Timmay Too: The Chandler thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    To be fair, you are right! I used to get so mad when Yao Ming would dominate the All star votes in basketball.

2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of ratings did those guys use to give Jermaine Jones? Chandler is shaping up to be this cycle's JJ.

nbarbour repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has made some mistakes but some of the criticism is extreme and it isn't like I would put Yedlin at RB. Evans would be steady in the back but he isn't going to be found in the attacking third much. I guess you could move FJ to the right and put Beaz at LB. I won't throw a fit if he starts next game as I think it could come together for him. But, maybe I am wrong.

irish56 repped this.
  4. quitoamature

quitoamature Member

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    with beaz back on the team, play yedlin or johnson. Make timmy watch until he must play due to yellow cards or such. Then make him earn his spot this fall.

5. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    If Klinsi puts Yedlin in there for 90 minutes as a fullback he will get beat more than Chandler.

truefan420 repped this.
  6. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure were safe with either Yedlin or Evans vs Cuba :)

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can you explain what you mean by that? Cuz it doesn't make any sense to me.

OWN(yewu)ED, nancyb and aarond23 repped this.
  8. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones' ratings were laughably low for the longest time. Related to the same issue where our idiot commentators like Lalas and Twellman would harp on the mistakes of one player while ignoring most of the good and ignoring similar mistakes for other players. People should realize that announcers/sportswriters have no real special qualifications on rating players, have their own biases/pet players/grudges, etc. Grain of salt. But it's hard for the average person to block out the biased negativity that's so pervasive. You don't see it as much when watching MLS, Euro Leagues, Copa America, etc. You might get some homerism, but not the singling out of specific players so much. It's annoying and detracts from the game...and also shapes the perceptions of many that watch.

superdave and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  9. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a short period where JJ was seen as not living up to the hype, but it was way shorter than Chandler's which has been going on for years....

10. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it's less about living up to the hype and more about being unfairly singled out by announcers, and the cascading effect on public perception. Chandler hasn't been great, but his mistakes are singled out more than any other player.

nowherenova repped this.
  11. MKESoccer

MKESoccer Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might seem crazy, but would trying Chandler at CB be an option? He has decent size at 6'1 and with his speed it would be a nice change to see inside. It seems a lot of his issues are offensively speaking as he isn't a bad 1v1 defender. He is a talented player so I would hate to toss him aside (although JK never would) so just wondering what others think.

superdave repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh.

I thought he was talking about level of play which elicited a huge WTF from me.

Carry on.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You could make a very strong argument that Chandler hasn't even been average.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God no. He wouldn't make for a good CB. You'd be better off trying to use him as a RM in a 4-4-2. That way if he gets caught out of position it's less harmful and if he turns the ball over he it's less likely to lead to a dangerous transition. Tho to be fair our mid have been doing just that to our defense all tournament. He would provide a good cross and solid defensive duty on the wing.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Given all his turnovers (many of which are unforced) it doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me.

Mr Martin and nancyb repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the key point which JK himself points out

"Does he still make mistakes? Absolutely, like all of them do, but we’re working on that," Klinsmann said of Chandler. "He’s playing his role a bit differently for his club than he does with us. We want to go up a little bit more."

"When a defender goes up a little bit more, there’s a little bit more risk," Klinsmann added. "That risk also could be that you make some mistakes, give the ball away in a position where you shouldn’t give the ball away like DeAndre (Yedlin) has done here and there, and you might get caught, but I like to take that risk in certain moments because I want them to understand when they’re fully mature that you know exactly where you are and when to go and when not to go. If one side goes, the other one stays, and all of the technical aspects that we’re talking him through.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/588/...ing-chandler-keeps-fighting-through-national-

orcrist and truefan420 repped this.
  17. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considered one of the funnier members of the current national team by his teammates, Chandler has come out of his shell since being selected for the 2014 World Cup squad.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um what?

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Some comments from Ross Fadner of Soccer America on Chandler's Gold Cup so far:

But Alvarado is by no means the only U.S. defender who’s made mistakes. Right-back Timothy Chandler, who also played the first and third games, has been arguably worse. The 25-year-old is another player who at times shows real promise, but so far, the Gold Cup has not been memorable for him. Often, the Eintracht Frankfurt defender decides to bomb forward at the wrong times, leaving his defense exposed to counter-attacks. He’s also prone to mental lapses causing him to give the ball away cheaply and in dangerous positions, setting up yet more opportunities for opponents to counter.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/64706/klinsmann-and-the-elephant-in-the-room.html

20. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know whether I have a blind spot or not, but I honestly don't think Yedlin's defending has been bad in his RB appearances. Of course he's had sub-par games and has at times fallen asleep, but his 1v1 defending is underrated. I like Chandler, I think he's talented, but the guy falls asleep more than anyone and has constantly let back door runners get in on goal.

21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until today I hadn't read anything during this tournament about Timmy Chandler, nor have I been a close follower of this thread. So, I haven't been manipulated by the talking heads or BSers to think one thing or another. Nonetheless, he has most definitely stood out to me for his poor play--namely, his "ability" to get up the field and promptly and very dangerously pass the ball to the opponent. It's like Bornstein all over again, only maybe worse. Just like with Bornstein, every time now that Chandler makes a run up field with the ball my heart sinks into my stomach with dread of what horrible mistake he's going to make. He looks so uncomfortable getting up the field, but that's what ole' Klinsi wants him to do. Overall, from what I've seen from him I'd give him a 3.5 in this tournament so far. I'd like it if Klinsmann would have them play a little lopsided, with Yedlin in front of Chandler and Fabian Johnson advancing on the left.

22. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Watching Chandler, he reminds me of Castillo at LB.

He's a better defender than him, but I see some issues with Chemistry on his part. I often times vs. Panama saw him looking for more touches on the ball but instead he was left with his hands out. I think he's a guy that looks to get involved very much on attack from the RB role similar to Fabian but wtihout the touches he is prone to errors because of jitters is my opinion.

He often looks just so uncomfortable out there, and I think that may be why. Just a theory...

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we cant be patient with him any more, hes been given way too much time to get "acclimated", whatever that means. Any other MLS coach would have brought in other options like Lichaj or Kofi Sarkodie by now. Sarkodie may be pedestrian, but I assume he could do simple stuff like complete passes.

nancyb repped this.
  24. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    none of our defenders have looked that good, but we have only conceded two goals in three games (mostly due to our opponents not being able to hit the ocean with their shots).
    But...
    Chandler's brain fart defending often leaves him chasing shadows and when this happens near his own goal line that's a sure recipe for disaster. Defenders should be sound defensively first (duh), contribute to the offense second.

I would start Beaz at LB and Johnson at RB. Shore up those flanks first.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, and the obligatory "bump" even if he scores an off goal against Cuba is going to do little to change the big picture