Tighten Up

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by Chairman Mau, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just some things we're getting lax on, imo.

We're really flat on the Go West (How wide do you want the goal/one-nil to the kc wiz) chants... I don't think people know the tune.

Some chants are speeding up... drummers need to keep the pace steady, we have enough issues getting off sync from one side of the stands to the other.

Everybody needs to relearn the Spanish chants. Some of them are pretty good.

2. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny, I haven't missed them at all.

3. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto...

sat on the side last night and thought the section sounded great without all those drums...though they bothered me in the "main" part of the section so not positive how much it changed the sound coming out

4. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having another leader on the other side of the goal was great. I usually sit over there and the chants are nowhere near as strong over there as they were last night. Almost everyone over there (by there, I mean the whole stand to the right of the main group) participated in not only the chants but the hand motions that go along with some of them. On nights where its more packed, I'd love to see perhaps another person in another part of the members stand helping lead. I think a lot of the borderline people feel more comfortable joining in when theres not only someone giving them permission, but encouraging them to join. Its kinda awkward if you're the only guy among 20 people around you REALLY into it all and I think that prevents people who would otherwise join in, well, join in.

5. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    We actually had three leaders the other night Jeff in the Center, I was one section over towards the club, and Jon (Jeffs Brother) was on the opposite side. I really think that having fewer drums was better.

6. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. While watching the game again, I could actually clearly tell the lyrics to our various chants and could keep up without having a trombone or drum drown them out most of the time. Actually sounded pretty great.

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Jonny won't be there Saturday but it did help. If someone wants to take up that spot on Saturday, I'd appreciate it.

8. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I feel like I've really overestimated the speed of sound my whole life, after watching the timing between people clapping on the sides of the stadium and us... although I wonder how that compares to the video delay... maybe it all works out in some strange way.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    If it sounds better with less drums, someone step up and tell the people who bring a crap load of drums to not bring as many. If we sound better without the spanish chants tell the people that start them not to. The reality is that La Barra's influence peaked a few years ago. When we were still fairly small in Arrowhead and the CAB the drums kept us going and made it better. After we grew into the hundreds we don't need them to "take over" like they sometimes still try and do.

That isn't being mean to them, I love having any and all fans in our section. But they, probably more specifically Hector, need to realize they aren't in the majority and trying to pull the majority in their direction makes the section worse overall.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hector's even said before the season he wanted less drums, and they only start Spanish chants when it's dead. We've mentioned lots of times that 1 bass drum is enough. Chants get started from outside the center all the time. whether or not it takes off is another story.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Good to know, I don't really talk with him since he shows up 30 minutes in to each match. :)

I've noticed less spanish which I think is a good thing. Not because the chants aren't good, I actually like some of them, but because newcomers have a hard time picking up the words to english chants let alone a chant that isn't in their language. As I've always said the chants we need to keep pushing should be shorts, simple and have hard syllables that drive home the sound.

I great example of this is "I Love, Kansas City. Sporting, Kansas City!"

12. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My only objection to the Spanish chants is half of us (at least?) didn't know them at CAB with 1/3rd of the people in the section. Seems impossible to imagine the section singing them now, and any chant that doesn't have that potential shouldn't happen. That said I can't remember one from this year however Hector and his gang have been fantastic at keeping us going a number of times.

Simple seems to be working well .... clap clap clap clap clap clap ... everybody ....

sticks in my head for hours afterwards, sets the stadium off.

Perfecto.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    The section was pretty good last night. It's still difficult to keep everyone on the same beat. Having people bang poles against the bleachers that clearly can't keep a beat doesn't help...

14. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... I went down to M9 because I wanted to hand sit entirely, I was kind of illing ... every bastard stood for the first 60 minutes until the heat started to take its inevitable tole.

I was kind of impressed. Cauldron looked amazing from out there.

15. Elías Remolque

Feb 24, 2008
    Buenos Aires
    Want to start off by saying the Cauldron has been awesome to be in this year! Major props to everyone for getting involved, especially those leading chants, organizing, etc. I've brought quite a few friends to the games who have had a blast that I fully anticipate will lead into an additional 3 or 4 season tix being sold next year.

I did want to point out a timing snafu from the Sounders game. I'm not sure if it will happen again, but we started the Wings of a Sparrow chant at the same time the announcer/Jumbotron was recognizing the child sitting in the Livestrong seat (is that the official name??). It took some time for everyone to realize what was going on, and the entire section eventually was clapping for the kid, but there was a good amount of time that Wings of a Sparrow was sung while he was being recognized. I know it was completely unintentional but I think it may be good to be cognizant of in the future, especially if Wings of a Sparrow is sung around the same time as whoever is in that seat is recognized.

Just my $0.02.

16. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  17. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't be chanted until late in the game.....I like this chant, but I hate hearing it early in a match, as well as several times during a match. Save it until late.....

18. BlacknBlueKC

BlacknBlueKC New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    The 913
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reason why The Cauldron hasn't done the "We Are Sporting" chant in awhile?

I personally liked it. Simple, easy for rest of stadium to join in, unique to MLS. No worries whatever the answer, just a chant I liked but haven't been hearing much of recently.

The "EVERYBODY" chant is organically growing into a stadium favorite. Great job so far this season guys. Sounding better with each passing match.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Agreed. I don't even participate after the 1st time. Once per game is enough.

20. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    ditto on any of the chants asking for a goal; also not keen on doing those chants when we're up... don't wanna seem pushy.

21. ComeOnYouWIZ!

ComeOnYouWIZ! New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    +1

I actually don't think there is ever a time that these chants are appropriate. I never join in on these.

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    We're missing the mark on two things IMO.
    1) KISS - I'm all for interjecting new chants but we tried one very early in the game. Early on is when we should be rolling through staple chants building energy, not having 10 people chanting a song that the other 1000 people don't know. Again, that isn't a knock on new chants or that one just the timing.
    2) The timing of "Come on Wizards score a goal...." - we sang this in the 2nd minute. Could we wait until maybe after the team has had a few chances to attack and them maybe break it out? Then we chant it again when we're up 3-1 late in the game???? This prompted me to start the "D-FENCE" chant which Spoon sarcastically responded to with the Chop that some people actually started doing. My point was that we needed to be focused on winning the game, chanting encouraging stuff like Ole or other longer chants that are loud and provide energy in a time when the players legs are dead. Not telling them to go score another one when all we need to do is defend our net.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put a different way, it is about the flow of the game. "The score a goal chant" shouldn't be done at least until late in the first half.

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Help get what situational cheers you think we need timed right by getting them started. All the chop and d-fense stuff just took more focus off the game. I think you're taking the C'mon sporting score a goal too literally and seriously - We all knew we needed to defend late in the game. It's just a fun song.

Wings of Sparrow was only done in the second half this game.

25. TheSmokingPun

TheSmokingPun Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also still need less drums. Sat a little closer into the Cauldron last night but there are others where I've been farther out and can't tell what chant we're on simply because I can hear is THUMP THUMP THUMP.