Time for a clearout

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by oheli_1, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oheli_1

oheli_1 New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Wenger should really sell some of his aging stars. Our team has not improved at all since the double winning season. Wenger can no longer live in his past if he wants to succeed. Just as Ferguson was brave enough to rebuild a great Manchester United team, Wenger should also do the same. Out: Campbell, Cygan , Pires, Bergkamp and Gilberto . IN: Simao, Mexes, Toure and some young center half(zubar maybe?)

2. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're a day late bud. Transfer window closed yesterday.

Should we have YES! Why we didn't I really don't know.

My guess is we really don't have money in the transfer pool. The papers in the UK on 1/1 said we had between £30m - £60m where was it?

3. SF Gooner

SF Gooner New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    tri state stunna
    Are these the same papers that said that Torres was going over to Sp*rs?

4. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United won the championship in '99 and went into '00 expected to repeat with pretty much the same lineup. Instead, they absolutely cratered and would have been relegated if it were an option in MLS. Management's answer to the disaster was to blow up a very veteran team (which included 3/4 of the USMNT back line) and start over with younger, cheaper, less experienced players.

Things got much worse for DC before they got better and it took DC a good three seasons to become respectable again. In retrospect I've come to think that the massive purges following the '00 season were counterproductive and really hurt the on-field stability of the club.

I say this because I can see an awful lot of senior Arsenal players getting let go after this season. Arsenal isn't subject to a salary cap and has the ability to bring in top flight talent where as a restructuring MLS team doesn't, but I would warn against a hasty and emotional urge to totally clean house after one disappointing season.

5. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I just want to say "To hell with Sol Campbell". If you are going to be a miserable cvnt on the pitch, please atleast try to support your teammates while they are actually trying to do well.