To ASG Haters

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by gosya, Jul 31, 2008.

1. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    To those who dislike the All-Star Game and want scrap to scrap the event:

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/gi...umns-0/1217307429274070.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

TUNING IN

While All-Star games in other sports have turned into boring exhibitions with dwindling ratings and fan interest, MLS' midseason classic is gaining in both areas.

According to The Sports Business Daily, last week's 3-2 victory over West Ham was seen by the most combined viewers in the league's All-Star Game history.

ESPN's numbers were a 0.47 rating and 453,000 households while Telefutura claimed a 0.37 rating and 389,000 households. The combined 842,000 households were a 124 percent increase from 2007.

According to MLS, the combined ratings for the game were the highest ever, topping the 0.74 and 806,000 households the 2004 game received on ABC.

Sure, ASG is not competition in its true form, etc, etc. But, the bottom line is it fills up the stadium, and according to this, a lot of people watch on TV. My view on this - MLS can't shy away from any (good) publicity. If there's an event that makes people tune in to MLS, MLS should keep it and promote it.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I look at the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments alot of posters exhibit when they talk about the ASG and Superliga, I suspect that alot of soccer fans have forgotten that the point of watching sports is to have fun. Because the vast majority of the teeth-gnashers and garment-renderers don't say the games aren't fun to watch. The games are "meaningless."

Um, dude, they're all meaningless. Nobody is out there curing cancer.

Anyway, thanks for the info and the thread. Long may the all-star game live!!!!!

3. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I secretly watched the ASG, and surprised myself by enjoying it.

I now need glasses however, and that really sucks.

4. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the All Star Game. *shrugs* To each their own though.

5. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the greatest line in BigSoccer history. All hail SuperDave.

6. EdsonArantes

EdsonArantes Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Barra Brava
    I think something we have to realize is, as hard as it seems...Bigsoccer is not the norm. While we are the folks that dissect and debate attendance and field surfaces and how meaningful the all star game is, sometimes its easy to forget that the people on this message board are not the majority. There are probably lots of people out there who just want to watch an interesting soccer game, without reading between the lines and analyzing every throw in.

Its soccer on tv...I got no problem with it.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to get to the Politics Forum. That's not even in SD's top 50.

8. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. To each their own.

But this is coming from one of the 5 people on that forum that's to the right of Karl Marx. :p

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't mind SL or ASG as long as DCU or DCU players are not involved :D

10. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    The game was watched by 260,000 people in Canada. That means more Canadians per capita watched it than Americans. Of course the fact that it took place in Canada probably helped the number out. Plus it was available on a free to air network (CBC). That's a fairly decent number for a sporting event in Canada.

That number is also higher than any published rating for any TFC game this season.

Overall its a great way to promote the league in both countries. Don't know why anyone would be against the game in prinicipal.

11. broder

broder Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Mission
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys don't waste ANY opportunity to pat yourselves on your back, do you?

12. narduch

narduch New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Really wasn't trying to do that. Simply provide info.

I also added a few qualifiers. But why not bitch anyway?

13. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    People like Broder don't waste ANY opportunity to try to turn each thread into a TFC slagfest.

As you said, he completely ignored the rest of your post and only focused on the one part where he could try to twist your words as self-aggrandizing.

14. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that patting ourselves on the back. Give it a rest.