Tino and Benny go to camp

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I've been posting on the USMNT board about my looking in on the Nats training at Nike in my town but I thought i'd say something more DCU specific here. Also Red & Black will meet me tomorrow at practice and maybe we can post diametrically opposed views of what we think we saw!

Anyways, I've been to two practices so far (Wednesday and today (Friday) and I'll say that both of our favorite sons have acquitted themselves very well. Tino has been used strictly as a forward and IMO he's been as dangerous as any of the other forwards (Casey, Wolff, Noonan, sometimes Donovan). Noonan's been possibly slowed by an ankle hurt but otherwise, Tino's versatility has been on full display. He has hit the crossbar on several occasions though. However he's been very mobile, his speed of thought is at least as good as anyone else's... well you know I like him but still...

Benny has also played well but it's harder for him to shine as he's playing a central mid role on a team that also has LD, Mastroeni, Armas, JOB, and Dempsey. Serious competition. Still it looks like he fits even though all of them (even Armas) look real good. Benny has played a little right wing too and on this team he's probably #2 on that depth chart behind Ralston. (He or Hedjuk who's #2 also at left and right backs.) Benny hasn't played fullback in case you were wondering. he's scored a couple of nice goals. If there's one word I'd use from his scrimmaging here it's 'solid". No errors.

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great report. Benhino is my favorite United player, glad to see Arena recognize him this way.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the report, Skip. Like many others, I hope this stint with the USMNT will help Tino to gain in confidence and really help him to continue improving, especially after missing so much time due to all of his injury problems.

Benny doesn't have the wheels to go a full 90 on the RW anymore, but he could give the USMNT some quality minutes there, and also be a force in the middle. With BA, versatility is the name of the game.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Just back from Saturday practice. I met Red&Black there and he introduced me to Tino and Benny. Great guys, all three.

My feelings about ouir players after seeing them this week?

-Tino has a future with the Nats, long term. He had a nice assist today. He is soooooooo excited about the call-up and he is totally motivated to become a Nats regular. I see no reason why that won't happen, though it remains to be seen if Arena likes him enough over some other forwards for Germany or if he has to wait till after 06.

- Benny was also good but I think he's on the wrong end of a very deep central midfield. If there were two Nats teams, he'd be a main player on the B team. His great personality was very apparent in the scrimmages.

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point about Ben being caught up in a deep midfield. Thought a couple of things may work in his favor: 1. Injuries. If one or two guys get an injury, (think Armas prior to WC02), Benny can fill in. 2. Character. You've mentioned this in your reports, and the team has been without the 'character guys' of the last decade - Earnie Stewart, and (I hate saying this) Cobi Jones. Ben could be an excellent late game sub in a big game to help finish off a game.

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

True. I must say however, that 1) Mastroeni exudes "leader" from every ounce of his being. His is truly the dominating presence on thsi team. 2) Now that JOB is healthy again, it seemed as if whatever team he was playing on looked to him for inspiration.

Maybe the three biggest personalities on the team are JOB, Mastroeni and Benny.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I know it's the DC board, Skip, but since Knave and rev are probably on a pre United match drinking binge could you post some comments on how O'Brien has been looking in camp?

He's one of my favorite players on our squad and I'm glad he's finally able to get on the pitch again.

Thanks.

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Johnny O is baaaack! Seriously, I saw nothing wrong with his movement. Red&Black watched him a bit and said, "classy". He doesn't seem to have lost a step either. Gets his job done efficiently and seemingly always finds the right option to pass too. He and Benny engaged in some good battles and JOB more than held his own. JOB is Benny X 2. Arena used him solely in the middle of the field- no left back or anything. Not sure why as the Nats only have Vanney @ left back (Hedjuk is the only backup to both Vanney and Dolo on the right.)

His hair ain't red now though. It's light brown! Go figure.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well I don't know if I can like him anymore then.

Good stuff though. He's one of the guys that can take this team to the next level and it's my feeling that we need him on the field in Germany to repeat our success from '02 much less progress from that tournament.

10. White Tigre Dad

White Tigre Dad New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Woodbridge
    US Soccer put out an ALL_ACCESS VIDEO with aTino in it. You can access it off of this link.

Scroll down to: ALL_ACCESS VIDEO - SEEING IS BELIEVING. Tino is only in it for a bit but its an interesting piece.

I'm not sure how long the video will be available as I believe they change them often.

11. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    very fun time watching the training and meeting Skip. as usual, his knowledges of the players and tactics really provided insight to the training and a great time watching the scrimmage on saturday. i have to say i was pretty fired up when the first thing after "hello" tino says to me is " huge match today, we gotta beat columbus". while i know he was thrilled to play with the US side, i love the fact he hadn't forgotten his club.

tino looked very good going forward in the scrimmage, combining with dempsey for a goal against keller. as skip mentioned, the mastronei was the organizer, talking almost non-stop through the match. benny too was very vocal, especially with this high-school kid who was filling in at left back on one of the sides and getting a rough introduction to the next level of the game with a certain PSV player running at him.

o'brien simply has feet with more sill that any player, he was pretty subtle, making the short, smart pass. dempsey was extremely impressive as well. the physical play betwen Casey and Gooch was classic.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Hey Rob- It was a pleasure meeting you and introducing me to Tino and Benny! The sooner I can get back east and into the Barra the better!

13. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Props to BA for giving EVERYONE a chance and I'm certain it will continue leading up to Germany, this Gold Cup roster was all about looking at who has potential and who might have something left.

14. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    We've got room. :)

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    You are always welcome at my place Skip when you are back east! I know tons of Barra members who use BS would love to meet you.