Time For the Annual "Frank DeFord Sucks" Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DaveBrett, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Shenan

Shenan New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Long Beach, CA
    Frank must have read this thread here a few days ago and added the jabs at soccer to his Lacrosse commentary in response. :rolleyes:

Anyway, everyone, write some good replies to NPR whenever they broadcast Deford bashing socer - http://www.npr.org/contact/ the show today was Morning Edition (it's where they usually play Deford's segment). Write today so that they can have a chance to read any good rebuttal letters on the show tomorrow (they read listeners' letters on Thursday).

You can find his other commentary on NPR where soccer is mentioned here:
    http://www.npr.org/search.php?text=deford+soccer

Here's a good listener reply to a NPR story that was negative about soccer. It's the first letter they read:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1117799

2. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    NPR is just a small part of it. Frank has been bashing soccer in Sports Illustrated for years.

In his latest commentary on NPR he says that lacrosse is more popular than soccer.

Yeah, right.

4. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    In the Vote for the USA Slogan thread, someone suggested Frand DeFord Sucks.

Let's get a "Frank DeFord Sucks" chant going at the next USA friendly.

5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Mr. DeFord,

You may not like soccer, but you can't stop thinking about it.

6. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    National Public Radio does a serious disservice to its listeners by giving airtime to this anachronistic blowhard, but at least they usually preface his spots, allowing me enough time to change the station. That way, my blood pressure doesn't rise. Like the dinosaur and the Edsel, his time has come and gone, and shall never return.

7. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I don't know about that. Dinosaurs are everywhere these days. The Jurassic Park movies sell a lot of tickets.

8. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    National Public Radio (NPR) does a disservice to the American public by its mere existence. It's bias toward left leaning intellectual effete snobs is so blatant that it borders on ridiculous. The liberals complain about FOX not being “Fair and Balanced”; at least they aren’t funded by taxpayers like NPR.

9. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    ok, i spent 35 minutes listening to NPR this morning

dear god!!! who listens to this sh**** ?????

its pathetic, horrible, and really snobby

no wonder frank deford talks like he's from some higher society, hell his talk of lacrosse was really, well, gay

10. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPR regularly is far more fair and balanced than Fox. NPR has an undeniable liberal bent but it generally presents both sides of an issue, usually quite fairly.

11. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

supporting soccer and being smart their is a direct correlation there? Obviously you have not met the average english footie fan. You think american football fans are oafish knuckle draggers wait till you meet the english ones.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you guys care what Frank Deford thinks?

13. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    How am I supposed to enjoy the World Cup if I can't get extremely agitated over the fact that not everyone likes it?

14. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just came across this thread.

Thanks for the kind words on that piece.

I'm getting involved in an organization that's still in the planning stage to put some more shine on the game so hopefully we'll be able to destroy some of the ignorance of the game.

15. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    My wife insists on waking up to NPR. Unfortunately for me, it just doesn't wake me up, no matter the volume. Instead, I incorporate the news into my dreams every morning, sleeping late on most days. I then walk around the office thinking all these crazy as$ things all day that have a kernel of truth, but usually reflect some freudian spin job of my unconscious mind.

Except for most Wednesday mornings. I wake up perfectly every Wednesday morning that Frank DeFord does his thing. His pompous voice wakes me up faster than my cat clawing my eyelids.

I used to tell NPR all manner of nasty things about Frank, but I now like to relay to them that if it weren't for Frank, I'd never wake up on time most Wednesdays to turn off his annoying voice, thereby making it on time to my regular staff meetings.

Oh, and for the claim above that NPR has some form of left-leaning bias...I heartily disagree.

I listen to it most evenings and read six papers regularly (Washington Times, Wash Post, Atlanta Journal-Con., Wall Street J, NY Times, and Albuquerque Journal). Here's the orientation of these media outlets from left to right:

NY Times, Wash. Post (though right-leaning sometimes), Atlanta Journal-Con, NPR, Alb. Journal, WSJ, Washington Times.

The fact is that NPR often presents both sides of every issue even when one side abdicates unlimited murdering of kittens for fun and the other might just be advocating murdering fewer kittens.

Cheers,
    Tim

16. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Barbara, Barbara, Barbara; you cannot be serious, are you? We are fortunate to live in a country where freedom of the press is the law of the land, and like all American citizens should, I support that sacred right without reservation. However, defining NPR as a provider of “Fair and Balanced” news reporting is comparable to saying that John Kerry was a genuine Vietnam War hero, or that Rush Limbaugh is “Fair and Balanced” in his reporting; the facts simply do not support the spin. I can remember only one conservative commentator every working for NPR, his name was Cal Thomas, and he left there in frustration because of the one sided slant on the news. In as far as Fox, I watch them regularly, and I can tell you that I’ve seen many occasions where they have challenged the President and his policies. You would never see NPR go after the “Clintonista” attack dogs or challenge the ever flip-flopping Hillary; it just isn’t done.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

Good lord, please tell me that moron still isnt hanging out on the soccerboards.....

18. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Real Sports on HBO used to have some great sports stories. But I won't watch it anymore since they sent Frank Deford to do a story on soccer. The highlight of the story was when he called the World Cup Trophy ugly. You could feel the distain and hatred in his voice as Bryant asked a few (canned)questions about his story. Sports journalism? Why bother even doing a story? :rolleyes:

19. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    My mistake. Apparently this week it's time for the annual "USA Sucks" threads.

And Frank DeFord still sucks.

20. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
  21. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, you just lost credibility by giving any credit to FOX, which has brought journalistic standards to an all time low. Clinton got disrespect from everybody. Apparently, you just weren't paying attention

22. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Can we keep this on USA soccer? (where it belongs.)

If you want to discuss and bash the evil FOX network, there are plenty of idiots and mental midgets in the politics forum who will be happy to oblige your whims.

I am not insinuiating you are one, but lets pleae keep this clear of FOX.... I just dont understand how Fox gets so much airtime on a soccer website. Its mindboggling..

23. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  24. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I loved watching that. Frank just looked like he missed his dose of meds. The guy looked like a dear in headlights and coudnt even stand up for himself.

Loved it.

Common sense says you should hate a soccer basher, but when you see such a poor performance, you actually like to watch it.

25. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC