Time for the Crew FO to Step Up?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Aug 26, 2007.

1. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical West Coast media bias.

2. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least they didn't list us as "Colobus", althought at times that seems an apt description.

3. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the Crew stadium curse? TimD stated that the Hunts don't throw money around, but the Hunts were the first to throw money for a stadum for an MLS team.

Are we paying for it now? Are our debt obligations on the stadium too high to spend money to get the top players? Are the Hunts content to sit in their tropical hideaways are reap the benefits of having control of the stadium and not losing money in Columbus? Think about it, three almost sellouts for the beckham package- an extra $240k in ticket sales (an extra 8000 fans per game at $10 per ticket) for just these three games alone not to mention concessions and extras. This could bring the team into the black for the season. What incentive is there for the Hunts to do anything more?

This is why we need a local ownership group instead of an out-of-town investor/operator. A local owner who cares about the community and representing the community with wins and losses instead of just loooking at a balance sheet from a distance. Theres a feeling of pride supporting a local team that you just don't get living out of town. Heck, I still have it, and I moved to Richmond almost 14 years ago.

McCullers needs to stand up and be a man and really lay into MLS referees in a public forum if they are allowing GBS to get beaten down every game. I've been unable to see many games, but if it is half as bad as the folks on this board say it is, McCuller needs to say some provocative things and get a fine. Take it like a man, get the MLS head office stirred up- it will eventually get back to the referees and things will change. It can't get any worse, can it?

4. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    It's that bad or worse, it's been awhile since I've seen a player, any player, in this league be allowed to get pounded, kicked, thrown, etc. like Guille and not get a call. In fact in a number of games a clear defensive foul has been called a foul on Guille and the ball has gone the other way. Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if the refs/league want him out of the league. Who knows maybe we aren't allowed to have good players I dunno.

Moreover it has spread to the rest of the team. It was reported that before the DC game Moreno was told flat out by the ref to stay on his feet that he would not be given the benefit of the doubt on any play.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is indeed time for Mr McCullers to man up, speak up, get a fine from the bastards in New York and become a hero to the fans and the team.

That one call against Guille was the most unbelievable, absurd "foul" I've ever seen in my life. Coming into the box on the dribble he gets cut down by a defender coming in late and from the side and Guille gets whistled.

Insane. Just insane. Did you see that, despite being the guy who has the ball for us whenever possible and so is the target of a bunch of assaults every game, he did not get ONE call last game. NOT ONE CALL.

He is, however, one yellow card away from a suspension. It's beyond ludicrous.

And poor Moreno, shit, you can take an axe handle out there with you and whack away at him and never get a whistle.

Something has to be said.

6. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Agreed BA sad, truly sad.

Sigi has made several veiled comments about the refs but yes it is time for someone be it Sigi or MM to come out and call a spade a spade and take the fine.

Maybe we should start another form of the Mike Clark Memorial "We'll pay the fine" fund and we the fans offer to pay the fine from NYC for an official calling out of the refs.

Honestly, the DC game had to have been on of the worse reffed games I have seen in any sport. If I thought there was any money to be made from it I would swear that ref had been bought and paid for.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think Guille has developed a reputation as both an embellisher and a crybaby. Games are called differently in MLS than in the Argentine league and the refs expect players to adapt to the calls. I haven't seen Guillermo take an out and out dive but he frequently goes down on light contact, the sort of thing that usually isn't called. If the ref thinks the player is flopping and making him look bad, the player is more likely to get a card than a call.

The no calls for Moreno are ridiculous. He legitimately gets fouled a lot. Crew should have gotten a first half PK vs DC when Ezra was held back by the jersey on a free kick.

8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly POd. Despite what a lot of people were saying about Guille and Alejandro, I haven't seen them dive yet (not saying they haven't and I know I can be a homer). Sometimes Guille goes down easy, other times he throws his body around (i.e. plays hard) and takes big hits. But both of them take a lot of fouls. I think the refs just assume they're diving after a while.

That and I've always thought players talking a lot to the refs would actually makes it less likely they'd get calls. I've always figured a quick and calm "hey, watch player x, he's doing y all day" during a play stoppage would go over much better than a constant hand waving and complaining (whether said complaining is legit or not). But maybe that's just because it's probably how I'd react were I a ref.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No player can adapt to the way US officials call the game. Who knows what the ref is going to call at any given moment in the US, you can't adapt to that. It's sporatic and inconsistant.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'll grant you that there is tremendous inconsistency in MLS officiating from ref to ref and match to match. I thought the worst officiated match I've seen this year was our game at LA. The referee in a single match had completely different standards for fouls from one half to another.

All that said, I've never seen an MLS match called as tightly as Argentine matches frequently are.

11. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Matt Reis was right, the referees are treating Schelotto like they want to get his autograph after the game.

12. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    It's consistently inconsistent.

13. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The refs don't know that we know they don't know.

14. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Hunt's have decided to bring in Denilson and the Hoops have managed to find Richetti and Toja in addition to having Ruiz (whether or not due to owner involvement), it would seem if we re-brand to "FC Dallas-ish", perhaps we can get the attention we deserve.
    Schelotto was a huge pick-up (but even he openly discussed going to a Boca USA if it happens). We deserve a DP or major allocation, and the Crew are in dire need thereof. If nothing materializes soon, I think that is a clear indication that we have been cast off and maybe the long term goal is to relocate or close shop and use CCS for other events. Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything more about the proposed stage opposite the video board?

15. AuntLoosey

AuntLoosey New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Exactly. OK, last rant of the day:
    IT'S TIME FOR THE FANS TO STAND UP!!!

Nobody wants to lose this team.
    Nobody wants to watch bad soccer either.
    We are sick of it.
    Time to storm the castle gates.
    Time to demand that the owners start spending money now.
    Do whatever it takes to get us into the playoffs.
    Like you said, they are putting all their support behind Dallas and leaving us screwed, again, for the third year in a row!
    We need to get in their face, call them out, and hold their toes to the fire.
    Either stand up or get out of town!
    Someone will buy this team if the price is right.
    Lets help the owners discover what that price is.
    Lets make keeping us on a string a national embarrasment for them!
    LOSERS
    Never stop protesting!!!!

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um, yeah. First I thought you were being sarcastic. Now I'm a bit scared. Time for a refill on the meds, there sweetie.

17. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor again?

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [youtube]K92OVFeGgIE[/youtube]

19. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?"

Classic.

20. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Have fun stormin' the castle.

21. Punch

Punch Member

May 18, 2007
    Worthington, OH
  22. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I faurt in your general dierection.

Perhaps one of the greatest lines delivered in cinematic history.