Time for new MLS logo

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by biscuithead, Jul 12, 2011.

1. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    HaHa yea funny. Club identity is more important.
    In fact, English league name changes depends on who the sponsor is, but they don't do that with Club names.

2. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My speculation is that as part of the rebranding, their focus won't be the 'casual fan', but plenty of serious soccer fans.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll make you a bet that by the end of the month (since Garber said the new rebranding was going to happen in the next couple of weeks in that interview) MLS will not have a significantly changed name. In other words it will be MLS, The MLS, North American MLS, *sponsor name* MLS, etc. If the name significantly changes I won't post in this forum in January, if the name doesn't significantly change you don't post in this forum in January. Bet?

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-18337392

You know damn well he isn't going to take the bet. He's refused several I've offered before ... he doesn't have the stones or backbone.

Jasonma repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure its a win-win all the way around. either he chickens out and doesn't take the bet or I have an enforced month off from responding to him one way or the other.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What part of "or" is confusing?

Hachiko repped this.
  7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Quite a few foreign leagues have a financial institution for example sponsoring it in the name. Anyone wonder how that would play in America, if MLS became something like Barclays MLS?

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, the part where its a word in the English language...

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it's so foreign, I doubt you'll see The Don go that way. Wait until the National Mastercard Basketball Association breaks down that barrier for us.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, the commercialization has already there. Really it would just be a wording change. I mean "The Rose Bowl presented by Vizio" really isn't much different.

11. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please leave the MLS logo alone. It's about the only solid thing going it has going for it, visually speaking. We don't need to bastardize it with stars and stripes or more Americana b.s.

12. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, the Daily Yomiuri (Japan) listed the league as the US Major League on their soccer results page.

I don't think the MLS name is going anywhere. But a lot of big leagues (the Bundesliga being an exception) don't use the word football/soccer or even their country in their titles. I think, dropping the word soccer and just going with the Major League has a nice ring to it.

But, considering that most fans would probably just use MLS regardless, I don't really see the point.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if serious.... That might be just fine for soccer fans in like 190 countries to identify the league, unfortunately in North America, ie where the league and most of its fans actually are, people would think of baseball.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd run into the same thing that they do in Germany/Austria though .. with an added damper.

Simply saying "the Major League" will immediately bring Baseball to mind here. Outside of that, we'd run into the issue of "the Major League" what ? In Germany/Austria they have Football-Bundesliga to identify it as which Bundesliga you're talking about.

15. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do, but if you go up to a random person on the street and talk about the Bundesliga, he/she is going to know you mean the Fussball-Bundesliga and not the Basketball-Bundesliga.

And, as you point out, that wouldn't happen here. We already have a sport known as the Major League.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I agree with you.

16. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you're asking

Does the newspaper actually list MLS as the US Major League? Yes. Unless they've changed it very recently.

Do I actually think it's a good idea? No. No I don't. The MLS brand is good -although, I wouldn't cry over a logo change- and here to stay. I just figured I'd share how other publications refer to the league. Plus, I didn't think it sounded half bad when lined up next to the other leagues of the world.

That is correct.

17. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

I really like this build by fifty7 (hell i wouldnt be devastated if it became official)..though I do wonder what it would look like with a blue to red scheme instead of red to blue...

a silhouette logo wouldnt be too bad, but what pose? a bicycle kick? a close up of 2 players going for a header?

for my money I would use a head on shot of 2 players running side by side jostling for the ball..

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well Jerry West's silhouette is the iconic logo for the NBA. Maybe it should be Donovan shooting the ball or something.

19. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

;).a clear message!!

20. Paulinho 10

Paulinho 10 New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS & San Jose Earthquakes need a new logo desperately.

21. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would look like the MLS's original logo. Here's an MLS shirt that I'm pretty sure I got from the Clash's PR manager in 1994 or 1995, featuring what I was told was supposed to be the original MLS logo for the cancelled 1995 season. You can't see it very well here, but the copyright notice on the side says "1993".

photo.JPG

It's not as different as I remembered it being...I wonder if Nike made them take the stripes off of the shoe. The ball is almost exactly the same as the ball in the USA '94 logo.

Overall, I prefer the current logo.

22. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as compared to the current logo, i like the 95 one better.

[​IMG]

23. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think the logo is going about it wrong. MLS seems to be working hard to broadcast that MLS is a soccer league rather than MLS is America's soccer league. In the context of just US sports, it's alright. But when you look at logos the world over, many of them are perhaps a bit more inclined to point to what country it is than what sport it is. Not that we should just do what everyone else is doing or anything...

Side note. I just googled "la liga logo" and I think that is a very fun thing to say out loud.

25. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally.

[​IMG]