TIX e-mail with Garber Signature

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by DotMPP, Dec 18, 2005.

1. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the text of this link in an e-mail yesterday:

Week excuse for missing SJE web page

And replied with this:

I think I'll be mostly reading on these boards for a while...

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The situation in Houston is better financially. That's all you need to know. Don't worry about the specifics.

3. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your saying they will be losing less money in Huston that in S.J. I'll buy that.
    Will their attendence numbers rise in the next two or three years at the same rate the 'Quakes were the previous three? Not unless their third year is in an SSS.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I would be willing to bet that Houston will average more than the Quakes did this past year. In fact, they should probably do better than every Quakes year except for 1996.

5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Oh '96. You mean our inaugural year. When there's money spent on promotion, a lot of curiosity in the market and the novelty factor. Yeah everybody's first year is good.

But Houston will have sat out the lean years. Actually, San Jose did it for them. Things are looking much better for the league now.

Don't forget Houston will come in with a World Cup bounce. And an owner with something to prove, too.

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bookmarked. Good luck with AEG, sucker.

7. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee really? You really know how to go out there on a limb buddy.

Lee

8. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it's not the exactly the firm of Deloite and Touche that's going to tally up the ticket sales.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't know that at all. What's it going to cost to rent the stadium there? How much revenue share will the team get? What's their break even attendance number?

Mind you, I don't begrudge Houston a team. They are a big city, the have good MLS TV numbers, and I don't think the sports market is quite so crowded as in the Bay Area. (Though I could be wrong about that.)

But the bottom line here is that AEG is starting over in a new city with no local owners lined up and no stadium solution in sight. Maybe they have some deals cooking that we don't know about yet, but they've all but killed any chance to have a team in the Bay Area. This is not a good move for MLS. They should have put an expansion team in Houston and worked out the details in San Jose. (Something AEG has only tried once.)

As for attendance, let's compare Houston's first season with RSL's first season. That's really a better barometer. Also, let's see where the Houston club is four or five years down the line. And just who is going to build that SSS for them?

If you expect Quakes fans to keep being MLS fans, you're nuts.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

10. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    California - Central Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    You could be right. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if AEG pulls all kinds of shenanigans to make things look good. After all, that's been their MO in LA-LA-Land.

BTW, when I went to the MLS Cup in Frisco, the people around me were there with free tickets, had never been to a soccer game and some left at half-time because they were bored. All is not as rosy as MLS/AEG leads people to believe.

11. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    More like Arthur Andersen!

12. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    Did you notice what Gerber man said in that letter ?

Quote[ To be successful, all teams in professional sports need appropriate facilities and committed local owners. ]

Did our Earthquakes need to have all this in this past season in order to have the type of SUCCESSFUL SEASON that they had ?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

13. Bailamos

Bailamos New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    He might be refering to being successful off the field. as a business.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Why would they move if it's not beneficial to them? It may not be a good move for the Bay Area, but it is a good move for MLS. The Quakes were mismanaged for ten years, and starting fresh would probably be the best thing for the market. 13,000 despite two championships is bad, even including the mismanagement. Other teams who draw poorly either have stadiums or are in that process. So if you're in the same situation, and you have a team that draws poorly, Houston probably couldn't do worse at the very least.

Of course, a stadium would cure everything. MLS teams need stadiums. If KC doesn't get one, then they'll move too. If the stadium deal works out, then everything will be fine.

Houston has the following things going for it:

1-bigger market
    2-better tv ratings
    3-better soccer coverage and acceptance
    4-and, from the press in the past few days, it looks like they will be going after a Frisco-style deal with a local school district. SJ couldn't do that.

15. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN

Wow ! ! ! I'm very impressed good luck to them :rolleyes:

16. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Add one more thing Houston has "going for it": the SAME mismanagement that it had here in San Jose for the past 4 years! See how the team is doing in four years when the honeymoon is over and if there is a SSS built by then.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well duh! The team now has ownership committed to making the team a success. :rolleyes:

18. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does this make any sense? :confused:

The same bozo's that mismanaged the 'Quakes will be mismanaging Huston!

And if you tell me they're going to try harder than you'll just be proving the exact point that San Jose fans have been chided on by various expert BS Trolls since AEG first played the Club America card!

(Now if you meant that San Jose (the city) has been mismanaged for the last 10 years, you might have a point, but I'd rather take the word of a local about how well the city of Huston will be doing, than a Fire troll)

Starting fresh is the best thing for any market!

And I agree with Mark, lets compare Huston to RSL.

19. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    The Houston office at that.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong! With that much mismanagement, relocation rumors, etc., 13,000 is damn impressive, regardless if the team has two championships in a sport that isn't even #5 in mainstream America!

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scaryice, you are acting like moving a team happens on paper. For all the supposed benefits of Houston over San Jose, why does a team need to be moved in order to receive those benefits? Why couldn't an expansion team have been put there instead? That creates positives without inflicting real damage on the league. You say this is good for MLS, but overall this move is bad when you take into account the damage it has done to the fanbase. You also seem to be very defensive about this damage, chastizing people who are angry as if they are the problem! This is what it looks like to move a team. Face reality.

Also, you characterize the San Jose and Houston situations as if they exist inately without any other parameters such as the actions of the ownership group. Every criticism you have of the San Jose market is really a criticism of AEG's presence in the San Jose market. So why don't you criticize AEG for not stepping up? Why do you assume that this is just the way San Jose is, with or without AEG? AEG's presence greatly impacted the way things played out in San Jose.

Moving the Quakes to Houston has little to do with strengthening MLS and everything to do with strengthening AEG's non-soccer-related business. AEG wants to be in Houston. They don't want a soccer team in Houston. They want access to the Houston market for all their extraneous business dealings. MLS and the Quakes were used as leverage for that. That is slimey. What is good for the league is a strong presence in the Bay Area. AEG did not contribute toward that end as it was not financially lucrative to their overall business (non-soccer-related business). An owner interested in the soccer team would have done MUCH more to create a successful environment.

- Paul