Time for a new "Yet Another Mass Shooting Thread"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 14, 2022.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well the olden days were good in 1 way

1530166591253630979 is not a valid tweet id

superdave repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So who supports unregulated gun ownership? A very vocal minority.

1530173995374587905 is not a valid tweet id

3. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Mine also has 5 on the ground flour (4 for the public), not including windows - of which there are many. There's also one on the roof.

I do worry about a mass shooting and have a special window evacuation ladder in my office, given I am on the 2nd floor (1st floor for those not familiar with American terminology) and am no stranger to receiving death threats.

4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I always enjoy explaining to my students that normal police in NZ don't carry guns. They have trouble wrapping their heads around that.

raza_rebel and rslfanboy repped this.
  5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely. I don't worry, because I live in a country that has decided not to live in terror of an angry young man murdering twenty people. And that's the only difference.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And NZ has a shit tonne of guns

Almost as if a well regulated gun culture works!

Deadtigers, Auriaprottu and Sounders78 repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #332 The Jitty Slitter, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    The whole point is that the majority can't get their way on any issues

Sykes had a good discussion with Lucy Caldwell where she was describing what the US would be like if you had implemented the majority view on top issues like guns, abortion etc

It's actually quite amazing the extent of minoritarian power

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Birthday money is my guess.

Deadtigers and russ repped this.
  9. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I bet you've also never arrived at your office to find 4 police waiting for you, informing you that they have reason to believe one of your students hid a gun or two in your classroom because he just committed a crime in town. Good times.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just mentioned that in the Colombian forum: When you poll republican voters, they pretty much agree with democrats on almost every issue, taxes, gun control, healthcare, even abortion and immigration to certain extent. Yet they keep voting for a party that gives the majority of them nothing that they want.

How do GQP politicians accomplish that? By lying about their policies, lying about the democrats and by catering to the most reliable voters, that at this moment are the "Christian" white ethno-nationalists. That and identity politics, which are the only things they have to offer.

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To avoid any allegations of sexism, in the future I will refer to a table as das tafel, lx table, lx tavolx and lx mesx.

Pønch repped this.
  12. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have policies? Other than those related to God (abortion), guns and gays?

They don't need policies because they have fear and violence, the twin pillars of American society, on their side.

song219 and dapip repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Latchkey kid. I've seen this quite a bit, and I also lived nearby Uvalde for a while. Parents work, and grandparents try to help raise the kid. But what does grandma have in common with an angsty bullied 1-yr-old that holes up and plays video games all day?

They hope he meets a nice girl, has a kid, and hopefully doesn't take his rage out on them.

soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #338 Sounders78, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    That's precisely why I don't think latinx is a solution. Language is culturally derived, with cultural assumptions and beliefs embedded into it that then reinforce the cultural beliefs. "Latinx" is a putting a simple band-aid and a severed limb.

I mentioned how Polynesian languages don't "gender" their language, but they do "status" it. When you speak a Polynesian language you have to constantly think if you are in a dominant or submissive position to others and then use terminology accordingly. (Much more than having to choose between "tu" and "vous", "tu" and "usted", etc - for example, possessives have two forms, dominant and submissive - ta'aku poki, my child in Rapanui, but to'oku matua, my parent). You are constantly reminded of your social position within the greater society every time you talk.

edit: I recently saw an independent French film with a title that "fascinated" me - L'homme de sa vie. There's no way to literally translate it into English; it's either "The man of his life" or "The man of her life". The film was about a heterosexually married man who fell in love with a gay guy. The title was purposely vague because it told three stories - the wife's story, the husband's story and the gay guy's story. The man of "sa vie" applied to all three of them, hence the ambiguity of the title. In English it was translated to "The man of my life" in an attempt to convey the same notion.

luftmensch repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They do have policies - they just can't tell you what they are because they are incredibly unpopular

This is the whole point of the Rick Scott fiasco.

He wrote down the truth. that the GOP plans to increase your taxes and take away all your entitlements

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but it means they're really shit at implementing them and back out at the drop of a hat.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, but they'll also prevent other people from having abortions, getting married, being able to vote ...

I'd hate to have to pay higher taxes, but pastor told me it's what God wants and those billionaires earned their money, so it's unfair to make them pay anything. :ninja:

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's the reason why McConnell kept the Filibuster - he doesn't have 50 votes for anything, and doesn't want to allow his caucus to split.

If you had basic majority votes, you would quite likely see coalitions emerge for smaller pieces of legislation that are broadly popular - things like immigration reform

dapip repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have wondering for a while why there are all those "emergency" exits...

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Also real reason that militias weren't restricted was not because they were seen as useful against dictators but because they were needed for slave uprisings.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the lowest price I saw was 600 USD.Who gives an 18 year old 1200 bucks no strings for their birthday?

Sounders78 repped this.
  23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or an armed right wing putsch.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hmm...what happened back then?

1529992509920890884 is not a valid tweet id

luftmensch and dapip repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Another benefit of restricting guns is that it would restrict the number of guns which are exported (mostly illegally) to Latin America and serve to destablize those societies.

superdave, bigredfutbol, spejic and 2 others repped this.
  26. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Another losing proposition for Republicans as that reduce the number of massive "caravans" of immigrants coming to the US from Latin America and Republicans could no longer use such things as a scare tactic to get votes.

Dr. Wankler repped this.