigger cities to add downtown amenities to potentially attract downtown residency. It would be a great place for concerts etc. and already comes with the Jake's parking and traffic infrastructure. If cities don't force the conversion of some of these junky downtown parking lots, they will be in even bigger trouble in 5 years. The hole in the development doughnut is already looking cancerous.

Columbus is working a new baseball stadium into it's plans.