Tmq??

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by LeperKhan, Oct 21, 2003.

1. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Was anyone else a fan of Gregg Easterbrook's Tuesday Morning Quarterback column on espn.com? I've been reading it every week for the last couple of years, but today I went to check it out and there was a note saying it would no longer appear on espn - no further explanation given.

Anyone know what the deal is? (Does anyone else care?)

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Easterbrook made disparaging remarks about Jews on his blog.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link please?

(to his blog - I've already perused P2)

4. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yeah, I care, it was a great read. Too bad its gone, any further explanation as to why its gone?

5. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the offending passage :

Corporate sidelight: Kill Bill is distributed by Miramax, a Disney studio. Disney seeks profit by wallowing in gore--Kill Bill opens with an entire family being graphically slaughtered for the personal amusement of the killers--and by depicting violence and murder as pleasurable sport. Disney's Miramax has been behind a significant share of Hollywood's recent violence-glorifying junk, including Scream, whose thesis was that murdering your friends and teachers is a fun way for high-school kids to get back at anyone who teases them. Scream was the favorite movie of the Columbine killers.

Set aside what it says about Hollywood that today even Disney thinks what the public needs is ever-more-graphic depictions of killing the innocent as cool amusement. Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haiku

T-M-Q is dead.
    What the hell do we do?
    E-S-P-N sucks.

7. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm not Jewish, so I don't know how hard that hits. I see a bit wrong but not enough to get dropped from ESPN Page 2. Anyone of the Jewish faith more offended than I am as a non-religious reader?

8. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I agree that it's an offensive depiction of Jews, and if he were fired soley for that, while I'd say it might be a little harsh, in the end I'd be fine with it. 2 questions/thoughts, though:

Was he perhaps treated more harshly than he otherwise would have been with this coming fairly quickly on the heels of the Rush Limbaugh thing?

Was he perhaps treated more harshly than he otherwise would have been due to the fact that Michael Eisner, as head of Disney, was unltimately his boss at ESPN and didn't like being personally disparaged?

9. isaac101

isaac101 New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Bethesda, MD
    Okay, here are most of the relevant links to this whole situation.

Here is the link to his original blog item that criticizes Kill Bill. The passage in question is at the very end:
    http://www.tnr.com/easterbrook.mhtml?pid=844

A few days later, Easterbrook apologizes. Scroll down to the item dated 10.16:
    http://www.tnr.com/easterbrook.mhtml

But the ADL doesn't think the apology is good enough:
    http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=120-10172003

And then Disney and ESPN (who are of course headed by Michael Eisner) decide to let Easterbrook go. The whole situation is described here:
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2090091/

I loved Easterbrook's stuff too. I've been reading TMQ since it was on Slate, and was shocked to find it had been taken off Page 2.

10. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the ADL read his entire apology? Easterbrook says this: "Accuse a Jewish person of this and you invoke a thousand years of stereotypes about that which Jews have specific historical reasons to fear. What I wrote here was simply wrong, and for being wrong, I apologize."

Yet the ADL claims, "Sadly, instead of making a clear apology and a rejection of anti-Semitic stereotypes, Mr. Easterbrook says he 'wrote poorly' and was misunderstood."

Funny, it looks to me exactly like Easterbrook made a clear apology rejecting an anti-Semitic stereotype.

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    With Easterbrook's firing and Sports Guy writing fewer columns because of his Jimmy Kimmel commitments, I'm find fewer and fewer reasons to check out ESPN.com.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    This post is a perfect example of why I think groups like the ADL and ACLU hurt, not help, the cause of the groups they claim to support. They bitch and moan about the words or actions of others, but when they get exactly what they want they refuse to accept it. Its as though they are so accustomed to being persecuted that when their demands are met they don't know how to handle it.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    TMQ criticized Michael Eisner and Disney. Guess who owns ESPN.

Actually I also find his column entertaining. even though I don't agree with statistical-driven point of view about football. He also pissed off Orange Nation when he claimed that Syracuse has never graduated a black basketball player over the past decade. a complete fallacy. He tends to make many people mad.