TMI - Too Much Information

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ej_dad, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Not to slight you at all 3rd Degree, but when I look for information on the web about our weekly oposition, I can never find as much detailed information as I can find on the Burn at 3rd Degree's site or on the forum here at BigSoccer.

Go look at this weeks Crew posting. It has very little to do with the upcoming game. Most other teams postings are bravado predictions with very little fact or analysis.

Are we giving our oposition 'Too Much Information'?

I've wondered about this for a long time, not just this game. The Crew forum just reminded me of this 'in spades'.

2. Buzahn

Buzahn New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    TMI

You're probably right because I believe Coach Bob Bradley once said he always goes to 3rd degree when he's playing to Burn to get the latest dirt.

On the other hand, it just shows how lame the MLS coverage is in most cities.

Ed

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first thing Jeffries said to me when he came here was to ask me not to post the lineup.
    As Ed just told us, Jeffries told me that in Chicago they would get the Dallas lineup from 3rd Degree.
    I used to point blank post it and say "here is the lineup"

To that end I quit posting the straight lineup, which I always got on Friday. Instead I would put up info on what formations and players groups I saw in practice. I knew that if you had a good eye you could pick the 'real' lineup out of that info, which is all I ever did anyway. I also stopped going as much on Friday, and started going earlier in the week when the lineup was less set.

Now I have even quit doing that. I post a Game Preview, where I take a shot at a probable lineup. I also ask Jeffries questions straight out. That info I post in Practice Observations. Jeffries knows that info goes in there, and if he wants to keep something out he will not answer the question. A good example is this week's stuff on the midfield. I asked, he answered... he knew full well it would get reported.

You could be right. It may be "too much information." It is a fair question.

I consider it my 'job' to pass along info from the team, staff, and my observations to the fans.
    I happen to think the value to the fans out weighs any harm that could be done.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Re: TMI - Too Much Information

I don't know how many professional teams have closed practices, but it does still happen.

But there is a trade off, especially when you consider the 'postion' of MLS as being the fifth major. And the Burn need organized exposure, which 3rd delivers, and it results in fans being 'kept abreast' of information that is necessary to keep interest.

There's more danger in alienating fans by limiting information and repressing the press. The Burn are VERY lucky to have an independent information source that acts as a promotional AND statistical vehicle for the team.

Now if this was a muti-billion dollar league and number one sport...

5. Valerie Simmons

Sep 2, 2000
    Burkburnett, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way you do the practice observations because it helps me not only understand how the team plays, but also is a learning experience on the game - different drills, formations, how to improve strenghts, etc. It's good for those of us who love the game, but don't get to play at the kind of level that would teach us by doing.

I think all the MLS, PDL, etc teams would benefit by doing such a site; other fan supporter groups should be doing the same thing for their own fan base if the offices don't have the resources. It makes the players seem more like real people, instead of just a name on the field.

I really liked to hear about the increased communication discussions between our veterans and younger players. That seems to be part of what we've been missing for a while. It helps cut down on some of the curiorsity of what is being done by the players to work with each other as a team.

3rd degree is just an all around good site, and an example to be followed by others in creating their own.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might help the other teams a little bit but do you really think if someone was giving this info on SJ they would have our record? I have also thought about the possibility for disinformation, wait for a really important game and then post a lineup that is vastly incorrect and see if the other team does some wierd adjustments in anticipation. After that they would never know if this is one of the few times Buzz is going to trick them and they can never really trust the info again.

7. ej_dad

ej_dad New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Flower Mound, TX
    Whining to the Choir

Thinking about it a little longer, I'm whining to the choir.

I really love the information that 3rd Degree gives us. Acutually, its the first site I hit when I get to work. (Don't tell my boss)

But I can't find the same information on the other teams. No practice reports, no injury reports.

Buzz & Tobias got more information out of AnDRULEs on the radio show about McBride's injury than I ever found anywhere else on the web.

I'm spoiled with all the information we get about the Burn from 3rd Degree and Tobias.

Too bad the rest of the leauge doesn't have anything close to them!!!!!!!!!!!!