Time to dream: Name DC United's new stadium

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greenbill, Dec 4, 2004.

1. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about Adidas(Or Other Sponsor) Stadium At Poplar Point, ala Denver Broncos Invesco Field @ Mile High Stadium.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starbucks Coffee Grounds at Poplar Point
    Foggy Bottom Field at Poplar Point (aka "The Ale House")

3. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a Seatlle team would have dibs on Starbucks...

4. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Yup.

5. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    These sound like great names for the gathering areas before and after games.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I really think Poplar Point sounds good...just think, in 20, 40 years, if we're still there (hopefully we'll need a bigger stadium by then! :D ), how much tradition that name would have. It would sound just as good as any English named stadium, for sure. And since the name probably has to be in English, I think its good that we try and emulate those type of names.

Anyway, Ill be happy with our SSS if its as good as Chicago's...that thing looks to be setting the bar pretty high. Hopefully ours can be customized somehow with partially bouncing stands (yes, I have heard all the arguments against, but I can always hold out hope :( ), and DC UNITED or UNITED needs to be painted on the seats, you know, the letters being formed by white seats that you see in all the best soccer stadiums. That'd be sweet.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I'll call it the same thing I call RFK.

My summer home.

8. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/dc90.htm

personally (and seriously), i'd hope United might put Anacostia in the name. It is meant to honor the indeginous folks who lived here first. its a ********ing shame that it was allowed to get to the state it is in and hopefully the new stadium will help in the "revitalization" of the river that has been slowly going on (appartently in some respects there has been some improvement.

that would seem a bit deeper tie than the "poplar point" name and also keep the river as a constant part of the United experience (not always pleasant in Lot 8 when the breeze blows a certain way).

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Anacostia Road

Traditional name, local flavor. And even if they don't call it this, I suggest that's how we refer to it.

Thx,

Jay!

10. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    How about killing two birds with one stone and call the place

"Echevarry Arena" ?

Someone ask Sachin how he'd like this one:

"Highland Park"

That's an inside joke, referring to what the Scots would call "the water of life."

11. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Devil's Den [... just keep rocks off the pitch]
    Red and Black Pub,
    F Douglass Memorial Museum at Poplar Point (built into the stadium building -- maybe saving some taxes).

GM

12. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Well I was thinking what it would be named if Adidas bought the rights, and I think Adidas Arena is the best choice. That way we could all go to meetings at the AA each week.

13. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Agree.

14. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    RFK Stadium.

Because after the District shells out $650 million for baseball there won't be anything left for you.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Hello, my name is JoeSoccerFan. I have been sober for 45 seconds while waiting in line for the keg....

16. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    wait have you guys really found a site. does it look promising at all? or are you guys just jumping the gun here.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Thread Title=Time to dream: Name DC United's new stadium

Thank you for playing.

Jay!

18. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    "The Eagles Nest"

and have the old crest under it

19. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Well, fortunately for DCU, RFK is crumbling down. Pieces of concrete are actually falling off the thing. I doubt DC will keep anyone there for very long.

20. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marion Barry Memorial Stadium.

This way, it can be known as "The Crack House"

21. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And the real positive thing is that Barry would be dead.
    :eek:

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    You, sir, have it right. Rep!

24. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In September I took a long hike on the Fort Circle trail in southeast with a fifth generation Anacostia resident who is deeply engaged in turning Poplar Point into a memorial park for Frederick Douglass. (I didn't have the heart to tell her that her project has even less hope of success than the construction of an SSS there.) She and other Anacostia residents are appalled by the prospects of a soccer stadium at Poplar Point.

It's almost inconceivable in these days of corporate sponsorship, but, in the interest of addressing local concerns, because he deserves it, and simply because it would be a notable and noble thing to do, I propose that we call it:

Frederick Douglass Park

perc

25. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    That would be well intentioned and reasonable. It also may be the only way to even mildly appease the Douglass park interests. However, I have a sincere feeling that any name to the stadium will be that of a corporate sponsor. Hence, all the naming speculation outside of "who will sponsor the stadium" is pretty well moot.

Perhaps DC United can get some allies in getting through the beaurocratic process by offering up a horsetrading idea of sorts with the Douglass Park people. Offer up a portion of the land plus funds to build the memorial (granted, not a full on park, but a tasteful and sizeable memorial nonetheless) in exchange for the groups' agreement to help and not hinder the stadium development.

Cheers,
    Tim