Time to test the smoke detectors: We need a new manager!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dirt McGirt, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Re: The Annual New Manager Speculation Thread-v2008

Appointing Keegan and Shearer is just like appointing Shearer. Look at how Man City ended. He had Pearce under his wing for a couple of years then bailed on the job. It turned out disasterous for City. They were lucky to escape relegation and even luckier to walk ass-backwards into Sven.

Thx,

Jay!

2. ottoman

ottoman Member

Nov 30, 1998
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

We sacked our manager during the season and are having a hard time finding someone willing to replace him, isn't that the way we ended up with Sounness a few years ago?

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

I'll take an interim like Dave Bassett to keep us up. Then line up a quality gaffer in the summer. And forget about Mourinho. He's not coming no matter the cash Ashley throws at him.

This season cannot be about a "pride" finish anymore. It has to be about finishing above Derby, Sunderland and FulWigingham.

Thx,

Jay!

4. ottoman

ottoman Member

Nov 30, 1998
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

You are so smart! You know more than any wag on this board. If anyone doesn't beleive it all they have to do is ask you. I guess you know more than Sir Bobby Robson as well.http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3043665,00.html

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But you'd end up like the previous one and half Yanks that were signed, only lasting 11 matches.

6. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Did did you read his whole quote in other reports?

Because if you did, you would have seen one statement:

"...if he (Shearer) fails now he fails; it was their choice..."

That's an example of a hack pushing an opinion. an opinion that pretty much says: "give the NUFC mob what it is baying for and when it fails its their fault."

Do you really want that to happen, and do you really think thats a good idea.

Do you think that someone in who is in a leadership role would listen to that recommendation?

And nice snark BTW; when I wish to hear fevered paranoia that feeds into the meme that NUFC fans are idiots, I'll look you up :)

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Play nice, kiddies.

The thing about Robson saying (reportedly) that if Shearer fails then Ashley fails is that he'd be right. Ashley waited too long even in his own opinion to try and get his guy in, and then when he zeroed in on his guy he couldn't get him (don't give me this bollocks about there being multiple candidates and no offer, Harry was the guy and Mort couldn't land him). Ashley needs to get this appointment right to distinguish himself from Fat Freddy, but this managerial transition has already shown several FFS hallmarks. If whoever he brings in flops, then so does the chairman/owner because we're back in this situation in a year from now and he's really FFS 2.0. This is a big appointment, a big time in Ashley's stewardship of this club even though he's not owned it for a year yet, and it's already started going tits up.

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God no, not a Souness redux, it was bad enough the first time.

More names to throw in the hat:

Houllier, van Gaal, Hitzfeld

Roberto Martinez?!

The way I see it, get van Gaal's ass up here post haste. Alkmaar are struggling so he might be looking for an escape route and he plays balls-to-the-wall attacking football, which the fans will love. And he's successful at it, to boot. Of course, the only manager who will ever get the patience necessary for 3 years to truly turn it around is probably Shearer. :(

10. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been looking at our recent form and the level of play of other teams below us and have come to a conclusion (TPS alert).

We have picked up one point out of our last 15. Form charts will typically say four from the last 18. Nine since the end of October, out of a possible 36. Yes, we're midtable at 11th position, but we're stuck on 26 points and are now just six points above the relegation zone. Of the teams behind us, Birmingham, Wigan, Tottenham and Bolton are playing better than us. You could probably argue that Fulham, Reading, Boro and S*nderland are playing on par or maybe a little better. Only Derby is playing remotely worse than us and we gave them four of their seven points.

Now the chairman has said that he and the owner will take as much time as necessary to get the proper man in charge. I think they need to make a speedy decision, not take their sweet time, because if we don't make a decision in the next few days, there's not really time to buy anyone in January to improve the squad. That means we're stuck with the same players to get out out of the mess they got us into. If we get to Feb. without a manager, we could be in real trouble. If Pearson ends up becoming caretaker manager until the end of the year, well, I don't want to think about that. Sam wouldn't have gotten us relegated, but since he's been axed and there's no clear path for the club, going down is a very real possibility at this point in time.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Van Gaal would be amazing but I just don't see Mort and Ashley with enough football smarts to appoint him.

I sure glad Souness put his name in contention. Now I'm waiting for Bruce Arena to throw his name in and my misery will be complete.

12. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle managerial primary!

Okay, I've put up a poll here to gauge everyone's opinion on who they want the next manager to be. All of these candidates have been mentioned in newspapers or other interwebz rumors. We'll leave this poll open for a week or two I think.

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Re: Newcastle managerial primary!

Alan Shearer-needs to do a Keano and manage elsewhere first.
    Kevin Keegan-maybe, if his heart is in it and we give him at least three years.
    Louis van Gaal-maybe.
    Jose Mourinho-dream pick, won't come unless he really doesn't want to manage elsewhere and wants to spite Roman. I hear he's available for 1M sterling a week.
    Ottmar Hitzfeld-foreign players have a hard enough time adapting. Why take a coach?
    Mark Hughes-I'd like this one, but he's Sir Alex in Waiting.
    David Moyes-Best candidate left, but shows no inclination to leave Everton, and why would he?
    Martin Jol-who ate all the lasagne?
    Gerard Houllier-maybe, if his heart is in it.
    Roberto Martinez-who?
    Graeme Souness-sure, if all else fails.
    None of the above (please state your choice)

What we need right now is a fixer. Dave Bassett, Joe Royal or Peter Reid (shudder) to get us through the rest of the season. Worry about a new gaffer and a fresh start in August.

Thx,

Jay!

14. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I disagree. There is not a chance in hell we are going to get relegated. We still have Bolton at home, Fulham at home, the mackems at home, reading at home. I'd say we get 9 points from these fixtures at the very least. That leaves us at 35 points, with 12 other matches to get points from. At 35 points we could be safe, but I'd say 40 for sure, and I don't see how we don't pick up 14 points from the entire rest of the season. Let's be honest, we have a decent squad, a squad capable of challenging for Europe if everything were in its right place. There is no doubt Derby is going down, and I'd be shocked if Fulham were able to save their season, so that leaves just 1 spot left for relegation. You really think all those teams behind us are going to be able to leapfrog us?

15. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm not sure Hitzfeld would work. I don't even know if he speaks English.

Honestly he's past his prime, I think. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We still have to go to Anfield, the Emirates, Villa Park, Goodison and Eastlands, not to mention we still have Chelsea and the Mancs at home. The way we're currently playing we'll be lucky to get anything from those matches which means we basically have nine matches (S*nderland, Boro, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Reading home; West Ham, Portsmouth, Birmingham away) to get 17 points in which to guarantee safety (42 is the highest relegation total, IIRC).

I didn't necessary say all those teams will jump us, but the way we've played these last few games I wouldn't bet on beating Bolton this weekend even if it's at home. Ditto Fulham. The players not only physically don't have it right now but the majority of them appear to have mentally checked out. That's really, really not good given the situation we're in. We will be lucky to better last season's finish.

17. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

I posted this in the Man U result thread so I'm worried also:

The scary stuff for me is to look ahead. I'm really worried because this is a rough stretch we are facing.

January
    Wed - Stoke FA Cup replay - I hate to say it, but we might be better off out of the FA cup.
    Saturday 1/19 - Bolton (H) - should get points from this match
    Tuesday 1/29 - Arsenal (A) - our best result this year, and Arsenal have key players out. I'd be surprised if we get points, though

February
    Saturday 2/9 - Aston Villa (A) - They are playing fairly well recently - I would be surprised if we get a point at Villa Park.
    Saturday 2/23 - Man U (H) - I don't want to think about this one.

In March we play Blackburn(H), Liverpool(A), Birmingham(A), Fulham(H) and Tottenham(A).

We are 9 points off the relegation zone and I'm afraid we'll be fortunate to keep our current position for the remainder of the season.

18. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enter Sparky?

Of course, 'Arry was set to take the reins too, but meh. His winning percentage is marginally worse than Roeder's or Souness' NUFC records, and 2/3 of the time Blackburn have come away with points under him which is about the same for Souness or Roeder. So maybe we're just shit no matter the manager. :eek:

19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Steve Coppell hasn't got a mention. He's done well with Reading and plays an exciting brand of football to boot.

20. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But their defending record is worse than ours.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    It's funny how some reports say that the fans wouldn't take to having a manager fly in from the south coast, but they are perfectly alright with Mikey Owen flying in from Wales every day.

Thx,

Jay!

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True Dat. Although I'm beginning to think the average Toon season ticket holder wouldn't care as long as they were entertained.

23. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005

I'll take my smartest man in the universe shirt in a size large.

24. bburgarelli

bburgarelli New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Brazil
    Van Gaal is a good choice, and I think it's the best manager that we can actually get.

But I voted on Mourinho. He won't come, that's for sure, but he has a great history on making rubbish teams in Champions League winners :D .

25. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wasn't it part of the Chelsea cut and run deal that he couldn't manage in the Prem for at least a year after leaving?

Conspiracy theory. Ashley & Mort didn't want to spend $$ during this window, BSA did. Solution is to fire BSA, dont hire til after the window is closed and have no possible way to buy players. Ingenious.