To be honest

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Feb 2, 2008.

1. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRST: THANK YOU ROBB FOR INVOLVING US!

SECOND: I would like to see more of the Wizards getting out farther than the KC Metro area...I live 2 1/2 hours away and I am now a season ticket holder and will be driving to al the games but...we dont see any MLS teams in this area promoting or otherwise. I have taken several people to games that are soccer fans that had no idea that the MLS was even around here or that could even go to a game. There is a huge chance for the Wizards to get let other areas know that not only they are close but the MLS is around here and that they want "others" to get involved not just the KC Metro area. The stadium controversy has even hit this area. Why not? Well there are many reasons to list but some are because the local media doesnt know or wont say anything about it because it supposedly doesnt involve this area...WRONG! It does involve this area and many other areas! There will be jobs created by this and many, many other reasons i could go on and on about but i wont beause we all know them...what I am trying to get at is...GET OUT AND ABOUT!. we used to see the Royals and the Chefs (mispelled on purpose), come here all the time for autograph signings, talk ot the local teams and etc...why not do that? You would have sooo many more fans come out of the woodworks than you would know...KC has a huge fan base all over the state and in this area...The people around here just are not informed of the Wizards. Soccer here is growing like crazy...i have been playing/caoching and watching soccer here since the early 70's and have seen our highschoool in 1987 install a soccer program and now have lights on the field...and i could go on and on but the point is again..get out of just the KC Metro area and see the rest of us...
    also...I know there has been talk about the radio shows (jimmy's) and such...why not get it where more people can hear his show...or see the games...

I guess i keep going back to the same and should quit rambling but the Wizards need to get out more...Jack Jewsbury( born in Joplin and raised in Springfield) is practically a home town boy here and gets no mention of it or we dont see anything about him...We do however get to hear about Jamie McMurray(from Joplin) and Carl Edwards (springfield), thats all good but there are alot of people around here that would like to see some soccer stars like Jewsbury and Conrad.

ok i will stop rambling and let my post get torn apart...

p.s. you are welcome for not using the ALL-CAPS :rolleyes:

4. patodonnell39

patodonnell39 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Robb,

I think you guys are definately on the right track. Getting into the mainstream media, as people have said, has to be high on the list of priorities. Here in town, it's the Star, and the local stations (TV and Radio). The Star has had some great articles, so keep doing that. But the radio is still lacking. I know it's hard to break into Chiefs and Royals airtime, but these guys are talking about hunting, NASCAR, cooking, and fishing, so I know you can take that time. Eddie Johnson in the mornings on 810 was awesome, so maybe try to get guys in more segments throughout the week leading up to games. I know you're trying to do it now, but, like I said, you're on the right track so keep it up. And on a side note, the Hillcrest Blog is the best idea yet. Promote it in TV/Radio segments, etc.

My 2nd comment has already been said, and yes, it's about Dora the Explorer. I understand that this kind of marketing is necessary to try to build a fan base. Just don't make it a main priority. It's hard enough for the Wizards to be taken seriously. Having cartoons characters at the game like it was the opening of a Disney store isn't helping.

Last, the new unis, from what I've seen, are awesome. Except for the patch. It's too plain, and looks like it was done in Microsoft Paint. With a new team, a new stadium coming, new unis, new owners, we need a professional looking brand identity. You got rid of the rainbow, which was way overdue. Now it's time to take the next step. Toronto, Chivas USA, and Houston have great patches.

All of these points basically say that our brand needs to keep improving and getting more professional. People need to believe that this is a first rate franchise for them to get behind a soccer team in a football town. Now is the time. The Chiefs suck, the Royals aren't far behind. People are looking for something in this town, and the Wizards are in prime position to be that team.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? If the game is REALLY sold out, then I would think that should be the absolute top priority of the Wizards PR department..

Even with a reduced capacity, this game is still sold out TWO MONTHS IN ADVANCE.. That's newsworthy. Having something at the game that takes away from the soccer experience - and let's be honest here, that's exactly what this is doing - is not.

Let the game do that. Not extraneous promotions that cheapen the product that you are trying to present and continue to reinforce the "minor-league" feel that we are all trying to combat.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    OK, so Dora and Scoobs are going to be there to help with the family atmosphere. Its great I am sure it helps with the families ability to make it an afternoon and evening of fun. The game will be sold out so this family entertainment option will be on display for one of the largest crowds of the year. That is a good thing. That helps to bring em back again.

What happens at the next game if they comeback when Dora and Scoobs are gone? Disappointment. I doubt that happens though. Their will most likely be another promotion and if this is a sustained approach to this demograph probably will week in and out. Fine, most of us around here would not like to see that.

The answer is don't let us see that. Keep a silly little promotion limited to the a space where it will have the most impact. A kid-zone as in the past. The problem I had with it (low on my list of complaints) is that I had to go through it to get to the game. It felt like I was on the playground. On the far end great live music was played all the time though it always felt "over there". So my experience with FO nongame attractions was with great haste to leave it behind.

I think the live bands would have done better in the parking lots. Lord knows there was enough space out in the lots to have a stage out their. It would start the emersion of game day the minute people stepped out of their cars. Probably would have been better to have those bands going as the game let out.

I guess in a nutshell is I feel as if the marketing isn't geared to me. I feel like the people that are being sought after definetly wasn't me. I know that not too be true. My attraction is the game and the tailgate. But that isn't what I saw coming into the game.

7. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more comment from me about Dora and gang, though I'll try to make it useful.

I think the key is to seem as legitimate as you can be, even if you aren't that legitimate yet. Succumbing to too many gimmicks makes us look minor league when we already struggle to gain respect and are perceived as a game and team that is for kids.

With a tag line of "The World's Game, Kansas City's Team," which I think is excellent, we need to be providing an atmosphere that focuses on excellence on the field, tradition, player personalities, etc. The Chiefs would never have a Dora day and the Wizards doing so makes them look desperate.

I'm pragmatic about the fact that it will take a variety of demographics to make the team successful, but I think it is naive to try to appeal to each of them in different ways. It is a soccer team, not a promoter of a vast variety of gimmicks for all age groups. It would become a festival of whoring out the Wizards reputation, traditional and honor to whatever trendy thing the team can do to get an artificial bump for one game. Know, however, that such bumps don't come for free. The value of the Wizards brand is undermined.

8. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It's one thing to fill the seats a couple of times, but if you want to win people over, you're going to have to be seen as professional and legitimate all the time. I understand that you need seat revenue, but in the long run, Dora and Scooby aren't going to fill seats. One or two games? Sure. 5-10 years? No way.

9. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Be Honest- When I heard about Scooby and Dora I just pictured Mascot Keg Stands, I know I can't be alone

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Robb-
    Unfortunately many people on these boards don't care to acknowledge what you are pointing out. Many of them are simply to blinded by their own enthusiast fandom. Others have the "soccer inferiority complex" where anything that isn't hard-core soccer, 100% pro-soccer or traditional soccer ideas gets ridiculed harshly. The same arguement in my mind as those that can't understand why a $5-10 ticket is a bad thing.

I think pepole need to realize you run a business, and even though we all want the same goals you must also accept that there are not 15,000 people like those on these boards in Kansas City. And until there are creative and far reaching advertising ideas will be needed.

Keep up the good work!

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Dora doing a keg stand would be classic. WAY better than Twinky the Kid.

12. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarification on Opener Tickets

I got a few questions about ticket availability for the opener (including a very panicked phone call or two), even after Robb's clarifying post, so here's the breakdown:

With a few limited exceptions (suites, selected groups), to buy a ticket for this game, you will need to buy a multiple-game package, be it:

• Full season (18 games)
    • Half season (10 games, including the opener)
    • 5-game package (Bleacher section; includes bleacher packs--can be amended for Cauldron tickets)

Another package or two may be added shortly, particularly for the Cauldron, but those are the packages as they stand. Single game tickets for most games are currently scheduled to go on public sale March 1...the opener will not be among them. Between the increase in season tickets and the groups committed for that night, the availability just isn't there.

13. toritoritorrence

toritoritorrence New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    the LX
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Clarification on Opener Tickets

i thought the end of the world was upon us, seriously. my phone call was definitely more than panicked.

it's good to know i still have time to get my skrilla together to get my season tickets.

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the one hand, fans are encouraged to bring along friends to increase sales. Then we are hit with promotions like this. We then have to defend these promotions to our friends.

My 12 year old daughter groaned when she heard they were gonna be there.

Let's get our team and players name recognition and not pander to this kind of marketing. It's embarrassing.

15. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Clarification on Opener Tickets

I should note that if you're getting full season tickets, and you want the nicer ticket stock and printed ID card, you should buy them before the 22nd.

16. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In their defense, the Royals run these juvenile promotions sometimes as well (Build a Bear comes to mind), and adults still go to their games and think nothing of it. Unfortunately soccer doesn't get that kind of slack; there is a certain stereotype this can only reinforce. If OG feel they can overcome that in due time then fine by me, as long as they see both sides of the bargain.

17. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you said this first. I was just looking at the Royal's site to see if I could find a good(bad) example. I think most sports have these promotions with the possible exception of the NFL.

18. Goalieo

Goalieo Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twinky did do a hell of a keg stand. I emailed Sam the pics to prove it. "The Mascot Keg Stand Challenge" would be an event we could all get behind.

19. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun for the whole family!

20. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget Dora, let's get Maraka instead.

21. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Great point.

I was in Houston last season and stopped into a McDonalds (yeah, I know), and all their paper placemats featured the Dynamo. Very visually impressive.

23. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont understand why anyone has a problem with Dora and other mascot-like characters being at the game.

Will it add to the atmosphere and excite some kids? Yes

Will it make anyone not want to come to games in the future? No

So no damage is being done and some fun stuff is being added for the kids. Who cares. You arent being forced to play with the mascots.

24. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the mascots and the playground area at CAB will keep some of the kids occupied rather than blowing those damn horns at inappropriate times. :D Most of the kids I see don't really watch the game anyway.

25. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK OK LETS STOP TALKING ABOUT FRIGGIN MASCOTS ALREADY AND GET BACK TO TOPIC!!! WE ALL GET THE IDEA THAT MOST DONT LIKE THE MASCOTS BEING THERE...THEY ARENT FOR YOUBUT FOR THE OTHERS THAT COME..SOCCER IS A SPORT PLAYED AND ENJOYED BY ALL..SO LET IT GO!!!:rolleyes: