Timbers tryouts/invite

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by justakid, Jan 28, 2009.

1. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone been over to see the tryouts this past week. I know the one this past weekend was an "invite only", but I've seen nothing on it. I was told they are going to look to spend some money on an experienced keeper and keep a "current" as a backup then find another as a third string ? Any thoughts ?

2. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have better luck if you try here:
    talktimbers.com

Peace

3. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering what the deal was, not a very lively thread over here.

4. CCSFan

CCSFan New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    I did hear that they will get a couple of players from the invite-only group. Check out the video on the Timbers website. Also heard that Mike Pertz (6'5" defender) looked good andhould be called into camp. He trained with the club late last year and was impressive. He is currently playing with a PASL-Pro club, the Ohio Vortex.

5. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    I would be very, very surprised if they decided to bench Steve Cronin this season after the nice year he had in 2009. I'm also sure Steve knows that this season will be his tryout for the #1 in 2011. Given the amount of good GK talent who have already gone through Portland and may either be out of contract (Ray Burse) or possibly expendable and available in the expansion draft (Josh Wicks, Brad Knighton, Josh Saunders), I don't think GK is an immediate need at this time.

As for a third keeper, they have on occasion carried 3 keepers, but obviously that person rarely travels with the team or even gets playing time in exhibitions and friendlies.

6. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Brian Visser from Depaul still under contract with Portland ?

7. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Not as far as I'm aware. His name is not listed on the current roster. That's not saying that it's impossible for him to come back, but at this level 1-year contracts are far more common than 2-years or more.

8. iHaveAnOrangeItch

iHaveAnOrangeItch New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    You guys have picked up a great DMF in James Marcelin, true physical presence and has a nice longshot.

He also brings CCL and international experience.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn that Visser was listed by the club as "not returning".

10. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    He was definitely brought in with an eye towards 2011 and the chance to be our Shalrie Joseph. We're all very excited by his signing and he had a full fledged press conference in front of PGE Park this afternoon.