to all those who thought I was smoking crack...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by appoo, Sep 2, 2002.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/pedro_pinto/news/2002/08/27/young_stars/

I TOLD YOU SO!!!! :)

Once upon a time I made the statement that at the age of 20 that Landon was one of the top 15 talents around.

Pedro Pinto is also a known euro snob who predicted a 3 and out for us during the World Cup. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...ok gloating over (my apologies to the big soccer people who don't want to be in another stupid discussion about Landon, but hey if you were in my position you'd bring this up to wouldn't you??)

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well keep in mind he didn't say he was one of the top 15 talents in the world. he said he was one of 10 kids under 21 that could be something special.
    huge difference.

that said, landon will one day assume his rightful place as the greatest player who ever walked the earth (and by that I mean better than Pele and Maradona COMBINED!!!!!) landon kicks so much ass it ain't even funny.

4. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    Who's this Landon character?

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not playing for the quakes he won't.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he might for the USMNT

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he won't. Maybe in your eyes, but not the rest of the world. Seriously, we are talking, Pele, Maradona, Zidane.

No player is ever going to be given that title without winning at least 2 World Cups, the Champions League multiple times, and mutliple domestic titles in one of the big 4 leagues. That is the benchmark in this day and age.

Keep dreaming, my friend.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let's see -

You said Landon was a top 10-15 talent, all players in the world considered. We said, no. He's a great young player, probably in the top 10-15 among hot young prospects, but you can't even put him in the top 100 when you consider actual grownups. You laughed.

So now this guy writes tht Landon is among the top 10-15 of kids under 21 of age and you say that vindicates you.

Yep, you're on crack.

9. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    You realize, Ringo, that Donovan will be surpassed by Freddy Adu in short order, don't you? ;)

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Querry -- how many Champions Cup titles did Pele win? Maradona?

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, yes but I think that goes without saying.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    ahhhh Big Soccer frippery at its best (started by me)...I love it

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its today's benchmark.

You want to call LD the best of all time? Well, he better do a bit more than nutmeg a German at the WC and win some MLS titles.

I could careless if he goes to Europe or not, but don't try and tell me he is the best of all time until he dominates against the worlds best week in and week out for at least 5 seasons. Sorry, but he will never be called the best of all time playing his entire career in the MLS. It simply isn't going to happen.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Someone said he was the best of all time? man I thought I was going out on a limb...

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Pele had the good sense to appreciate that a soccer player must prove his worth in America to be considered a truly great player. I'll take Zidane and Kahn seriously when they prove week in and week out they can do it in the USA.

Not that I think Donovan is one of the best at this time.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    If you have to win two WCs, then you may as well just limit the discussion to Brazilians.

17. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Forget a smilely?

Its about proving your the best, while playing against the best.

18. bocatuna

bocatuna New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    England
    Somebody should point out that compared to Pele and Maradona, Donavan is a mediocre player.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was just a question that you failed to answer. I was not claiming any of that nonsense -- at least not at this point in time.

But why is it important for LD to win a Champions League title but not for Maradona (if he did not in fact do so)?

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was attempting to illustrate that LD, or anyone who wants to be known as the best of all time, needs to develop a resume which is universally recognized throughout the world as the pinnacle of achievement in the game of football. I think winning the CL is a mark of that pinnacle, but is by no means the only mark. I believe success on the European stage is essential, however.

As far as Maradona not needing to win the CL and LD needing to, I think that for a player from the US, or any non traditional football playing nation, the measure of their achievement is going to need to be much higher than someone from Brazil or Argentina. There is far more credibilty given a player from those countries.

Like I said, I was just throwing out what I believe someone in todays game would need to achieve to be considered the greatest of all time. (It was said before the WC that Zidane needed to win a second WC to get into that conversation). We can argue what exactly would be required, however, I don't think it is much of an arguement that a player who plays their entire career in the MLS could never be considered the best of all time. I also think you would be hard pressed to convince most people that the best American of all time is one who plays his entire career in the MLS, but that is just my opinion.

21. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Wow, I've always thought that Lizarazu was just a really good player. Now I find out he's perhaps one of the all-time greatest.

This I know because he's won the World Cup, Euro2000, the Champions League, and the Bundesliga. And to think, I just thought he was a really good player on outstanding teams.

22. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    Wow, some pretty crazy opinions here. Some of you need to get on crack.

23. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    The fact that Pedro Pinto is working for CNNSI, an AMERICAN website that, oh...i don't know....is read by AMERICANS!!!!...it doesn't surprise me that he thinks Donavon is one to watch.

So if you think that its something special...hey, dude...celebrate and enjoy the crack!!!

p.s. Let's take a look at some grand titles of the greatest players to play the "beautiful game" (a short list here, simply because each country in the world would dispute who would make that cut). It helps to shorten thier honors to what they are really remembered for.

Maradona-1986 World Cup, 1986-87 Scudetto, 1989-90 Scudetto, 1988-89 Eufa cup, 1979 Youth World Cup

Pele- 1958 World Cup, 1962 World Cup (although injured through most of it), 1970 World Cup...so many Brazilian titles and honours that it would be too cumbersome to mention here!

Di Stefano - 1955/56-1959/60 UEFA Champions Cup, loads of Spanish League titles, Copa Del Reys, etc. etc.

Cruyff - 1970/71-1972/73 UEFA Champions Cup, league and cup titles with Ajax and Barcelona.

-----------------------------------------

Given these "legends" honours...realistically people, Landon isn't going to get close at all...

But he does have a strong chance of being the best the U.S. has ever seen...

Maradona, Pele, DiStefano, and Cruyff...players that completely outclassed the best of the rest that stood on the field...

...good luck Landon... you and every other player in the world needs it!!! (mabe not Zidane and a few others)...

24. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Landon has an MLS Cup, which is the greatest trophy in world soccer.

25. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    If your going to chew gum in class you have to bring some for everyone.