Time to ditch red shirts for US Nats fans?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by eurojack, Mar 31, 2005.

1. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Sam's Army should stick with red. The USSF should make a red jersey. Those would be sweet.

2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

something like this?

[​IMG]

I probably should have made one with numbers.

edit...wow that came out big.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nike does make a red jersey for the USSF.

[​IMG]

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    having read the thread from the beginning, i see we've come full circle.

5. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well we all agree that we should be in unison in some form, but some of us feel that we should be RED in unison, and some of us feel that we should be the same as the team.

So if the team has a red jersey, then we are ALL in unison.

I started another thread for contacts, but we agreed that the best bet was to get in touch with Nike.

6. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    After attending the US vs. england game where the US wore Blue shirts and White short and England wore white shirts and blue shorts, I defintely agree we need a red jersey, even if it's a third jersey.

Also, isn't red the color of winners? http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/05/19/winning.red.ap/

As for supporters, red would be great, but heck, I wear what ever team gear I have or can afford to buy, as long as it says US soccer on it.

BTW- forget wearing the same shirts. The English fans plastered every inch of solider field with english flags and banners. That gave a very impressive feeling or presence.

7. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we are addressing in another thread... we will get something figured out. :)

8. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    I say wear the shirt color the team is wearing. Bring a blue shirt or a white shirt to the game. I doubt nike would make a red jersey for next year even if everyone on this board petitioned for it. I think its probably Nike's and USSF way of differentiating between the the men's and women's sides to some degree.

Could someone give me a reason they switched the men's jersey color in from red to blue, or atleast point me to the right thread?

Thanks. :)

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well since it's going to be a LONG time before we ever get everyone in the stadium wearing one color, I can only compare Sams Army to the student section at a college sporting event. A much as I despise them, I'll use U of Michigan as an example since I'm in Ann Arbor at the moment. At the home games, most of the stadium is filled with rich alumni and whatnot whore are going to fill up most of the stadium wearing some form of michigan clothing, while off in the corner, the student section is a sea of yellow ("maize" if you want to get techinical) This is easily the loudest section and the only section with creative cheers short of the marching band. Sure the team is wearing blue, but yellow stands out, and was a good switch. So for US games, just replace rich alumni with "soccer moms" and the student section with hard core supporters and you get a good idea of how Sams Army should look. They may not be wearing the same color as the team, but they stand out and there's no question what side they support. Red is simply a better color to wear in a large group than blue or white, simply because it stands out. If you really need a jersey, look up "dan.boz" on ebay and you'll find plenty of red throwback USA jerseys.

10. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet that tells an existing and organized supporters' group that the all-red mantra, circa 10 years, needs to be changed.

White is probably the most common t-shirt color in the world.

I'd settle for blue or red, but red already exists amongst fan groups (see behind goal versus England), and I believe Scotland wears blue en masse.

11. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy! I've bought from him before as well. Good seller.

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    its hard enough getting everyone in one color, not enough people connected to the same avenue of information to even begin to get everyone wearing the same color depending on home or away jerseys.

13. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I just bought a red T-shirt at the local outlet mall for a wopping $6.

14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    OK, it's like this.

THE REASON U.S. SUPPORTERS WEAR RED:

It looks a heckuva lot better; the original SA concept was based on the crowd at the 1989 qualifier in Port of Spain where the entire crowd was dressed in red.

THE REASON THE U.S. MEN'S TEAM WEARS BLUE:

The majority of our main CONCACAF rivals do not wear navy blue. Now, if Costa Rica and Panama had not made it through to the Hexagonal, I think FIFA would have had us switch to red for the final round, if not the WC Finals.

THE REASON THE USWNT WEARS RED:

Beats me; our main CONCACAF rival (Canada) is a red team, and two of our main world rivals (Norway, China) are also red.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

ummm, most of our CONCACAF rivals do not wear white, so that is a moot point seeing as though we wear our home shirt every game of qualifying.

and FIFA has nothing to do with the uniform selection. That's between Nike and US soccer.

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Wrong!

Ever wonder why Uruguay had to wear red at the last Copa America? Why England was made to wear light blue in the 1986 World Cup? FIFA makes the call depending on the colors of other teams in their group.

To wit: 2002. Our group had South Korea (pinkish-red), Portugal (wine-red), and Poland (scarlet). Can't have a fourth red team in the group, so we went to blue.

FIFA makes the call.

17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I've never heard of any of this before so rep to you if you can show me some documentation of it. As for the group in the last world cup, what does the off shirt color matter? The USA's first kit is white, so that gets worn for the first game. Against Poland who's home kit is also white, they'd have worn red. What's the conflict?

As as for your suggestion of changing the kits for the hex if Pan and CR had not gotten in; uniforms are made on two year cycles by nike. I have yet to see an incident where they released a third kit for a team midway into their cycle, especially when there is no actual uniform conflict. If a third kit was needed because a team had a similar home and away kit, I could understand that, but there have been no such incidents with the USA that I know of.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow. Just wow. This is so completely full of mistakes and idiocy, it makes me cry.

You, sir, are an idiot if you think FIFA has any control over what color the U.S. wears.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're going to have to come up with some sort of proof, other than "I overheard someone talking about it at the stadium."

Since four teams don't play in one game, having four teams with the same dominant color is not an issue. All that's required is that each team have two different uniforms. FIFA makes no rules. It is up to the match referee to decide if the uniforms are too similar or not. The match referee can force a change. I have only rarely seen a team forced to change shirts before a game, but I frequently see the referee force goalkeepers to change based on what the referees are wearing or to make sure the two goalkeepers aren't wearing similar tops.

But, you're going to have to come up with some proof about FIFA forcing the U.S. to have blue uniforms. That's just stupid.

Basically Nike pays U.S. Soccer a ton of money and then Nike decides what uniforms are available to the national team. Obviously, Nike feels they can sell more blue USMNT replicas than red ones.

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, gotta hand it to the folks in Utah. They sure stuck to the red shirt program. The problem is if you were surfing channels without audio you would have thought the game was in San Jose , Costa Rica.

An entire stadium of supporters wearing red, the same color as the visiting team. It looked foolish.

21. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    It helps that the other team they were rooting for in the double header also wears red. ;)

22. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Shhh! It feels good to take jabs at the fans. Leave reality and such things out of this. I can't wait for the US supporters = star trek geek comments...

23. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    And if one watched the Guatemala vs. Mexico WCQ on Saturday night with the stadium in a "sea of white", it's apparent that USA fans must wear all-blue shirts to stand out...

I'm all for USA's tie-dye army... :p

24. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    Well, I look good in teal or sea foam and that's what I'm wearing dammit!

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the reason we have to wear red is?
    Because Mark Spacone sold red t-shirts 6 years ago?