Time to turn it on

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by skydog, May 26, 2015.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After yet another slow start to the season the conventional wisdom, or should I say hope, is that the 2015 Galaxy will repeat their recent history of strong finishes. This pattern is remarkably consistent going back to at least 2011, with the turnaround always starting between games 12 and 14:

Season Starts, Games 1→13
    Year: W-L-T, Points

2011: 6-2-5, 23
    2012: 3-8-2, 11
    2013: 6-5-2, 20
    2014: 5-3-5, 20
    2015: 4-4-5, 17

Season Finishes, Games 14→34
    Year: W-L-T, Points|Season Total,WC Finish

2011: 13-3-5, 44 |67, 1st
    2012: 13-4-4, 43 |54, 4th
    2013: 9-6-6, 33 |53, 3rd
    2014: 12-4-5, 41 |61, 2nd
    2015: ??-?-?, ?? |??, ?

So (as I believe Dashiel often points out) our record this season is a typical of recent years. But can this team repeat those very strong finishes we put on from 2011 through 2014? Overall during this period we averaged 1.9 pts per game over the last 21 games and only once did we lose more than 4 of them.

But this season we've lost Donovan and Sarvas and have been plagued by injuries. However Keane is back(?), we pick up Gerrard in July, and the we have 3 more games this year to turn it around (24 games left rather than 21). Does this team have what it takes to put together yet another strong finish? Or do you think we will limp along for much of the rest of the season as we have so far? Or something in between (my guess)? What are your predictions?

henryo and Geneva repped this.
  2. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Best guess – this year ends up looking an awful lot like 2013. I say the turn around happens a littler later and is a little weaker than years past. The extra playoff spot means a comfortable, but low seed.

As for the post-season itself it’s going to come down to the answers for these 4 players
    • Robbie - is he fit and in form?
    • Steven - does he adapt in time?
    • Omar - can he keep his head in the game and his feet behind the halfway line for 90 minutes?
    • Penedo - Superman or Clark Kent?
    Realistically, this feels like a transition year and the Cup is a long shot, I’d like to see LA really focus on the USOC. But this is MLS, if those 4 guys are on song that’s as good a spine as any in MLS.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely a transitional period and this season will reflect that.

Fortunately (?), the injuries have come early during the season and not later. As long as we don't push previously injured players to play when they're not 100%, then we should have our strongest lineup ready to rack up the points we missed out on earlier this season.

Prediction: Given Galaxy's previous seasons, I expect them to finish off strong. Maybe not as first or second in the Western Conference, but hopefully third.

4. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome - good post!

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's almost entirely dependent on the injuries. There is quality in the group as a whole, and experience. We are going to lose some important pieces during the Gold Cup and probably for other international callups as well. Zardes, Penedo and Omar gone for several games will make things difficult.

I'm not too encouraged by the injury record this year. Dunivant gone for an extended period. Rogers out with who-knows-what. AJ injured in preseason, and evidently not healed enough to come back without re-injuring himself. Keane, also injured, back in training, then injury re-occurs. I hope our training staff knows what it's doing. I hope Gerrard doesn't find himself the target of some random headhunting midfielder.

We aren't going to blaze up into 1st place, or put on the offensive show we did last year. But I believe we'll pull it together enough to stay in playoff position in a very tough conference, maybe get as high as second place, and then there's no way to predict the playoffs right now.

King Koopa and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think injuries will determine whether we can battle for a 2-3-4 playoff spot, or battle for a 5-6-out position...

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Jesse Marsh has retired

TrickHog repped this.
  8. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, he stands pretty close to the touch line. I could see him sticking a leg out and catching Gerrard.

TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  9. luigi-55

luigi-55 Member

LA Galaxy
    Netherlands
    May 7, 2010
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes he does, must be part of the tactics in the 300 page plan they have.
    But we won't see that Galaxy hater unless they make the cup final.
    That is a long shot, even in the weak eastern conference.
    They are still the Red Bulls :rolleyes:

10. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right, most likely we won't need to worry about that happening until next season!

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! Finally decided to join. It's good to find a forum with great discussions about my favorite team.

Geneva, FlapJack and TrickHog repped this.
  12. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a dangerous paradigm, fraught with peril. Just ask the Kings this season. Eventually you'll flip the switch and nothing will happen, or another team has a bigger, better generator backing up the switch.

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2013 is still too fresh. I think most of us are skittish and a bit worried that the end product in August when we have the full team isn't going to be quite good enough. I guess we'll see. I am cautiously optimistic that the full team will gel and play good soccer, but I don't have too much of a rational basis for that.

Berks repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sorry but I don't see us ending up in 1st or 2nd as remotely realistic. From 2011->2014 the average # of points needed to get 2nd place was 59 which is 1.74 points per game. For us to average 1.74 pts/game for the entire season we will need to average pick up 47 pts in our last 24 games, which is a blistering ~2 pts per game. A record of say 13-3-8 or 14-5-5 would accomplish this but I don't think we have the talent to immediately start dominating the league like that.

I did the math for all the playoff making finishes using the 2011-14 averages*

Place, Pts needed in last 24 games, Example record for achieving that
    1st, 52, 16-4-4
    2nd, 47, 14-5-5
    3rd, 42, 12-6-6
    4th, 41, 12-7-5
    5th, 36, 10-8-6
    6th, 31, 9-11-4

Based on the realities of the math and our personnel I would predict we end up in 5th or 6th place. Our high side potential is probably 3rd or 4th.

OTOH the positive takeaway from these numbers is that we should make the playoffs if we at all deserve it. A 9-11-4 record or its equivalent shouldn't be that hard to achieve.

*There is one qualifier to the above math. There seems to be more parity than usual so far this year. If this continues then the points needed to come in the top 6 may be a bit lower than average. But the differences would show up more in the top spots (1st ->3rd) and be smaller as you move down. And I still predict a 5th or 6th place finish.

shelbo and dashiel repped this.
  15. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I was warming up my fingers to point this out. What might be interesting is to compare points/positions in 2015 to the same stage in prior seasons. E.g. last season at this stage there was a more than 10 point gap between LA and Seattle and RSL in 1st and 2nd respectively at this stage of the season; this season it’s 4. That doesn’t take in to account games in hand though.

16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome! This is a great group of people here, and you should meet folks in person if you ever get out to a game!

I'm terrible at predictions, but will say it was great to get the points tonight. We should rise in power rankings as a result.

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably depends on how we do against NE!

Berks repped this.
  18. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well we have two wins in a row to start the hoped for turnaround. But as a reminder of the task we have in front of us -- even after grinding out these consecutive 1-0 wins we are still in 6th place in the Western Conference in ppg. We have a lot of work ahead and little margin for error the rest of the way in.

TrickHog repped this.
  19. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to win a road game #greedy

TrickHog repped this.
  20. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Bruce seems to have similar thoughts, although he seems a bit worried about National Team callups in June...this is from last night.